Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to East Coast

UK to East Coast

Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:17 am
Just Joined

patience31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to East Coast

Think I'm on the right thread with this now...... (Maybe not!!!)

Hi.. My husband's job is moving us from UK to East Coast. Very excited.......very overwhelmed... Found this site whilst trawling internet- great advice already thanks!
So: We're looking around the triangle of Allentown/Philadelphia/New York areas (husband happy to do hour+ commute to office in Allentown). Priorities: family living, school for our 6 year old daughter, in town rather than outside in sticks-usual stuff.
Happy to hear from anyone with advice!
P
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to East Coast

Originally Posted by patience31
Think I'm on the right thread with this now...... (Maybe not!!!)

Hi.. My husband's job is moving us from UK to East Coast. Very excited.......very overwhelmed... Found this site whilst trawling internet- great advice already thanks!
So: We're looking around the triangle of Allentown/Philadelphia/New York areas (husband happy to do hour+ commute to office in Allentown). Priorities: family living, school for our 6 year old daughter, in town rather than outside in sticks-usual stuff.
Happy to hear from anyone with advice!
P
Congratulations & welcome. You're probably going to want to look in and around Allentown, because the greater New York and Philadelphia (to almost the same degree), areas are extremely expensive. My sister lived in Easton for a while, which was nice enough, about 30 miles east of Allentown, but given the chances of winter weather in that area that is significantly worse than you're probably used to, I wouldn't recommend living further from your husband's office than reasonably necessary. That said, most Americans seem to choose the school that they want for their children (school quality and reputation can vary enormously and your address strictly determines which school your child will attend) and work back from there to decide where to live, so you should start by researching schools, and then look only at houses in the area(s) where the schools are acceptable. If you only have one child, and if the house price/rent differential is high enough, a private school and lower cost home may make economic sense.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 8th 2013 at 9:41 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

patience31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you-appreciated.
I should say that the office in Allentown won't be a full time, 5 day a week journey-hence our being open to a longer commute possibly.
(He's been commuting from here for the last two years so it can only be better!!!!). But I take your point about the weather.
You're right about schools becoming a dominant factor-unfortunately!
Thanks again for advice
P
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patience31
Thank you-appreciated.
I should say that the office in Allentown won't be a full time, 5 day a week journey-hence our being open to a longer commute possibly.
(He's been commuting from here for the last two years so it can only be better!!!!). But I take your point about the weather.
You're right about schools becoming a dominant factor-unfortunately!
Thanks again for advice
P
If you haven't already found it check out greatschools.org. And Zillow for real estate housing. Zillow lists what school district a house is in so it's helpful.
Now then you say your child is 6? You do realize that in the states kids start school a year later than the UK? So you might have to talk to the school about which grade is appropriate for her.
Good luck and welcome (ps what visas will you be on?)
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

Allentown PA is a great place to live for your family, they even have a great theme park right there in the city. The commute from Philly or NYC can be Hell so try and get a home as near as possible to your husbands work place. The out lying smaller towns and villages are very nice and idylic..
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second the earlier comments. I worked in Allentown when I first moved to the US, stayed in Emmaus which is on the outskirts of Allentown.
Theres not much between Allentown/Easton and NJ for quite a few miles, probably 30 or so miles, and it does get hit hard with snow. I had more snow days at home in Allentown in my first 2 months than I had in 10 years in Aberdeen.

If you're looking for a longer commute and a more major metro area I know a few people who commute from King of Prussia in the Philly suburbs to Allentown. It's a straight run up the toll road. My sister in law lives in that area and says its very family friendly.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

If you want specific information about Allentown and surrounding areas it's also worth checking City Data.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Georgia, but my wife was raised in Quakertown, just south of Allentown. It seems to be a good area with good commuting to Allentown and not too far outside Philly for a concert/night out/weekend away.

If you're into theme parks, there's Dorney Park not too far away and the schools seem to be pretty good.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 1:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Impressions from a few visits and of the missus going to uni in Allentown, is a bit of a has been dump....nice his and hers colleges in town, but it's really not that great a place, all the cons of a student town without any of the benefits, apart from Six Flags type theme park if you've got kids.

Plenty of really nice other towns nearby though and well situated to get to other decent big cities, so not all bad and very cool Quaker stuff in the area.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Impressions from a few visits and of the missus going to uni in Allentown, is a bit of a has been dump. ....
Doesn't that describe most cities north and west of Philadelphia all the way from Buffalo, NY to Gary, IN?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 10th 2013 at 2:15 am.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Doesn't that describe most cities north and west of Philadelphia all the way from Buffalo, NY to Gary, IN?
No, not really.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
No, not really.
All but a total of five counties in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan, and most of Indiana apart from the SW corner, have experienced significant or catastrophic loss of manufacturing jobs, mostly with not much coming in to replace those jobs. Although the area extends further east and west, the cities of Buffalo, Bethlehem, Allentown, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Gary pretty much define "The Rust Belt".

The Rust Belt
Old Sep 10th 2013, 1:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All but a total of five counties in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan, and most of Indiana apart from the SW corner, have experienced significant or catastrophic loss of manufacturing jobs, mostly with not much coming in to replace those jobs. Although the area extends further east and west, the cities of Buffalo, Bethlehem, Allentown, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Gary pretty much define "The Rust Belt".

The Rust Belt
Yes, but I wouldn't say most towns are a dump, Gary IN being an exception, that place really was ponging.

Buffalo was surprisingly, despite a friend from there saying it is a dump, not that bad, neither was Cleveland.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Allentown as in the song?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Allentown as in the song?
Yup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.