Reload this Page >

UK Driving History for US Insurance

UK Driving History for US Insurance

Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driving History for US Insurance

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Like I said from the start, your photocard and paper license should be all you need, what else could there possibly be to know that isn't on them?
Yes you were right - I wasn't looking at the back of the photocard (doh). I'll confirm on Monday when I get insurance sorted out to let everyone know that it was all that I needed.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Goodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MCDesi
Yes you were right - I wasn't looking at the back of the photocard (doh). I'll confirm on Monday when I get insurance sorted out to let everyone know that it was all that I needed.
Yes let us know pal.... And is it both Mercury Insurance and Geico who will accept this?

And did I hear someone say earlier that they will accept UK no claims bonus as well?
Old Oct 25th 2014, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Haha we've all done something like that before
Old Oct 25th 2014, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goodlad
Yes let us know pal.... And is it both Mercury Insurance and Geico who will accept this?

And did I hear someone say earlier that they will accept UK no claims bonus as well?
I spoke with Geico but I think someone else dealt with Mercury. I'm not yet sure who I'll finally go with but it sounds like they all will want this.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Geico. They accepted my UK NCB when I first took out a policy with them. They were also superb when I had to make a claim a few weeks back.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markonline1
I'm with Geico. They accepted my UK NCB when I first took out a policy with them. They were also superb when I had to make a claim a few weeks back.
Did you just show them renewal letter with NCB years? Or did u have to get a separate letter?
Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
so in order for previous history to be taken into consideration we would have to get this letter from the DVLA?
Depends on what the insurance company asks you for.

Reality of it though, it's just a sales ploy and a load of rubbish to keep you on the hook from baulking from the first BS quote they give you.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you just show them renewal letter with NCB years? Or did u have to get a separate letter?
I had a copy of my NCB that I bought over with me. If memory serves me right, we had to fax the copy of the NCB and a copy of my UK license to them.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

I emailed Geico and they have replied that no they do not accept UK NCB... They have stated they would treat case like a new driver...I'm confused
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

I emailed Geico and they have replied that no they do not accept UK NCB... They have stated they would treat case like a new driver...I'm confused
Yes I think they won't accept NCB information but if we can prove to them that we've been driving longer than 6 years and have a clean record we get a lower premium (still pricey though). I have had to get a policy started at the extortionate rate and then if I can provide them with the following they will give adjust the premium once the underwriters have reviewed it. In Geico's words they want:

Original foreign abstract in the native language, from the foreign entity with a stamp or raised seal.
The abstract must show date first licensed.
The abstract must show driving record. The abstract must indicate that your record is clear if no activity exists.

The stamp or raised seal is the only thing I am not convinced the DVLA will provide and if not I hope Geico accept what the DVLA do provide. Seems like just showing them a copy of the license photocard and counterpart is not enough proof.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 3:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The stamp or raised seal is the only thing I am not convinced the DVLA will provide and if not I hope Geico accept what the DVLA do provide. Seems like just showing them a copy of the license photocard and counterpart is not enough proof.
Commerce were good with my broker having a look at the paper part of a drivers license and as I only had the old paper license, they were fine with that, but I also had a couple years of Maine driving history.

Needham, who I'm with now didn't need to see anything, but then I already have enough MA driving history I guess.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Did the letter from the DVLA state when you first got your license or just when your current license started?
I honestly can't remember but then I'm youngish so only had 1 license.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on what the insurance company asks you for.

Reality of it though, it's just a sales ploy and a load of rubbish to keep you on the hook from baulking from the first BS quote they give you.
See that's the thing. I went with a local broker (recommended by the car sales co but then I didn't have any better ideas) and they just took my word for it over the phone. Confirmed in writing, mature driver, no claims, couple of other things as well, very reasonable rates. However, that was with CA minimums so when BE members recommended higher minimums I asked and was switched to another company... with even lower premiums yet higher minimums . Now with another company and I think they just took the first company's word for it too as they never asked and yet applied the same discounts.

Admittedly a fair amount is just luck in finding a decent agent/broker who looks beyond his/her computer screen.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I guess I was just lucky then
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
I guess I was just lucky then
Let's see what happens when I actually get mine. Over the phone they didn't demand the documents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.