Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Driving License when passed US test

Wikiposts

UK Driving License when passed US test

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving License when passed US test

Originally Posted by ian1976
Interesting thread. When I moved to the UK fom Australia I had to send my Victorian licence to the DVLA and apparantly they send it back to the issuing authority to have it cancelled. I imagine they do a similar thing in GA? i.e. they send it back to the DVLA.
Your kidding ..The US denies that any other country exists ...
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:53 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian1976
Interesting thread. When I moved to the UK fom Australia I had to send my Victorian licence to the DVLA and apparantly they send it back to the issuing authority to have it cancelled. I imagine they do a similar thing in GA? i.e. they send it back to the DVLA.
what's that

Last edited by TruBrit; Sep 3rd 2007 at 8:57 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
what's that
May be he means the place Victoria in Oz
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
what's that
Oz.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:39 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Your kidding ..The US denies that any other country exists ...
Except when they need a war.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has been thru itearlier this year yes Georgia DDS (Department of Driver Services) will take your UK licence off you when they issue you your temporary Georgia licence (temporary because they will only issue it until your visa expiration datein the case of L1 3 years ), i would suggest that you give them only 1 part of your UK licence, they will shred it as soon as your new one is issued, they will not post it back to the UK. You are doing the right thing getting a replacement before you leave.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vimto
As someone who has been thru itearlier this year yes Georgia DDS (Department of Driver Services) will take your UK licence off you when they issue you your temporary Georgia licence (temporary because they will only issue it until your visa expiration datein the case of L1 3 years ), i would suggest that you give them only 1 part of your UK licence, they will shred it as soon as your new one is issued, they will not post it back to the UK. You are doing the right thing getting a replacement before you leave.
Contrary to the above information I would suggest you keep your mouth shut and tell Georgia DDS that you never had a British driving licence in the first place, they are not going to phone up Swansea and ask and its NOT theirs to ask for...it belongs to HM Government.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rushman
Contrary to the above information I would suggest you keep your mouth shut and tell Georgia DDS that you never had a British driving licence in the first place, they are not going to phone up Swansea and ask and its NOT theirs to ask for...it belongs to HM Government.
I think I'll just play it by ear... If they insist that they have my UK license then I will ask them why they want it...
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
I think I'll just play it by ear... If they insist that they have my UK license then I will ask them why they want it...
Surely you do not have a UK license...
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elvira
Surely you do not have a UK license...
Woo-hoo.. My 100th post...

Yes - I have a UK Driving license.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Woo-hoo.. My 100th post...

Yes - I have a UK Driving license.
<<<sigh>>>

No you do not...
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: UK Driving License when passed US test

Hey all,

I am moving out to Atlanta in a couple of weeks and I'll need to get a local driving license while I am there.

I am not worried about having to do the test, but I know that I'll have to relinquish my UK driving License in order to get a GA one.

So - my question is, what happens to my UK one when I give it to them? Not that I don't trust them to destroy it, but I would rather not have someone wandering around using my license. Do I have to give them both parts or just the photo card? Also, would it be worth getting a replacement before I go (tell DVLA that I lost it) and when I have to hand over my license, give them my old one that was reported lost? That way I'll still have a UK license to use when I am back in the UK and even if someone does happen to 'find' my old relinquished UK license, it will be invalid as it will have been reported lost.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Here's what I did.........

I gave the DMV my UK licence, then, using my mother's address back the UK, I reported my UK licence lost to the DVLA, who promptly issued me a replacement.

If they do not ask you........do not volunteer the information

Jim.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Here's what I did.........

I gave the DMV my UK licence, then, using my mother's address back the UK, I reported my UK licence lost to the DVLA, who promptly issued me a replacement.

If they do not ask you........do not volunteer the information

Jim.
Certinaly, if they don't ask for it - I am not going to tell them 'Oh - I have a UK License here that I believe you will take from me'.

But - if they do, I have already ordered my replacement, so it dosent really matter now...
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

your not swapping your license, getting a new one, so they dont' need to even know you have a foreign license because it won't mean jack to them anyway, and it's not yours but the UK governments, so tell 'em to sod off if they ask, but you don't even need to mention you've a license.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
When I got my first US driving license in NYC nobody asked me for my UK licence. I took the full test anyway.

When I moved to FL I surrendered my NY license to get my FL one.

I would be surprised if they would accept your UK license anyway. You will probably have to take the full test, which is a piece of cake anyway.

I still have my UK license, both the silly paper part and the photo card.
Ditto.
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.