British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   uk driving restrictions in the states (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-driving-restrictions-states-109448/)

the fox Jul 13th 2002 9:41 pm

uk driving restrictions in the states

i have a full uk car and bike licence can i use it when i move to the states and for how long, and do i need to take the US driving test or just convert mine

Ptarmigan Jul 13th 2002 10:13 pm

Re: uk driving restrictions in the states

As I understand it, from the DMV in oklahoma, you can use the licence as a visitor to the states, but when you move here you are a resident, and so have to take a US test, which involves a theory test and driving test.

I had a full UK licence with HGV, none of it counts over here sadly/

The test is however absurdly easy

pezeke Jul 13th 2002 10:20 pm

depends on states also. Michigan requires a vision test, driving test and a paper test. PLus you have to show employment, birthcertificate, passport, etc..... According to Michigan to get license you have to be resident and to prove that is employment etc..

Maarten W.G. An Jul 14th 2002 6:20 am

"the fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > i have a full uk car and bike licence can i use it when i move to the states and
    > for how long, and do i need to take the US driving test or just convert mine

The United States does not recognize any foreign driver licenses. (I am told this
is because every single state has slightly different traffic rules and every DMV
would have to make its own deal with a foreign country. Too much hassle, so they
did not bother).

You will need to take a written test, and a driving test.

Maarten

Bastian Freitag Jul 14th 2002 8:20 am

Texas DL (long)

I got this mail yesterday...

Bastian

Dear Sir or Madam:

This is in response to your recent email inquiry concerning the issuance of a Texas
Driver License.

In addition to testing, all first time original applicant must visit the local driver
license office in their area and present or do the following: Birth Certificate or
Passport, Proof of Social Security number, Proof of Vehicle Registration (if you own
a vehicle, if not then completion of a DL-28 form "Motor Vehicle Affidavit" stating
non-ownership of a motor vehicle), Pass Vision examination, Proof of Liability
Insurance, Surrender your Out-of-State driver license, Complete DL-14A "Application
for Texas Driver License", and pay the required fee.

As well, all original applicants for a driver license or identification certificate
must present proof of identity satisfactory to the Department. There are 3 categories
of documents that may be presented to establish that acceptable proof of identity:

(1) Standalone identification. These items are complete within themselves and require
no supporting instruments:

(A) Valid or expired Texas driver license (DL) or Texas Identification certificate
(ID) with photo.

(B) U.S. passport.

(C) U.S. citizenship (naturalization) certificate with identifiable photo.

(D) U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service document with verified data and
identifiable photo.

(E) Valid photo DL or photo ID issued by another (U.S.) state, Puerto Rico, or the
District of Columbia.

(F) U.S. military ID card with identifiable photo.

(G) Valid passport issued by a foreign country with a valid U.S. visa.

(2) Documented identification. These items are recorded governmental documents (U.S.,
1 of the 50 states, a U.S. Territory, District of Columbia) whose authenticity
can be verified (traceable to an original source for confirmation or refutation):

(A) Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by the appropriate State
Bureau of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency.

(B) Original or certified copy of U.S. Department of State Certification of Birth
(issued to U.S. citizens born abroad).

(C) Original or certified copy of court order with name and date of birth (DOB).

For applicants born before 1961, the following items would be acceptable in
this category:

(D) Original or certified copy of Form DD-214.

(E) Original or certified copy of other state or federal governmental record that
states name and date of birth (DOB) (such as U.S. Census records or Social
Security Administration records).

(3) Supporting identification. These items consist of other records or documents that
aid examining personnel in establishing the identity of the applicant. The
following items are listed as examples only and should not be construed as an
absolute list of "must have" items:

(A) Public school records

(B) Infant baptismal records

(C) Insurance policy (at least two years old giving name and date of birth)

(D) Vehicle title

(E) Home mortgage records

(F) Marriage license

(G) Two years of utility bills

(H) Certified children's birth certificate

(I) Library card

(J) Military records

(K) Award or certificate from educational institution

(L) Voter registration card

(M) Social security card

(N) Pilot's license

(O) Concealed handgun license

(P) Texas driver license temporary receipt

(4) Every original applicant must present:

(A) one piece of standalone identification, or

(B) one piece of documented identification plus one or more pieces of supporting
identification.

Additionally, the Department of Public Safety is acting in accordance with
legislation passed during the 74th legislative session when it collects an
applicant's social security number during the driver license issuance process. The
primary purpose of this statute is to assist in the administration of laws related
to child support enforcement. Please be assured that the social security
information entered on the driver record is confidential and is not printed on the
actual driver license. Furthermore, it may only be disclosed for child support and
law enforcement purposes.

Additionally, there is a way to get a driver license without having a social
security number issued. You will need to contact the Social Security Administration
and obtain a Denial Letter from them, specifying why she was denied. The Social
Security Administration (SSA) and The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) have
worked together to compose a letter to accommodate both the SSA and DPS's needs as
well as those of the public. Please contact the SSA for information on how to obtain
a denial letter.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service Bureau at
512-424-2600.

Sincerely,

Cathy Chavana, Administrative Technician II

License Issuance Bureau

Denis Barlow Jul 14th 2002 9:20 am

"Maarten W.G. Andriessen" <@.dutchusa.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "the fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > i have a full uk car and bike licence can i use it when i move to the states and
    > > for how long, and do i need to take the US driving test or just convert mine
    >
    > The United States does not recognize any foreign driver licenses. (I am told this
    > is because every single state has slightly different traffic rules and every DMV
    > would have to make its own deal with a foreign country. Too much hassle, so they
    > did not bother).
    >
    > You will need to take a written test, and a driving test.
    >
    > Maarten

And also another test for the motorcycle.

