Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK driving liscence

UK driving liscence

Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

dave f is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK driving liscence

when i entered the US i was told i can use my UK licence in the state of kentucky for one year then i must get a US licence, i recently spoke to an xpat who has been here for 5 years and he told me he was still using his UK liscence, my question is do i need to change my licence after one year .

Last edited by dave f; Jan 10th 2004 at 10:36 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Dave,
I think you can use it for a year or so before you have to get a US license but im not sure, it will make your insurance cheaper to just take the test here, its a peice of piss, 10 minutes around the block.
Where abouts in KY are you gonna be?? Im in Bowling Green, about 2 hours south of Louisville and an hour north of Nashville
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:28 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Your best bet is to check out the DMV site for relevant information on rules and regulations for your state.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 1:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving liscence

Originally posted by dave f
when i entered the US i was told i can use my UK liscence in the state of kentucky for one year then i must get a US liscence, i recently spoke to an xpat who has been here for 5 years and he told me he was still using his UK liscence, my question is do i need to change my liscence after one year .
It depends on a combination of your state laws (all licences are state issued) and your visa status. I hear that some states never require a local licence for people on temporary, say H1/H2 or L1 visas, so that might explain your buddy.

BTW The process to obtain a licence here is nothing but a minor irritation, the test is embarrassingly easy to take, and I'd recommend getting it out of the way now, so that you can get on with your life.

There will also be some advantages to getting a local licence - such as getting cheaper insurance, and probably a wider choice of insurers, .... and also having an ID that is widely recognized, e.g. for buying alcohol, when you cash a check, or if a store asks for ID when buying using a credit or debit card.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2004 at 9:39 am.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 1:33 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dave f
when i entered the US i was told i can use my UK licence in the state of kentucky for one year then i must get a US licence, i recently spoke to an xpat who has been here for 5 years and he told me he was still using his UK liscence, my question is do i need to change my licence after one year .
The one year rule only applied if you are temporary visitor if you have become a state resident then you will need a US licence sooner. In Mississippi you get 60 days to get a state licence in other states you get more or sometimes less. You need to check the rulkes of your own state. If you drive with an invalid Uk licence you should note that will also not be insured having breached one of the terms of the insurance contract.

i agree with Pulaski get a US licence asap. Its not tough and the test is easy enough.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Dunca is an unknown quantity at this point

I had been holding back on getting a US license for a while (whilst i was hiring cars)...

Now I've bought one, under the terms of our insurance we need to get a valid US license within 30 days!!!

Just my pennys worth (or my two cents)...(Funny these are now worth just about the same :-))

Dunca
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:07 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I'd get a US licence ASAP. I was hiring cars on my UK licence and paid 2 and a half times over the odds because I didn't have a US licence. Go to www.dollar.com and get a quote for a specific car for specific days, and then go to www.dollar.co.uk and do the same quote for the same car and number of days, and you'll see what I mean. Same car, same days, same pick-up point, same insurance....completely different price! As for getting insurance on a UK licence, don't even go there! I got my US licence last week and not a moment too soon!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:54 am
Just Joined

alhanson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK driving liscence

Interested in what you say Rockgurl, but having both UK and Florida driving licences recently I asked Alamo to quote me & they admitted that unless I am getting "free insurance" through a US credit card (which I don't have), Alamo car rental issued from Europe is cheaper than renting a similar car from Alamo in the US & buying from them a reasonable level of insurance cover.

I've had the "best" insurance cover when renting from Britain, eg currently from Britain renting an intermediate car for £129 a week with $1 million insurance cover. This £129 a week may not be particularly cheap, but it does gives me some peace of mind.

I've not had a claim (yet, touch wood) but feel it would be much easier to "get through" a claimworthy incident as a "foreigner renting a car with the hire company's $1 million insurance" than as a "temporary resident with my own car & Florida insurance company & their low level of affordable cover."

However, I have owned cars in Florida; they were insured in Florida to the minimum level required by Florida law. It was poor cover at a very high price. Before I had a Florida driver's license, the Florida insurance company (at my request) attached a letter to my policy documents confirming my UK driving licence was acceptable for the purposes of their insurance policy. Nevertheless, in anticipation of possible difficulties I obtained a Florida license within weeks of buying my first car in Florida.