Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK dogs microchips do they work in the US?

Wikiposts

UK dogs microchips do they work in the US?

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:20 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK dogs microchips do they work in the US?

Thanks very much for the info..

I have discovered some good and interesting facts today..

1 Is that I don't need to worry about heartworm they were both treated with Advocate before I left the UK this covers heartworm

2 I have found a site online where I can buy advocate and heart worm tablets without a vets prescription.

3) I have found a dog food that after 7 days is not making my Boston sick or having an upset tummy

The one really negative thing was being refused onto the bus I had taken all week with the dogs. I was told to put a muzzle on them.. For two dogs that could not hurt a fly and fall asleep as soon as they are on the bus this was pretty annoying after waiting 1/2 for the bus. I have never seen a Boston with a muzzle on, not sure how this could work. I do understand there are rules but all other drivers were fine (accepting that the two very quite small dogs would be fine). Going to be very difficult getting to the vet I need to register with without taking buses...
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:21 pm

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
Yes (to the microchip). Our dog was chipped in Europe, was readable in England and in USA. I think the microchip is the Avid system.

You can get Pedigree Dentastix cheaper online - I recently got a load of them from a supplier through Amazon. I can't remember who the supplier was - they mainly sell DIY stuff like drills.
Thanks for that I will check Amazon
Old Oct 4th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maggs
When I first arrived here in 2003 the vets scanner couldn't read my dogs microchip, nor my cats microchip in 2004. Fast forward to this year and we tried it again and their new scanners can read the chip number on the dog and the cat. So we have recorded the numbers in their files at the vets. The numbers aren't associated with any national database like it would have been when the chips were put in back in the UK or like our younger dog that was microchipped here in the US.

Maggie
I have my dog's microchip registered with American Kennel Club, Companion Animal recovery. http://akccar.org/ Its the closest thing I have found to a national database. Costs about $20 to join and comes with a tag for the collar.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I have my dog's microchip registered with American Kennel Club, Companion Animal recovery. http://akccar.org/ Its the closest thing I have found to a national database. Costs about $20 to join and comes with a tag for the collar.
Each of the different manufacturers of microchips has their own database that normally doesn't cost anything for their basic service (registering and updating the information in the database). The vet or shelter will normally automatically register your pet with that database after implanting the microchip. If a pet is found with a microchip, the SPCA or any pet shelter knows to look for information in that manufacturers database to find the owner.

I'm not sure how they would know to look in the American Kennel Club database for your dog unless the dog has the tag around his neck.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 4th 2010 at 3:31 am.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:32 am

I think I will have UK ID chipped on part of the tag collar
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
I think I will have UK ID chipped on part of the tag collar
I'm not sure how much that will help if the shelter doesn't know which database to look in to find that microchip ID. Also I'm pretty sure that most shelters currently have scanners that can read European microchips.

Most shelters (where you register for your pet license) will accept a microchip ID so that if your pet is ever found by that shelter, it will have the ID in its database.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:18 am

I will get both dogs licensed but if they are stolen not sure getting them back would be any easier if only 1 or no shelters could read the ID chip
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I will get both dogs licensed but if they are stolen not sure getting them back would be any easier if only 1 or no shelters could read the ID chip
I suspect you will need to talk to your local shelter to determine the best way to register your microchip IDs so that if your pet is lost or stolen, you will have the greatest chance of recovery.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:55 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the surest way to have your dogs ID on a national database that all vets and shelters would be familiar with, would be to have them microchipped again here in the US. I have thought about it but the cat is 17 and only sits on the deck when the sun shines and the dog never goes out of the fenced in yard unless on a leash. She is also getting on in years and doesn't make a break for it like she used to.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michael
Each of the different manufacturers of microchips has their own database that normally doesn't cost anything for their basic service (registering and updating the information in the database). The vet or shelter will normally automatically register your pet with that database after implanting the microchip. If a pet is found with a microchip, the SPCA or any pet shelter knows to look for information in that manufacturers database to find the owner.

I'm not sure how they would know to look in the American Kennel Club database for your dog unless the dog has the tag around his neck.
My dog was micro-chipped in the UK so does that still apply? I don't even know yet if his microchip scans here. Must get that checked. Hopefully if the worst came to the worst and he did get lost he would still have his collar on with the AKC info on it. I think it is better to have it on some database in the US than nothing. Maybe vets are aware of the AKC database. Something else to check on.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:31 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

When your dogs are licensed, you receive a tag for each dog's collar with the name of the licensing authority and a number that is specific to that dog. If your dog is found, the licensing authority will be called and they will look up the number -- which will lead to your name and address. Another reason why licensing your dog is a good thing to do!