Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Driving History for US Insurance

UK Driving History for US Insurance

Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driving History for US Insurance

I've gone ahead and taken out insurance with Geico at the higher premium and have sent in the request to the DVLA for my records on official paper with a stamp/raised seal. I also found my NCB letter from my last insurance company so will send that in too. Then it's up to the underwriters on how much they reduce my premium too.

The broker found me a good deal with Commerce but the deductibles were higher than my credit union would allow me to accept. He's a good bloke though so recommend talking to him if you don't have the same kinds of restrictions as I did.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

This is all super confusing. I had to make the nth phone call today to Progressive.

Although initially on the phone I was told by Geico that my UK record would count, when it came down to it, it seems it does NOT. I couldn't get the insurance from Geico, for some reason at the very very very last minute (i.e. before they pushed the button to charge my credit card) it got declined. I had to go with Progressive. It's $1350 for 6 months!! With geico it would have been $960. This is for NYC - so already a high-ish risk area I guess, but still high for my age/education (which apparently only is a factor in some states).

I probed and was told specifically that prior insurance counts only if it ended LESS than 30 days ago. If it has been 31 days they won't honor it as a factor to reduce premiums. And they said other companies won't even honor it if more than 1 day has passed after expiry of prior insurance.

My US license is less than 1 year old. Again Geicko had said my UK drivers licence would count but in the end it did not count. Progressive didn't care about my long UK drivers licence history. On my request, just to see if it affected the premium they entered a >3 yrs DL and the premium didn't change. They did add my USC husband as an insured though - as he has a >3 yrs DL record in the US.
The lady who just did all this for me on the phone said she has >20 years experience with insurance and works for several States. She sounded like she knew what she was doing.

All very confusing.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

Geico also said my driving history in the UK would count but of course when it came down to it, it was a sales tactic.

NY actually imposes a mandatory penalty point on all new drivers as far as insurance goes for the first 2 years, which then drops off. That adds $163.10/6 months (that's the cost of the penalty point). The exact wording on the policy: "Accident/Conviction/Inexp Operator"
"YOUR PREMIUM REFLECTS A SURCHARGE AND, THEREFORE, IS HIGHER THAN IT OTHERWISE WOULD BE
BECAUSE, DURING THE MEASURING EXPERIENCE PERIOD WHICH APPLIED TO YOUR INSURANCE, YOU
HAD ONE OR MORE CHARGEABLE ACCIDENTS AND/OR CHARGEABLE TRAFFIC CONVICTIONS AND/OR
THERE IS AN INEXPERIENCED OPERATOR UNDER OUR MERIT RATING PLAN"

So saying that faxing in previous driving records or whatnot is a pile of you know what.

Last edited by Jerni; Dec 3rd 2014 at 10:39 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Goodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not confusing at all.....its a sales ploy to get you in them door.having done some extensive research with one or two folks who work in the ins industry in usa, sadly no one takes into account your previous. They will make out they do and give you say a little bit of....but they would give you that anyway had you haggled.
There is no taking into account your previous driving history/insurance bonus etc etc
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodlad
It's not confusing at all.....its a sales ploy to get you in them door.having done some extensive research with one or two folks who work in the ins industry in usa, sadly no one takes into account your previous. They will make out they do and give you say a little bit of....but they would give you that anyway had you haggled.
There is no taking into account your previous driving history/insurance bonus etc etc
Nonsense. You just need to look a little harder. Hint: local brokers.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Nonsense. You just need to look a little harder. Hint: local brokers.
don't think so....like mentioned the amount they say we will give you as way of discount is what they call play money. Its what they would give you anyway if you haggle hard enough. There are no underwriters in the usa who will give you your NCB. End of. Its a ploy to get you in the door as they did with the previous poster 😂
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Rule of thumb in the US - just bend over and take it for the first year or so, then you can start looking around.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

don't think so....like mentioned the amount they say we will give you as way of discount is what they call play money. Its what they would give you anyway if you haggle hard enough. There are no underwriters in the usa who will give you your NCB. End of. Its a ploy to get you in the door as they did with the previous poster 😂
More nonsense. It's written in black and white on my policy, and numerous other people here have reported the same.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

don't think so....like mentioned the amount they say we will give you as way of discount is what they call play money. Its what they would give you anyway if you haggle hard enough. There are no underwriters in the usa who will give you your NCB. End of. Its a ploy to get you in the door as they did with the previous poster � ����
When I first came over I went to the local Farmers agent. She said yes UK record does count and I gave her my no claims bonus details I had obtained from my UK insurers. That wasn't what Farmers wanted, they wanted to see 2 years of insurance certificates. Fortunately I had those but packed into a shipping container on the high seas. So she had to charge me the cost without discount and said to bring the certificates in when I got them.

