Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK electrical items.. will they work??

UK electrical items.. will they work??

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

alybain has a brilliant futurealybain has a brilliant futurealybain has a brilliant futurealybain has a brilliant futurealybain has a brilliant futurealybain has a brilliant future
Default UK electrical items.. will they work??

This might seem like an odd question but will electrical items from the UK work in the US??
Someone mentioned that the power is different? so will xbox/DVD player/CD player etc work properly?
Just wonereing if its worth shipping, or just selling here and buying new?

Also games for xbox.. are they compatible?

many thanks for reading this and for any responses
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 3:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK electrical items.. will they work??

You can buy transformers to get the stuff to work, but it isn't worth it. DVD players are cheap just make sure you get one that you can easily hack to make it multi region, so you can watch UK dvds on it. Just google to see how.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Easy answer - NO

We sold all the big stuff before we left. Stereo system that stepped down power didn't work. Computer charges will work, but will get hot.

As for games consoles. Games are region locked, so need europe console for games bought in UK, but US games won't play and vise versa
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 5:38 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

If your xbox collection is small, just sell it and buy it back on this end. If you've got loads, you can bring it over. I think HDMI may not matter about PAL vs. NTSC, but if you find it doesn't work, you can buy a format converter as opposed to bringing a british tv and then getting a transformer. You can run your xbox power supply using a plug adaptor, or just buy a power supply over here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/221222

For the rest of it, I wouldn't bother.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Really depends on what the items are if it's worthwhile or not.

Most computer-related stuff these days has chargers and PSUs that cope with voltages from 100-240Vs so those aren't much of an issue. There might be an issue with region settings with game consoles, for example...

As to Hifi equipment like CD players and amps, it's really a question of it being worth the hassle. Of course the first thing to check is if the components can digest 120V already. If not, it might or might not be worth it. I own some reasonably high endish UK-made Hifi kit (Cyrus) and contacted the manufacturer about getting it converted. They actually advised me to get a step-up transformer and even provided the info on how to size it. I've been running one of the two amps I have off a decent step-up transformed for the past 2 1/2 years without any issues. Sounds the same as it did in the UK.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tim

I also used to run my old UK Marantz amp off a transformer and it was fine.

Just about to treat myself to new gear for the first time in a decade. Looking, once again, at Marantz amp and KEF speakers as I love the combination.

I find in the US that there's not as many choices, especially with specialty amps.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alybain
This might seem like an odd question but will electrical items from the UK work in the US??
Someone mentioned that the power is different? so will xbox/DVD player/CD player etc work properly?
Just wonereing if its worth shipping, or just selling here and buying new?
Forget it, sell everything and put it towards new stuff when you get here.

In general, consumer electronics are cheaper here anyway.

If you have a recent tower computer that you really like and is well specced, you can check if the power supply unit is switchable between 110/230v. If not, you can ditch the 230v only one and put a 110v one in when it gets here. That's what I did with mine since I recently built it prior to finding out we were moving to the US. I took the PSU out before we shipped it to save on weight, and bought a 110v one when it got here.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Dec 24th 2012 at 2:35 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hotscot
Hi Tim

I also used to run my old UK Marantz amp off a transformer and it was fine.

Just about to treat myself to new gear for the first time in a decade. Looking, once again, at Marantz amp and KEF speakers as I love the combination.

I find in the US that there's not as many choices, especially with specialty amps.
I noticed that there either seems to be a lack of the "cottage industries" that you find in the UK - which might well be the case - or I haven't figured out where to look for them yet. I'm hoping it's the latter.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 2:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot

If you find yourself in the Boston area, there's a few really decent audio shops that high end gear...but probably easier to just go direct to the manufacturers for the gear as finding Marantz and NAD seem much trickier here :/
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at a Marantz pm6004 for a new amp. Hard to find at the moment, seems quite popular.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice

Converting 110V to 220V can easily be done by using a step-up volt converter, and are plentiful on Amazon.com, etc. (ex: http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource-STU.../dp/B0022U0MSQ)

A thougher issue is 50Hz used in Europe vs 60Hz used in the US. Most appliances states if they support 50 and/or 60Hz. Appliances using heating elements only (like a toaster) only will work fine on both.

We've been runnig xbox360. surround receiver, printer, kitchen appliances, DVD player, etc on voltage converters without any issues. (1000W to 3000W converters, depending on what's plugged in)
Old Dec 29th 2012, 1:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovik

We've been runnig xbox360. surround receiver, printer, kitchen appliances, DVD player, etc on voltage converters without any issues. (1000W to 3000W converters, depending on what's plugged in)
For occasional use items it ain't a problem, for daily running, you'd want it in writing that the insurance company doesn't have a problem with them being used or they might void the cover in the event the place burns down.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

We brought over a couple of electrical items which were 120v/220v compatible and they work fine. We replaced everything else.
But I had a fairly new Canon inkjet scanner/printer/copier so I kept that as it was compatible. But the first time I ordered ink from the US I found that Canon ink is region coded and only UK/European cartridges work!