Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen medical insurance for child birth in the USA

UK citizen medical insurance for child birth in the USA

Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Anamas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen medical insurance for child birth in the USA

Hi, I plan to visit the USA on VWP for a few weddings over the next 18 months. I am also trying to have another baby, I'm not pregnant yet though.

Is there some kind of international medical insurance that would cover me in case I have to deliver the baby in the USA? The policies I have looked at so far stipulate a 10 month wait before child birth is covered. What happens if I fall pregnant 4 months into the policy and will deliver at 13 or 14 months? Are renewal dates for 12 months only and will they refuse me renewal or cover for child birth after the 12 months is up?

I understand travel insurance companies wont cover me if my return date is within a short time of or after my due date. So travel insurance isn't an option.

Thank you
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen medical insurance for child birth in the USA

If you were to become pregnant you could avoid the problem by simply not traveling to the US during the last 3 or 4 months of your pregnancy. If that means missing a wedding or two then I am sure that the happy couple will understand your situation.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:52 am
Just Joined

I'm happy to go as long as there is some kind of insurance. Has anyone been in a similar situation and got cover for it?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anamas
I'm happy to go as long as there is some kind of insurance. Has anyone been in a similar situation and got cover for it?
Welcome to BE.

Sorry I can't help with insurance. Why don't you wait until much nearer the wedding date before you make firm travel plans?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 12th 2011 at 2:31 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...public/en_gb#1
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is there some kind of international medical insurance that would cover me in case I have to deliver the baby in the USA?
I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I'd be surprised if you find any such insurance that would cover you for an event that is not only entirely preventable but something you are deliberately trying to achieve.

Ian
Old Jun 12th 2011, 3:48 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: UK citizen medical insurance for child birth in the USA

There was a British tourist on holiday over here who went into premature labour or had some kind of emergency pregnancy complication and had to deliver her baby here. I think the baby was also in the NICU for a while as well? I think it was in Philly or somewhere around PA.

I know that they had a bit of a job trying to sort out a birth certificate to get a US passport to take the baby back to the UK. (It's not like the UK where there is a national register of births, it's done by each State here, which astonished me when I first heard about it).

I *think* that most of the costs of the delivery were covered by travel insurance...can't remember the poster or title of the thread, but it should all be somewhere in the archives, it was a few months ago.

To the O/P: Don't even think about trying for 'an anchor baby'....yes the child would be a US citizen if born here, but can't file for residency for the parents until he or she is 21!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There was a British tourist on holiday over here who went into premature labour or had some kind of emergency pregnancy complication and had to deliver her baby here. I think the baby was also in the NICU for a while as well? I think it was in Philly or somewhere around PA.

I know that they had a bit of a job trying to sort out a birth certificate to get a US passport to take the baby back to the UK. (It's not like the UK where there is a national register of births, it's done by each State here, which astonished me when I first heard about it).
Why?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I *think* that most of the costs of the delivery were covered by travel insurance...can't remember the poster or title of the thread, but it should all be somewhere in the archives, it was a few months ago.

To the O/P: Don't even think about trying for 'an anchor baby'....yes the child would be a US citizen if born here, but can't file for residency for the parents until he or she is 21!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698463
Old Jun 12th 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Not sure what an anchor baby is. There is international medical insurance that covers birth, 10 months after the policy is started. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with what happens when it comes time to renew it or if the birth is after 12 or 13 months.

For example if you get cancer after 5 months of your policy, are you not taken care of after 12 months when the policy expires or needs to be renewed?

I'm the maid of honor for the weddings so I want to make it if possible and if it's relatively safe.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not ideal but the easiest thing would be to get pregnant after you are done with the weddings. The cost involved could potentially be massive, even with medical insurance.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what an anchor baby is.
That is when a woman comes to the US with the intention of giving birth in the US so that the child will automatically be a US citizen. Your original question was so unusual that many people would simply assume that was probably what you really wanted to do.

There is international medical insurance that covers birth, 10 months after the policy is started. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with what happens when it comes time to renew it or if the birth is after 12 or 13 months.
You can get insurance for almost anything if you are willing to pay enough for it so that isn't particularly surprising. The rules regarding coverage and renewal will all be found in the particular policy that you take out (and may also be governed at least in part by the laws in the country where the policy was issued) - since "international medical insurance" is just a broad category I doubt if anyone will be able to give you much information.

For example if you get cancer after 5 months of your policy, are you not taken care of after 12 months when the policy expires or needs to be renewed?
Well, that depends on the policy doesn't it?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

If you're going to do it, may as well see if the policy will cover the alterations that your maid of honour dress may require too!!!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
That is when a woman comes to the US with the intention of giving birth in the US so that the child will automatically be a US citizen. Your original question was so unusual that many people would simply assume that was probably what you really wanted to do.
How odd, why would I want my child to be a US citizen and not a British one.

Getting an honest answer from an insurance company before a claim is not a given. Which is why I wanted to know if people had made claims for birth after they were insured and what the outcome was.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Now you're just being silly.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well you might not want that, but may people would because it would give the child the right to live and work in the US if they wanted to.

(and, FWIW, while the law on British citizenship is complicated, assuming that you are a "British citizen other than by decent" your child, if born in the US, would still be a British citizen as well as being a US citizen)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.