On producing the previous UK certificates my US premium was reduced by 20%. No she didn't over charge to start off with as I checked with another Farmers agent.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
When I first came over I went to the local Farmers agent. She said yes UK record does count and I gave her my no claims bonus details I had obtained from my UK insurers. That wasn't what Farmers wanted, they wanted to see 2 years of insurance certificates. Fortunately I had those but packed into a shipping container on the high seas. So she had to charge me the cost without discount and said to bring the certificates in when I got them.

On producing the previous UK certificates my US premium was reduced by 20%. No she didn't over charge to start off with as I checked with another Farmers agent.
Don't want to keep repeating myself...that 20% you would have got of anyway had you haggled your head off.
One of the guys I referred to earlier in my post works for underwriters on behalf of Farmers. He confirms this and says every Brit falls for it. Remember this is the USA, they want your money, will tell you any crap to get it. And they got you both. There are many other ways to get upto 40% off what you are quoted. Cheapest quote I had from insurers was $1806 on the BMW for year....I paid $1189 for the year after 2 days talking to them. Upto 20% you going to get off anyhow standing ur ground. Geico play the same trick too...being a leading insurer they probably taught it to others.
This ideology that you got money of is a sales ploy. You think "wow these guys are good they took my NCB or my certs" and they've got you back next year. I mean Comon guys....think about it anyone can go online take out a policy in UK print of the certs and cancel the policy within your 14 day cooling off period. The Certs don't prove jack all. I don't need to carry on do I? It's becoming embarrasing for some you.
It's the USA. They want to smile and show your their teeth that have been whitined. They want your $$$$s....it's a sales ploy that works on every Brit and will do so for years to come.

Have a great Xmas !!

Last edited by Goodlad; Dec 6th 2014 at 7:40 am.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 5:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Don't want to keep repeating myself...that 20% you would have got of anyway had you haggled your head off.
I think not. The agent has been my wife's best friend since their high school days some 50 years ago. She got us the very best deal that was going at the time and still does.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: UK Driving History for US Insurance

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think not. The agent has been my wife's best friend since their high school days some 50 years ago. She got us the very best deal that was going at the time and still does.
Thought you might come out with the "my mate has been an agent for 50 years once you'd heard about my buddy"

You are right we are wrong.
Have a great Xmas and a smashing renewal quote for 2015!
Old Dec 6th 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Option 1: Ten minute call to broker, great written quote comes in with all discounts applied. Same experience as countless others on this forum.

Option 2: Two days of haggling because "my mate in a call center says it never works".

Fair enough, I got lucky first time to find a broker able to apply all the discounts with just a short phone call. But don't base your "facts" on your own experience and somebody's word in one of umpteen insurance companies. Of course you can and should haggle - but don't stop others succeeding just because you failed.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Option 1: Ten minute call to broker, great written quote comes in with all discounts applied. Same experience as countless others on this forum.

Option 2: Two days of haggling because "my mate in a call center says it never works".

Fair enough, I got lucky first time to find a broker able to apply all the discounts with just a short phone call. But don't base your "facts" on your own experience and somebody's word in one of umpteen insurance companies. Of course you can and should haggle - but don't stop others succeeding just because you failed.
Ooooooooh!!! Someone's all wound up!!
You are right and I am wrong. Or should I say your 70 year old mate is right and rest of world is wrong
Old Dec 6th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ooooooooh!!! Someone's all wound up!!
Shall I get Matron for you?

You are right and I am wrong.
Not just me. As I keep saying, the evidence is in the forums.

Or should I say your 70 year old mate is right and rest of world is wrong
What on earth are you wittering on about now? What 70 year old?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.