Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK EDUCATED NURSE STRUGGLING TO GET LICENSE IN PA.

UK EDUCATED NURSE STRUGGLING TO GET LICENSE IN PA.

Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

jennyday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK EDUCATED NURSE STRUGGLING TO GET LICENSE IN PA.

I have been living here in Pennsylvania for nearly 3 years.
We moved here with my husband's job, he is on an L1 visa and we are at the final adjustment stage of getting Green Cards.

I am a Registered Nurse in the UK and am attempting to get licensure here.
I have successfully completed the CGFNS Certification Program, but now the PA State Nursing Board will not accept my academic transcripts to authorize me to sit the NCLEX Exam.
Wondered if anyone else has had trouble with this and, if so, how it was overcome.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK EDUCATED NURSE STRUGGLING TO GET LICENSE IN PA.

Lot of it probably depends on when you studied in the UK and what exactly was covered.

There's quite a few threads on here you could search out, and also the nursing sub forum here has some info, but also all-nurses.com site.

It's not easy, you've got to do what the state wants you to do.

Welcome to BE though.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot will depend on what your transcripts state and that you have clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and General Adult. The state should give you a reason to why they will not accept your transcripts.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

How old the transcripts are too can make a difference. What I mean is when you originally finished nursing school and became an RN in UK. I think here 10 years is their limit.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to tell us why they won't accept them if you want ideas about how to get around it.

I have been licensed and working in PA ~3 years also.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:37 am
Just Joined

jennyday is an unknown quantity at this point

They say there is not enough detail of clinical and theoretical hours for all the individual subject areas, ie mental health, midwifery, etc etc.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

My wife had the same problem with the Texas State Board.
At first they said she did not have enough Pediatrics and did not mention Psychiatry. The thing is she was a registered sick childrens nurse and never did any psych which was totally backwards to what the State Board evaluated.

She asked her nursing school to try send more details asked the State Board to reevaluate and then they said 'OK you just need some psych training'.

It was obvious the transcripts were not what they were used to seeing.
This was 30 years ago so things may have changed by now.