Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK driving license

UK driving license

Old May 24th 2012, 3:04 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license

Some of the assertions in this thread surprised and concerned me, so I have been doing some research and find some confusing information.

I will say that my personal experience of hiring a car in UK was in 2008. At that time I had with me both a Florida licence and my old UK licence (from 2003 when I applied for the early photo card version). I don't honestly remember which one I used . It never occurred to me there was an issue either way and there was none.

I have seen a number of threads on the DL topic and it is obviously contentious. At the risk of hijacking this thread, here is what I discovered today.

Quotes are from the booklet INS57P indicated on my licence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_067673.pdf

"Photocard driving licences are only valid for up to 10 years. The expiry of the photo on a drivers’ licence does not affect the validity period of the entitlement shown on the licence."
***My card/photo will expire in 2013

"After the age of 70, you will have to update your photo once only. This will be when you renew your actual licence."
***My paper licence is and always has been valid until I am 70.

"Moving to another country
If you move to another country, you should get information about driving there from the relevant authority in that country.

If you return here from a country that is not in the EC or EEA and you do not have a GB licence, you may:
• drive for up to 12 months on a valid licence that is not a GB licence; or
• apply for a replacement of your previous GB licence by paying the appropriate fee and giving up any foreign licence you hold."
***It does not say you need to do anything if you DO have a GB licence.(except update address)

Here's the thing, on the back of the paper licence, item 5: You must tell DVLA at once of any permanent change of address...//...You need only notify a change of address in GB. An address outside GB cannot be entered on your licence.

**Does having an out of date address on the card & paper make the licence invalid, given that there is no means to get the right address on it...?

Anyway. I get that it will be unlikely to get a new card when mine expires, and it does not really matter, but I am not convinced that my Licence is "invalid". Maybe just on sabbatical till I move back? Or maybe I am completely overlooking something.

Popcorn anyone?
Old May 24th 2012, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK driving license

Well, I'm glad we got that cleared up!

Garlic salt on mine please.