Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK eligible? Dad immograted to N.Z., born B4 '83

UK eligible? Dad immograted to N.Z., born B4 '83

Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK eligible? Dad immograted to N.Z., born B4 '83

Interesting thread, in that I've learned a thing or two (presuming information given here has been correct, of course!).

So whether or not your parents were ('legally') married makes a difference to your citizenship eligibility? Wow, I did not know that.

One question I have which hasn't been discussed:

The OP claims to already be both a US citizen AND a NZ citizen - dual national. Now, let's say that it is determined that he is indeed eligible for UK citizenship/passport - well, what then? Would he have to renounce citizenship of USA or NZ to be able to acquire UK citizenship/passport? Do any countries allow 'triple citizenship'? This is something I've often wondered.... Many immigrants for instance come out to NZ and Australia and gain citizenship for themselves and their kids after the requisite number of years as residents there .... and then find it doesn't suit them and decide to emigrate to elsewhere, often to North America. What happens if these dual nationals then decide they want to settle in NA, and want US or Canadian citizenship for themselves??
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

lwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Great. Well, it looks like the only possible way I could spin the wheel and lose is if the marriage certificate is void, which has been the hardest question to answer for a while now. Thanks everyone. Now i have a PhD in immigration issues. Anyone now where to get the best bangers and mash, or toad in the hole around London ? Skip that. I just heard that Curry is the most eaten dish in England, how about a good curry house ?

AS for the fees, I have some funding that will cover me for a bit in that regard, but makes a lot of things much easier, along with broadening my options after school. Don't mean to seem ungrateful for the research you did in way of fees. Very good to know all the same. Thank you.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
The OP claims to already be both a US citizen AND a NZ citizen - dual national. Now, let's say that it is determined that he is indeed eligible for UK citizenship/passport - well, what then? Would he have to renounce citizenship of USA or NZ to be able to acquire UK citizenship/passport? Do any countries allow 'triple citizenship'? This is something I've often wondered....
We have a poster here with UK, Canadian and US citizenships. We had a member a few years ago who had.. er 4 or 5, I don't remember.

Each country has its own rules. Germany, Japan, Thailand and Netherlands are a few I can think of off the top where people should be careful before adding another citizenship.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
We have a poster here with UK, Canadian and US citizenships. We had a member a few years ago who had.. er 4 or 5, I don't remember.

Each country has its own rules. Germany, Japan, Thailand and Netherlands are a few I can think of off the top where people should be careful before adding another citizenship.
Wow again! I'm quite surprised to hear this! So apparently UK and USA 'allow' (or perhaps more accurately 'cannot forbid' ?) multiple citizenship? I do recall reading somewhere that USA requires its citizens to travel into and out of USA on their US passport if they have dual citizenship. I also know that not too long ago, until it was tested in the courts and found to be (unconstitutional perhaps?), US citizens were led to believe that they could not legally hold dual (much less multiple!!) citizenship... A big jump then from not even being allowed dual citizenship, to being allowed..what? Triple, quadruple, even possibly limitless number of other concurrent citizenships!!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Wow again! I'm quite surprised to hear this! So apparently UK and USA 'allow' (or perhaps more accurately 'cannot forbid' ?) multiple citizenship? I do recall reading somewhere that USA requires its citizens to travel into and out of USA on their US passport if they have dual citizenship. I also know that not too long ago, until it was tested in the courts and found to be (unconstitutional perhaps?), US citizens were led to believe that they could not legally hold dual (much less multiple!!) citizenship... A big jump then from not even being allowed dual citizenship, to being allowed..what? Triple, quadruple, even possibly limitless number of other concurrent citizenships!!
All that is true.
The world moves on.

I'm hoping to pick up my evidence of 2nd citz very soon myself. Just hate being upstaged by the husband and my mother you know.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread, in that I've learned a thing or two (presuming information given here has been correct, of course!).

So whether or not your parents were ('legally') married makes a difference to your citizenship eligibility? Wow, I did not know that.
For those born before 1 July 2006 - yes, if the claim to citizenship is through the father. Although those under 18 can be registered British if they apply.

This is true of many countries, with different specifics and cut-off dates. Including the United States.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:00 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought it was 3 years.
Heh - a good reason for the OP to check out the facts from primary sources *him/herself* and not rely on internet punters!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Seems difficult to get 5 forms of citizenship though, definitely a challenge through birthright, or at least very rare. Can't imagine there are too many people with 5, though it would be great for a spy. I had someone in Thailand try to offer me $15,000-$20,000 for a passport, as long as I waited two weeks to report it. Someone else offered $20,000 for me to marry their daughter, along with round trip air far to Vietnam, and rent for three years. I was just starting school at the time, and tempted for 5/10ths of a second. ( I'm not in the black market, just travel a lot, and people seem to trust me.)

Some argue that the borders are gradually being outdated by globalism anyway. Not yet anyway.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Hello ~

I still seem to be having trouble with this. It appears that I should apply for citizenship, and not a passport initially. Here is a link for the different forms, but I don't see one for a person who's *father* is a British citizen, and who is over 18 years old ?

https://ukinusa-stage.fco.gov.uk/en/...ritish-citizen

Should I assume the "BOS" document, which is intended for "British subjects (under the British Nationality Act 1981) and British protected persons having no other citizenship or nationality." ??

Or Perhaps "UKM- Registration of a person as a British citizen born between 1961-1983 to a British mother" ??

Thanks

- L
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lwoolf
Hello ~

I still seem to be having trouble with this. It appears that I should apply for citizenship, and not a passport initially. Here is a link for the different forms, but I don't see one for a person who's *father* is a British citizen, and who is over 18 years old ?

https://ukinusa-stage.fco.gov.uk/en/...ritish-citizen

Should I assume the "BOS" document, which is intended for "British subjects (under the British Nationality Act 1981) and British protected persons having no other citizenship or nationality." ??

Or Perhaps "UKM- Registration of a person as a British citizen born between 1961-1983 to a British mother" ??

Thanks

- L
None of the above.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/how-to-apply

But you might wish to get something in writing from a California family law attorney explaining that your parent's marriage is valid (if in fact it is).