Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Isn't that fraud?
Is it though? I doubt that the DVLA think it appropriate that a US government organisation can remove your UK license from you, it's not their property to do as they will with.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I still have my Brit bank account...they send everything here...they just closed my credit card down because I've not used it for 7 years....
I still have my British bank account too. They also send all correspondence to my US address. However, they did change my status on the account to non-ordinary resident account.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Is it though? I doubt that the DVLA think it appropriate that a US government organisation can remove your UK license from you, it's not their property to do as they will with.
Of course it's fraud...you are lying to obtain a new UK licence. First lie...saying that you've lost the original licence. Second lie...giving a false address.

Not true...if you look at the DVLA's website you will see that they do exactly the same. It states that licences from other countries will be returned to that country on exchange for a UK licence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 23rd 2008 at 3:57 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:55 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
maybe because you can in some states, you can in texas and in maine...getting insurance is the hassle though and you might as well...also if some are students, they wouldn't be considered residents of the state.
I drove on my Brit license for a year...I was told by both the DMV and my Ins company that it was OK...the State trooper who I took my test with asked how long I'd been driving in the USA I told him a year...so he never even took me for a real test...just to make sure I turned the right way in traffic...I was told many times at the DMV that I could not have a US license till I got a SS number...it took a lot of leg work to get them to change their minds and give me a US license without a SS number...my Ins company wrote to me 2 years after I moved here saying I would now need a US license to carry on driving...phoning them telling them they already knew I'd had a US license for a year already...they told me I could drive on a Brit license for 2 years....I always made sure I got everything in writing...and carried a large amount of paper work in case I was ever stopped...

I never had to hand in my Brit license
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:38 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that the DVLA think it appropriate that a US government organisation can remove your UK license from you
How many battalions does the DVLA have?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's fraud...you are lying to obtain a new UK licence. First lie...saying that you've lost the original licence. Second lie...giving a false address.

Not true...if you look at the DVLA's website you will see that they do exactly the same. It states that licences from other countries will be returned to that country on exchange for a UK licence.

That astounds me. I guess we are no better than the yanks then.

You live and learn, as always.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:39 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Originally Posted by krizzy
I drove on my Brit license for a year...I was told by both the DMV and my Ins company that it was OK...the State trooper who I took my test with asked how long I'd been driving in the USA I told him a year...so he never even took me for a real test...just to make sure I turned the right way in traffic...I was told many times at the DMV that I could not have a US license till I got a SS number...it took a lot of leg work to get them to change their minds and give me a US license without a SS number...my Ins company wrote to me 2 years after I moved here saying I would now need a US license to carry on driving...phoning them telling them they already knew I'd had a US license for a year already...they told me I could drive on a Brit license for 2 years....I always made sure I got everything in writing...and carried a large amount of paper work in case I was ever stopped...

I never had to hand in my Brit license
You know I absolutely could NOT get a licence in NYS till I had a SS number,I was issued with a number when I got here on a K3, but it was a temp one and was asked to return to the SS office to get it upgraded to a perm one once I got my Green Card, only then would I be able to start the process of my licence. Red Tape all the way.

ILM
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:22 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk driver's license - how to keep ?

ILM
It was not easy getting one...but I had a bit of paper from the SS office saying I did not need a SS number for a licence...so I was bloody well going to get one...
I was told something different everyday...the State trooper was not even sure he could pass me....but he had been on a trip to England the week before...and had a word with the lady in the DMV for me...my daughter had no SS number but no trouble because she went with a driving school...its a nightmare doing anything here...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

latempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nice

I believe what you have heard is people talking rubbish.

Any US DMV wouldn't care about a foreign license. There's no reason whatsoever why they would take your UK one off you.

You haven't been to West Virginia DMV then.... back in 2003 they absolutely insisted I handed over my UK license and refused to give me a US one until I did. I tried the "it belongs to the DVLA and is not mine to give away" tact, but they replied it would be held on file and I could apply for it when I needed it and they would temporarily swap it back for my UK one. They absolutely would not budge. Eventually I found my old paper driving license that I thought I had lost, so I gave them that one and kept my new ID card instead so I could have both

Just on the side of this disussion... as I have now been over here more than a couple of years, UK insurance companies now treat me as a foreigner. They now charge my parents a premium to put me on their car insurance when I am back home, so it actually makes no difference if I had a UK license or not.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

thing is, it's reciprocal, and as you can't swap for a US license, they won't swap a US license, so won't ask for it
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nice

Here is Georgia they insist that you cannot hold two licenses whether US or UK and take your UK one away from you no matter how much you protest. How can you not show any form of license as surely they will make you take a course or something?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicgirl
Here is Georgia they insist that you cannot hold two licenses whether US or UK and take your UK one away from you no matter how much you protest. How can you not show any form of license as surely they will make you take a course or something?
You have to take a full test anyway, so just don't admit to having a license and it's no issue...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nice

But don't you already have to prove you have a number of driving hours before you take a test?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Sorry if this sounds pathetic but I consider acquiring a British license to be one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. It was in July 2005, and I was 7.5 months preggars when I took my road test.

It took 7 driving lessons and I passed the theory and driving test at the first go.

Eventually I'd like to move back to the US, but if whatever state we reside in wants to take my British license, they can pry it out of my cold dead hands!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:47 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Originally Posted by commoner
, they can pry it out of my cold dead hands!

lol Nice One,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.