Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:36 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

Congrats on passing the test, tricialc!

The information for 90% (if not all) of the questions on this thread (and on drivers licenses generally) is on the website of the DMV (or equivalent) of the state the person is interested in.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK-Trinity
Maybe it has something to do with how hard it is to get one in the first place?
That's exactly it. If I ever did want to move back to the UK, I wouldn't want to have to go through all the rigmarole of the written test, then the significantly more difficult "skills" test......
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
That's exactly it. If I ever did want to move back to the UK, I wouldn't want to have to go through all the rigmarole of the written test, then the significantly more difficult "skills" test......
You wouldn't, you just apply for a replacement.

Now why anyone would want to go through the hassle voluntarily is beyond me.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Something that has come to mind whilst browsing the forum:

I can just turn up and take the test in OH, right? I don't have to get a "learner's permit" first?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Something that has come to mind whilst browsing the forum:

I can just turn up and take the test in OH, right? I don't have to get a "learner's permit" first?
Yes you can just take the test, but you'll probably need to take the written test first and then book the practical test.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought you could do it all in one go....take the written test ten wait for an instructor and take the skills test?

Or do you have to take the written test first and do the skills test on a different day?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you could do it all in one go....take the written test ten wait for an instructor and take the skills test?

Or do you have to take the written test first and do the skills test on a different day?
It does seem to vary. We had to do the skills test on a different day but I've seen people on here have done them together.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It does seem to vary. We had to do the skills test on a different day but I've seen people on here have done them together.
States vary ....

We do it both together in my part of Florida ...

it takes away a good 5 minutes of your life...
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

"No DMV will be getting their mitts on my UK license. End of."

Quite right. It's not their property and is nothing to do with them. I was asked if I wanted to hand in my British Licence and refused. At that time in FL if you didn't hand it in they only gave you a licence valid in Florida, so I said fine I'll take that.

Afew years later I renewed my licence and the DMV officer asked why there was a restriction on my licence- when I told her, she said that's a stupid rule and gave me a full one- hehehe. So I still have my old paper UK licence.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I have a UK driver's licence and a US driver's license. I am 60 years old and my registered UK house address is being sold in 2 weeks.

I thought I would do an address change and put my daughter's UK address but the form says its illegal to 'get' a licence if I am not resident..

It is the same form for applying for a licence or changing address

Would I be right in thinking that 'getting' a license is different to an address change so I could just change the address ?

I don't expect any correspondence from DVLA until I am 70 and have to renew.

If I ever return to the uk to reside, I dont want to have to do a new driving test

I bet nearly all ex-pats have keep their UK licence

any thoughts please ?
I have not read all the answers on this ... too many pages.

I have a UK licence and a HGV licence which now expired, I called DVLC in Swansea and they told me 'No re-test was needed should I return for HGV or car licence, however and medical would be needed and I could then have a new licence.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I have a UK licence and a HGV licence which now expired, I called DVLC in Swansea and they told me 'No re-test was needed should I return for HGV or car licence, however and medical would be needed and I could then have a new licence.
My mother just got a new photo one for free as she just hit 70 a few days ago and had to get a new one, the medical involved filling in a form, signing it and sending it in, if you answered yes to anything, you had to have a doctor verify it I think she said...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

I believe what you have heard is people talking rubbish.

Any US DMV wouldn't care about a foreign license. There's no reason whatsoever why they would take your UK one off you.
Georgia took mine off me. They wouldn't let me get a GA license unless I surrendered my UK one. GA sent it to the British Consulate which mailed it back to me.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

LOL! How pointless.

I suppose if they refuse to give me an OH license without surrendering my UK one I can just write to DVLA and report it as "lost abroad" - and ask them to send me a new one to "my" new address (my mum's).
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! How pointless.

I suppose if they refuse to give me an OH license without surrendering my UK one I can just write to DVLA and report it as "lost abroad" - and ask them to send me a new one to "my" new address (my mum's).
Isn't that fraud? What happens when they return it to the DVLA because you handed it in...in exchange for a US license and you've applied for a new one giving a false address?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 23rd 2008 at 3:57 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:39 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
How come? I spoke to my bank, and they said I could just give a US address and keep the account open?
I still have my Brit bank account...they send everything here...they just closed my credit card down because I've not used it for 7 years....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.