Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen marrying US citizen in the UK, but to Live in US

UK citizen marrying US citizen in the UK, but to Live in US

Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

us-uk match is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen marrying US citizen in the UK, but to Live in US

My fiance is a UK citizen, I am a US citizen. We both want dual citizenship. What are the requirements for either one of us to reside in each other's country?
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen marrying US citizen in the UK, but to Live in US

Originally posted by us-uk match
My fiance is a UK citizen, I am a US citizen. We both want dual citizenship. What are the requirements for either one of us to reside in each other's country?
I had a friend just do this, he moved to the US and lived there with her until he gained his US citizenship. As soon as he took the oath they were both on a plane heading for blighty so she could live there long enough to get her British Citizenship.
They are halfway through it and it has taken them 4 years so far. They just moved back to England 3 or so months ago.

Once I married my lady wife I called the British Consulate in Chigao and asked them if she was entitled to anything (British Protectorate passport even) and they said until she lives in UK she is entitled to bugger all.

Last edited by manc1976; Sep 24th 2003 at 2:57 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 1:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by us-uk match
Both the US and the UK require a period of residence - marriage to a citizen alone is not enough. In the US the spouse of a citizen can apply for US citizenship after the later of three years of residence in the US, the third anniversary of marriage (whichever is later).

I think that the rule in the UK also requires three years residence for apllying for citizenship.

I guess that the quickest way for you both to obtain dual nationality is, after marrying, for your wife move to the US and you to remain in the UK. Then you'll both be able to apply for your second nationality after three years!

BTW the application process for citizenship can, I hear, take six months to a year in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 28th 2003 at 1:31 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:00 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Both the US and the UK require a period of residence - marriage to a citizen alone is not enough. In the US the spouse of a citizen can apply for US citizenship after the later of three years of residence in the US, the third anniversary of marriage (whichever is later).

I think that the rule in the UK also requires three years residence for apllying for citizenship.

I guess that the quickest way for you both to obtain dual nationality is for, after marrying, you to move to the US and leave your wife in the UK. Then you'll both be able to apply for your second nationality after three years!

BTW the application process for citizenship can, I hear, take six months to a year in the US.
I got U.S. citizenship, after many eons of residency - it took two years from initial filing of forms to the swearing in.

I'm also pretty sure that establishing residency in the UK requires 3 years.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 1:21 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pulaski

I guess that the quickest way for you both to obtain dual nationality is, after marrying, for your wife move to the US and you to reamin in the UK.
Hmmmm - ever helpful Pulaski - btw, passed by "your" skyway yesterday.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 1:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
..... - btw, passed by "your" skyway yesterday.
Yeah, the royalties prove quite handy!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My American wife has just passed her three years in the U.K
Do we just contact the Home Office to get citizenship?
Anyone done this before and know how long it will take.
However, we do intend to return to America in january, would that be too soon and awkward with the authorities here??

Thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I didn't think a US citizen by Birth could have dual nationality. If a US citizen knowlingly applies for the citizenship of another country they will be forced to give up there US citizenship.

And apparently the consulates do communicate and I have heard stories of people finding themselves disposesed by there original country?

I am married to a yank and would not recomend her appy, for the reasons above. Me as a brit however, can have as many as I want...
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by smiler125
Hi

My American wife has just passed her three years in the U.K
Do we just contact the Home Office to get citizenship?
Anyone done this before and know how long it will take.
However, we do intend to return to America in january, would that be too soon and awkward with the authorities here??

Thanks
If you haven't already done so, read the information provided about applying for citizenship on the Home Office website.

For your timeline, it may NOT be possible to process your wife's application for citizenship before you leave for the US. This is just an educated guess, based on the fact that Christmas/New Year falls in the processing period.

NC Penguin