Reload this Page >

UK customs checking our container

UK customs checking our container

Old Jun 30th 2014, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

fifid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK customs checking our container

Hi all,

We have moved to the US, arrived in April and we are still waiting for our container to arrive. It was supposed to depart the UK last Friday but our shipping company have now said that UK customs have decided to inspect the container. They said this is the second time in ten years that this has happened!!

It is a shared container so I don't know what else is in it but we are now really worried as we have no idea how long this is all going to delay the shipping by and how much it is all going to cost.

Has anyone else had the same problem with UK customs checking a container?

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:40 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK customs checking our container

I haven't experienced this, but in my paperwork with the transport company it states I would be on the hook for any fees associated with the inspection. How enforceable that is, who knows, but something to bear in mind.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

thanks very much for replying. Yes I do fear that we will be liable for the costs, It would have been nice to be informed that UK customs might do this though, we had had no idea.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Don't suppose you used Anglo Pacific did you?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

No it wasn't Anglo Pacific, I don't really want to name the company until we have our stuff delivered, as we have had a lot of problems pretty much from the beginning. We really regret using them. Once we are sorted I will definitely be recommending to others not to use them.

Have you had this problem then?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Not had the UK end though perfectly feasible. Demand paperwork proof, and you might even be able to follow it up with UK Customs to ensure it really was your container.

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
How enforceable that is, who knows, but something to bear in mind.
Very, when they've got your stuff in their grubby hands!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fifid
No it wasn't Anglo Pacific, I don't really want to name the company until we have our stuff delivered, as we have had a lot of problems pretty much from the beginning. We really regret using them. Once we are sorted I will definitely be recommending to others not to use them.

Have you had this problem then?
We had problems, but mostly at the US end.

They suddenly decided they couldn't get down our drive and had to hire a smaller truck - we never saw the larger one - so that cost us extra. Then we had an iphone disappear from the house when their guys were unloading. We told them about it (they did nothing) We always wondered if it had been misplaced, so gave them the benefit of the doubt, but we've just moved into our new place and no sign of the phone, so it was definitely stolen by their people.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is an unfortunately common occurance, especially when the goods arrive in the destination country.

It happened to me when I arrived in the US. I think its just another way of making more money. It's impossible to check whether these 'customs inspections" are done or not. The delivery company just does not deliver your items.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. Apparently it is all sorted now and we will be charged £25 and our container will be leaving on Friday. It all seems very odd to me. Once we have confirmation that it has left the UK we will be demanding paperwork.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fifid
Thanks for all the replies. Apparently it is all sorted now and we will be charged £25 and our container will be leaving on Friday. It all seems very odd to me. Once we have confirmation that it has left the UK we will be demanding paperwork.
Possibly you already know this but ask for the name of the vessel, the voyage number, date of arrival, port of arrival and the number of your container.
Most containers can be tracked online and into the warehouse in the USA.