Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which UK credit reports to take to USA?

Wikiposts

Which UK credit reports to take to USA?

Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:50 am
Just Joined

the_deep_end is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which UK credit reports to take to USA?

Hi All,

I'm about to relocate to CA in a couple of weeks and am just tying up a few loose ends. A question I have is regarding which UK credit reports might be useful in the US (particularly for renting a home), and in which format?

I was planning on taking reports from Equifax and Experian but I recently ordered an online report from Experian but this didn't seem to be in a format suitable for printing (i.e. loads of different sections etc) or giving to a potential landlord for reassurance.

Any advice on this is much appreciated...
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Which UK credit reports to take to USA?

none
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter.

Your credit history, much like your driving history starts fresh as a newborn.

AmEx is the best thing to jump start things if you have had it for 12 months or more and to a global transfer.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redarmy990
none
Anecdotal evidence on this forum suggests otherwise (do a search). Won't work in most places it seems but get just the right person and it could swing a decision in your favor.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Anecdotal evidence on this forum suggests otherwise (do a search). Won't work in most places it seems but get just the right person and it could swing a decision in your favor.
For a private rental? Perhaps, but they really aren't worth anything over here and you'd still usually need the deposits anyway.

Letter of employment stating a decent salary would go much further.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Second the Amex.

The others might be useful for a Mortgage.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If you have credit cards, see if your credit card companies can help you get US versions of their credit cards. You can then use those to build a US credit history. I had MBNA and AMEX credit cards in the UK. I contacted both companies when I got to the US and was able to get US versions of their credit cards as they were able to check my UK payment history.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

the_deep_end is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback and advice, and apologies for not being more specific with my question. I already have a credit card application in with HSBC USA: thanks to the advice of people on this forum I took out the Chartis Travelguard package. This also provides information on lenders who will work with you despite no credit rating...

I can confirm this is soley to help me with a private rental after the six weeks of temporary furnished accomodation we've booked comes to an end. Looking through the listings online (particularly craigslist), its the norm to ask for an applicants credit report (and letter confirming salary etc which is no problem for me). Additionally I've read on this forum that UK credit reports can help particularly in this situation (i.e. reassuring a private landlord you'll be a good tenant). However I can't find the BE forum thread this information was contained in to ask the contributor who posted this!!!

I was hoping someone had done the same thing and could advise on which reports/formats might help me with the above...
Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_deep_end
Additionally I've read on this forum that UK credit reports can help particularly in this situation (i.e. reassuring a private landlord you'll be a good tenant). However I can't find the BE forum thread this information was contained in to ask the contributor who posted this!!!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=experian+uk - post #5 specifically mentions renting, presumably private. Several other threads too.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
If you have credit cards, see if your credit card companies can help you get US versions of their credit cards. You can then use those to build a US credit history. I had MBNA and AMEX credit cards in the UK. I contacted both companies when I got to the US and was able to get US versions of their credit cards as they were able to check my UK payment history.
MBNA US doesn't exist anymore, BoA who bought them out don't do that. AmEx does though.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
MBNA US doesn't exist anymore, BoA who bought them out don't do that. AmEx does though.
Right - my MBNA card eventually became a BoA card (still have it). I was just explaining the concept.