Denis

Oh, and be prepared for the fact that US insurance rates are generally much higher
both for cars and motorcycles. Don't even try to get insurance using your UK license.

Strike Jul 17th 2002 12:20 am

Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as 'Re: uk driving
restrictions in the states' and 'Maarten W.G. Andriessen: tasty but deadly.'

>The United States does not recognize any foreign driver licenses.

Not so. New York State honors valid foreign driving licenses with no need to take any
test, practical or written. In fact NYS makes it quite hard for non-PRs to get a NYS
license (it can take as a long as a year since they will not issue it until they
confirm with the INS as to your current immigrant/non-immigrant status.)

Every time I have enquired with NY DMV on the subject, they tell me to just use my UK
license indefinitely.

Of course every state is different.

Cheers,

Marco

rogerpenycate Jul 17th 2002 12:33 am

I "swapped emails" with an extremely helpful lady in Virginia.
basically I can drive on my UK lisence for the first month and then by Virginia law I have to apply for a Virgina licence.
And....at 52 I have to take a driving test UGH

janesays Jul 17th 2002 1:20 am

> >The United States does not recognize any foreign driver licenses.

I actually phone the Maryland DVM as they don't seem to answer emails, it kind of
annoys me that companies and organisations invite you to email and then never answer,
but that's another thing,

anyway, I digress, apparently I can drive on my UK licence for one year but in that
time I have to resit my test and convert to a Maryland licence.

Alan

Seahorsea1 Jul 17th 2002 3:07 am

I finally took my driving test on July 3rd, it is nothing like the UK test. I was on a public road for 50 yards if that, turned right out of the car park onto the public road, then turned first right to the loading bays for the shops where the test center is. All of my manouvers were done in the loading bays. No other moving vehicles anywhere in sight. How they could tell whether I was able to drive the car on public roads with other traffic I have no idea. Hey I passed, a bit hard not to really :)

Ameriscot Jul 17th 2002 9:02 am

There is an international treaty that allows visitors to the US to drive on their own national license for one year, and this covers you when you first arrive.

However, you then have to follow your state law for new residents. Most (all?) states require you to get a state license soon after taking up residence, around a month being a typical timeframe. There is often a debate about whether a K1'er is a new resident or not because they aren't yet permanent residents in the eyes of the INS, but the state licensing authorities do not use the same rules as the INS - if you are living in the state, then you are a resident as far as they are concerned.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that anyone arriving in the US gets a local driving license as a priority. Insurance rates are likely to be astronomical without a local license. A driving license is also the standard form of identification in the US and is frequently demanded by all sorts of officials.

Frankly, when you first arrive in the US, you don't have a awful lot to occupy your time - no job yet, etc. It's an ideal time to sort out the driving license. Even if your state is fuzzy about how they deal with your immigration status, I think it is still worth presenting yourself at their offices early on, rather than just accepting what they have on their websites. If they are going to reject you for any reasons related to immigration, get them to give you the rejection letter in writing.

Road test or not? Some states will give you a license without testing you (which seems really weird to me). Expect a written test, maneuverability test, and road test. It won't be a big deal compared to the UK test, although it is worth swotting up for the written test.

Grahame And Lau Jul 17th 2002 6:20 pm

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >The United States does not recognize any foreign driver licenses.
    >
    > I actually phone the Maryland DVM as they don't seem to answer emails, it kind of
    > annoys me that companies and organisations invite you to email and then never
    > answer, but that's another thing,
    >
    > anyway, I digress, apparently I can drive on my UK licence for one year but in that
    > time I have to resit my test and convert to a Maryland licence.
    >
    > Alan

I'm in MD too. To get a licence (sorry, license) as well as the driving test I had to
do a drug/alchohol course. I was disappointed - they didn't give us ay of either :)
We watched a british video telling us about "whizz" and "eez" and then I did a
multiple choice test. The drugs/alchohol test results are valid for 3 months in MD so
you can do that early on when you've got more time on your hands.

Paul Wells Jul 17th 2002 11:20 pm

[email protected] (Grahame and Laura) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > >The United States does not recognize any foreign driver licenses.
    > >
    > > I actually phone the Maryland DVM as they don't seem to answer emails, it kind of
    > > annoys me that companies and organisations invite you to email and then never
    > > answer, but that's another thing,
    > >
    > > anyway, I digress, apparently I can drive on my UK licence for one year but in
    > > that time I have to resit my test and convert to a Maryland licence.
    > >
    > > Alan
    >
    > I'm in MD too. To get a licence (sorry, license) as well as the driving test I had
    > to do a drug/alchohol course. I was disappointed - they didn't give us ay of either
    > :) We watched a british video telling us about "whizz" and "eez" and then I did a
    > multiple choice test.

Did you just tick "sorted" for each one?

--
paul

Seahorsea1 Jul 18th 2002 12:15 am

I was told that I had to do the drugs and alchohol course before I could do the multiple choice test in Florida. When I went to the test centre to do the written test, they told me that I had been misinformed, because I'd previously held a full UK licence I didn't need to do it. Too late, it would be nice if they could give you the correct information though.

Denis Barlow Jul 18th 2002 4:20 am

I took mine at 52 here in Phoenix, reversed into a kerbside parking space and a drive
round the block (5 right turns) and that was it!

--
Denis

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I "swapped emails" with an extremely helpful lady in Virginia. basically I can
    > drive on my UK lisence for the first month and then by Virginia law I have to apply
    > for a Virgina licence. And....at 52 I have to take a driving test UGH
    >
    >
    >
    > --