Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen medical insurance for child birth in the USA

UK citizen medical insurance for child birth in the USA

Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen medical insurance for child birth in the USA

Originally Posted by Anamas
How odd, why would I want my child to be a US citizen and not a British one.

Getting an honest answer from an insurance company before a claim is not a given. Which is why I wanted to know if people had made claims for birth after they were insured and what the outcome was.
If your child was born here it would have both British and US citizenship. Believe it or not there are plenty of people who come to the US to have children...they are known as 'anchor children'. Many parents are under the impression that a US citizen child will give the parents the right to stay here...it does not.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How odd, why would I want my child to be a US citizen and not a British one.
Not only will your child be a US citizen if born here, but you cannot renounce US citizenship on behalf of your child. With US citizenship comes responsibilities as well as rights, e.g. entry to the US only as a US citizen, filing a US tax return, Selective Service registration, ...
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what an anchor baby is. There is international medical insurance that covers birth, 10 months after the policy is started. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with what happens when it comes time to renew it or if the birth is after 12 or 13 months.

For example if you get cancer after 5 months of your policy, are you not taken care of after 12 months when the policy expires or needs to be renewed?

I'm the maid of honor for the weddings so I want to make it if possible and if it's relatively safe.
Read the small print of the policy!

If you're pregnant come renewal, they will probably not renew the policy.

Will they pay up if you need to deliver in your short window frame, probably, but they'll probably want to repatriate you as soon as possible and getting stuck here will be a major hassle for all involved.

The other question of long term illnesses, well they'll repatriate you and that'll be about it after any emergency care is tended.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:08 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not only will your child be a US citizen if born here, but you cannot renounce US citizenship on behalf of your child. With US citizenship comes responsibilities as well as rights, e.g. entry to the US only as a US citizen, filing a US tax return, Selective Service registration, ...
Just to remphasize this point, if the kid is born in the US they ARE a US citizen regardless of what you "want" for the child and this is not something you can change.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently pregnant in the US. We have good insurance, but if we didn't... a normal birth would cost upwards of 10k, a C-section somewhere around 20k - those are just for the hospital, for a 2 or 3 day stay. If the baby had any kind of issues and needed NICU care then the costs could escalate to 100k plus very easily. Insurance or not, there is no way I would risk it. I hope you read the link posted earlier in this thread, from someone who had unexpectedly had a baby whilst on holiday (also a follow on thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707402 about the potential difficulties with citizenship and bringing the baby back to the UK). Not to mention I couldn't imagine anything worse than flying long haul while pregnant.

Last edited by NatashaB; Jun 13th 2011 at 2:00 pm.