British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Companies - US Based Employees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-companies-us-based-employees-924954/)

Hockmiester May 14th 2019 2:55 pm

UK Companies - US Based Employees

UK citizen with a US Green Card.

Does anyone know of any website/recruitment firm that look for US based employees for UK companies? I can't find any even with a VPN on set to London.

I tend to take a few months off between consultancy jobs. I finished a 14 month stint with a US carrier recently and have been kicking around thinking what I should try next and thought a UK company might be happy to find a British US employee.

While it sounds bad, I'm not in a major rush with pool season upon us but it would be nice to start opening conversations now for a later date.

sherbert May 14th 2019 4:19 pm

Re: UK Companies - US Based Employees

Note that you need to be in the US for 6 months a year to keep the GC valid. From the USCIS website (https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...anent-resident)

"If you plan on being absent from the United States for longer than a year, it is advisable to first apply for a reentry permit on Form I-131. Obtaining a reentry permit prior to leaving the United States allows a permanent or conditional permanent resident to apply for admission into the United States during the permit’s validity without the need to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. Please note that it does not guarantee entry into the United States upon your return as you must first be determined to be admissible; however, it will assist you in establishing your intention to permanently reside in the United States. For more information, see the Travel Documents page.

If you remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years, any reentry permit granted before your departure from the United States will have expired. In this case, it is advisable to consider applying for a returning resident visa (SB-1) at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. An SB-1 applicant will be required to establish eligibility for an immigrant visa and will need a medical exam."

Nutmegger May 14th 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 12683640)
Note that you need to be in the US for 6 months a year to keep the GC valid. From the USCIS website (https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...anent-resident)

."

I understood the OP to be looking to work remotely, in the US, for a UK company.

durham_lad May 14th 2019 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12683644)
I understood the OP to be looking to work remotely, in the US, for a UK company.

That is also my understanding from his OP.

Hockmiester May 14th 2019 4:52 pm

Yes the last two posts are correct. I normally take a few months off between roles but I'm always a permanent resident of the US.

I was just thinking that if a UK company was thinking of opening a US office, a 'British' US based employee might be helpful as we understand both markets.

I actually found lots of websites from UK recruitment companies specializing in finding US nationals based in the UK (the wrong way for me) but couldn't find any my-way-round. Maybe a gap in the market, who knows.

sherbert May 14th 2019 6:30 pm

Whoops! Sorry, skim-read. Ignore my post then!

markcst May 17th 2019 9:38 pm

Just search any G500 UK companies job boards, though be warned a lot of the well known ones have been laying off staff locally like BT for example. (I was one who was severed and had to scramble for a Green Card).

Pulaski May 21st 2019 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hockmiester (Post 12683652)
Yes the last two posts are correct. I normally take a few months off between roles but I'm always a permanent resident of the US.

I was just thinking that if a UK company was thinking of opening a US office, a 'British' US based employee might be helpful as we understand both markets.

I actually found lots of websites from UK recruitment companies specializing in finding US nationals based in the UK (the wrong way for me) but couldn't find any my-way-round. Maybe a gap in the market, who knows.

My experience is that UK employers EITHER want people who know the local market i.e. in your scenario they would be US citizens/ residents, and being British would not help, OR they want people "from head office" i.e. in your scenario, from the HO in the UK, who can go out into the field (US locations) to share the corporate culture. Merely being British doesn't help if you are hired "locally" in the US by a company with a head office in the UK - I was in that situation once and it didn't help either me or my employer, and the people I worked with in the US didn't give too hoots that I was British.

Later, after switching to a US employer, the managers didn't think my participation in projects in the London office would add any value, so despite my offer to work on London projects my offer was ignored. Rather discouragingly London projects were seen as a junket for "valued" employees who got to travel to London. I used to get asked by those at a lower level to "translate" or mediate in discussions with the London office, but the managers didn't see any value in such local knowledge.