Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Driving License when passed US test

Wikiposts

UK Driving License when passed US test

Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

andrew1973 is just really niceandrew1973 is just really niceandrew1973 is just really niceandrew1973 is just really niceandrew1973 is just really niceandrew1973 is just really niceandrew1973 is just really niceandrew1973 is just really nice
Default Re: UK Driving License when passed US test

The licence is property of either you or the DVLA which I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't have anything to do with Georgia.

I know that if you have a licence for one state and move to another you have to surrender your old state licence in order to get your new state licence but this is not the same issue.

If they're going to make a deal of it. I think the simple thing is to tell them you've lost it, left it in the UK whatever but don't let them have it.

I had issues trying to get a licence in Colorado despite having one in Wisconsin. They said I had no right to have a Colorado licence because I didn't work for a Colorado company.

I had paid tax in Colorado at the time, I owned a home in Colorado and they still wouldn't play ball. I told them that my visa said I could live where ever I liked in the US and how come I had had a Wisconsin licence for years without any problems. In the end they backed down after many faxes, threats of legal action et cetera.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:31 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew1973
The licence is property of either you or the DVLA which I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't have anything to do with Georgia.

I know that if you have a licence for one state and move to another you have to surrender your old state licence in order to get your new state licence but this is not the same issue.

If they're going to make a deal of it. I think the simple thing is to tell them you've lost it, left it in the UK whatever but don't let them have it.

I had issues trying to get a licence in Colorado despite having one in Wisconsin. They said I had no right to have a Colorado licence because I didn't work for a Colorado company.

I had paid tax in Colorado at the time, I owned a home in Colorado and they still wouldn't play ball. I told them that my visa said I could live where ever I liked in the US and how come I had had a Wisconsin licence for years without any problems. In the end they backed down after many faxes, threats of legal action et cetera.
I just checked my travel folder. I apparently have three UK driving licences on two different UK addresses and one US one.

Does this mean I am a genuine Kriminal ?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:32 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I just checked my travel folder. I apparently have three UK driving licences on two different UK addresses and one US one.

Of course you are Terry you're a bloody scouser what else could you be?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
Great - I guess if I get stopped and I am ever in a rental car, I can give them my UK one and not get any points on my US one... Not that I would do that though, cos I am sure that would be illegal...
Yeah, if you're in a rental, otherwise you're busted when you show your insurance policy and you have a US address.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't think they could put a non UK address on your license?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:15 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Of course you are Terry you're a bloody scouser what else could you be?
I am not a bloody Scouser, ya scumbag, I am a Pot-Herb.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:17 pm

I didn't think they could put a non UK address on your license?
I have one paper UK license with the address of my old farm in the Peak District, one paper license with my Mother's address and one new-style license with my Mother's address. Apparently, the system really lets you do that. Then I have my FL license.

The travel bag looks like a prop from the Bourne Identity.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

I have one paper UK license with the address of my old farm in the Peak District, one paper license with my Mother's address and one new-style license with my Mother's address. Apparently, the system really lets you do that.
I did actually read after I had requested a replacement that you are only allowed, by law, to hold one license at a time :s

Oh well... If they do take it from me - then I'll be legal again
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:38 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I did actually read after I had requested a replacement that you are only allowed, by law, to hold one license at a time :s

Oh well... If they do take it from me - then I'll be legal again
I'm in PA. They didn't take my UK licence, they did want to see it though..but then copied it and handed it back.
What disturbed me the most was the fact that they took copies of my passport, visa and two utility bills with my name on. I don't care about the bills but I was a bit uneasy about the passport and visa.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I'm in PA. They didn't take my UK licence, they did want to see it though..but then copied it and handed it back.
What disturbed me the most was the fact that they took copies of my passport, visa and two utility bills with my name on. I don't care about the bills but I was a bit uneasy about the passport and visa.
The US really needs to have a federal driving license. I mean, it is one country after all - then they can apply the same rules to everyone. And it not like its only a few states where people drive!

Also - would save costs... Wouldn't have to get a new license when you move from state to state and your driving record would follow you too!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:43 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Also - would save costs... Wouldn't have to get a new license when you move from state to state and your driving record would follow you too!
It would save *you* money but the states would miss out on a chance to charge yet-another-fee to supplement their income.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It would save *you* money but the states would miss out on a chance to charge yet-another-fee to supplement their income.
Thats a good point... lol