Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizenship for my US husband?

UK citizenship for my US husband?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

ChrisMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK citizenship (and possible sharing of my UK NI benefits) for my US husband?

Hello!

I've received a lot of good sound advice from this web site, and for that I thank you all sincerely.. I wonder now may I ask again for your advice?

I am a UK citizen, and have just gone through the application process for US citizenship and have been naturalized, so I am now lucky to be a 'dual' UK/US citizen.

My husband is born and bred in USA, but my question is, does he have any rights in UK as he is married to me?

I'd like to try to get him UK citizenship as well, as we would like to know the possibilities to have two places we could call home. I have no property in UK, I sold it when I left UK,but all my family are still there, and we go back to visit them often. I have paid NI contributions so I believe I am entitled to health care and pension if/when I return.

Could my husband also share my NI benefits as he is married to me?

Thanks for any comments/advice..
..and Happy Sunday!
Chris

Last edited by ChrisMc; Aug 30th 2009 at 2:48 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizenship for my US husband?

Originally Posted by ChrisMc
Hello!

I've received a lot of good sound advice from this web site, and for that I thank you all sincerely.. I wonder now may I ask again for your advice?

I am a UK citizen, and have just gone throug the application process for US citizenship and have been naturalized, so I am now lucky to be a 'dual' citizen.

My husband is born and bred in USA, but my question is, does he have any rights in UK as he is married to me?

I'd like to try to get him UK citizenship as well, as we would like to know the possibilities to have two places we could call home. I have no property in UK, I sold it when I left UK,but all my family are still there, and we go back to visit them often. I have paid NI contributions so I believe I am entitled to health care and pension if/when I return. Could my husband also share my benefits as he is married to me?

..and Happy Sunday!
Chris
Hi there

somebody will be along to answer in more detail but for starters you have to be living in the UK (for 3 years I think) to apply for Citizenship you can't just get it through marriage unfortunately.

Last edited by Elaine B.; Aug 30th 2009 at 2:48 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizenship (and possible sharing of my UK NI benefits) for my US husband?

Hello!

I am a UK citizen, and have just gone through the application process for US citizenship and have been naturalized, so I am now lucky to be a 'dual' UK/US citizen.

I'd like to try to get him UK citizenship as well, as we would like to know the possibilities to have two places we could call home. I have no property in UK, I sold it when I left UK,but all my family are still there, and we go back to visit them often. I have paid NI contributions so I believe I am entitled to health care and pension if/when I return.

Could my husband also share my NI benefits as he is married to me?

..and Happy Sunday!
Chris
As far as health care is concerned, the wonderful NHS will take care of you and your husband as soon as you become resident in the UK. This is regardless of whether you have made NI payments, or how much NI you have paid.

Last edited by dunroving; Aug 30th 2009 at 4:20 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizenship (and possible sharing of my UK NI benefits) for my US husband?

Hello!

Similar process to how you got your green card and citizenship.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Similar process to how you got your green card and citizenship.
just quicker in how it's processed...and less hassle...but not necessarily cheaper.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:37 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris,

I am a US citizen in the UK with my British husband. I recently received my UK citizenship.

Your husband will not be able to get UK citizenship without spending a certain amount of time living in the UK, as stated above. Currently the time requirement is three years for spouses of citizens.

He won't need citizenship for short visits, obviously. US citizens are allowed up to 6 months of any 12 month rolling period for tourism, I *thinK*, but check that before making any long-visit plans. If you should decide to move back to the UK he will be able to get a spousal visa to live there. Under current rules, the spousal visa would be good for two years, after which he would have to apply for ILR - Indefinite Leave to Remain. he would have the right to work in the UK under both the spousal visa and the ILR, and he would also have the right to NHS care. I don't know about sharing your NI benefits, sorry.

ILR gives him the right to live in the country whether or not he is married to you. (On a practical, albeit brutal, note, if you think that there is a possibility that he would want to live in the UK after your death, then this would be the way to do it - he would not be able to live there without first having ILR.) After obtaining ILR and living in the UK for a total of three consecutive years he could apply for citizenship. if he does not go for citizenship, and only stays on ILR, then in the event that he leaves the UK for two years he would lose the right to live there and would have to start all over again.

Note that the rules change quite often, usually for the worse! It's been getting harder and more expensive to obtain citizenship. I don't know what changes might be brought in in the future.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:07 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK citizenship for my US husband?

Unless you are planning to relocate there for long enough, there's not a way to do it. Sounds like what you were asking is would he be able to apply somehow while you two live here - and he can't.

I'm bitter about this too because I wanna be a UK citizen too! But no plans to ever live there so I'm screwed.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:32 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by avanutria
Note that the rules change quite often, usually for the worse! It's been getting harder and more expensive to obtain citizenship. I don't know what changes might be brought in in the future.
Never a truer word spoken! You've accurately described how the system was (it was the same when SWMBO went through the hoops) but they've already started changing it. The new thing is called "paths to citizenship" and you've got to do things like unpaid voluntary work to earn points towards eligibility for naturalisation.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:09 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...I'm glad I got in under the wire (though I did volunteer with a Girl Guide group for a year or so) but I find it mildly annoying that my understanding of the method is already out of date! LOL Though I guess it has been nearly a year now since I got my citizenship. I ought to have an anniversary party...