Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen, class 3 misdemeanour for speeding will it affect re-entering US?

UK citizen, class 3 misdemeanour for speeding will it affect re-entering US?

Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen, class 3 misdemeanour for speeding will it affect re-entering US?

Originally Posted by Rushman
Only in the land of the free can speeding in your car be classed as a criminal offence. Your living in a nazi state and you dont know it.
The Nazis loved autobahns!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: UK citizen, class 3 misdemeanour for speeding will it affect re-entering US?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
The Nazis loved autobahns!
Yeah but they let you go fast on theirs, they just dangle the bloody carrot here and nick you when you try to take a bite.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:36 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Only in the land of the free can speeding in your car be classed as a criminal offence. Your living in a nazi state and you dont know it.
You're right. Not allowing you to drive as fast as you want is exactly like being put on a train to a death camp.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 2:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

.... I was referring to interstates/motorways and will no doubt be inundated by all the do gooders telling me that such speed even on motorways should carry a custodial sentence.
depends on the driving conditions...if it's a nice sunny day, sod it, but pissing it down with commuter traffic about to start...
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on the driving conditions...
They tried that in Wyoming for a while.. no speed limit, but you had to be doing a sensible speed for the conditions.
It didn't last, IIRC.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
They tried that in Wyoming for a while.. no speed limit, but you had to be doing a sensible speed for the conditions.
It didn't last, IIRC.
maybe it might get dismissed! Send a letter to the court, telling them the situation and see what comes of it. Hubby is always up in traffic court and 2 thirds always get dismissed.

i suppose time is running out for me to keep using my german lic. no bugger can understand it so they tell me to slow down and tell me to go on my merry way... too much paper work
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It didn't last, IIRC.
That would be Montana. The official term was "Reasonable & Prudent" but it was scrapped as different law enforcement officers and drivers had different standards as to what was reasonable and prudent.

Jim.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:11 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

It was Montana, and the "reasonable and prudent" limit was during daylight hours only.

The state supreme court found it to be unconstitutional, claiming that it was not possible to enforce a statute that allowed for so much individual discretion. The real reason for the decision may have been that the state was tiring of its reputation as operating the Montanabahn, with some drivers having been acquitted by juries for speeds above 100 mph because the speeds were found to be reasonable and prudent.

Before the era of the 55 mph limit, Montana and Nevada had both had reasonable and prudent limits, so it's hard to imagine that a law that Montana had had for many years had suddenly become problematic.

In any case, the daytime limit in Montana is now 75 mph, and the highest limit in the US is in Texas (80 mph.) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...7-01-11.jpgFor the nostalgic among you, here's a pic of the old Montana speed limit sign: http://www.us-highways.com/montana/mtspeedsign.jpg
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
That would be Montana. The official term was "Reasonable & Prudent" but it was scrapped as different law enforcement officers and drivers had different standards as to what was reasonable and prudent.

Jim.
Thank you for that.. I knew it didn't look right.. we passed through there on a road trip at the time... it's a bit of a blur!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
It was Montana, and the "reasonable and prudent" limit was during daylight hours only.

The state supreme court found it to be unconstitutional, claiming that it was not possible to enforce a statute that allowed for so much individual discretion. The real reason for the decision may have been that the state was tiring of its reputation as operating the Montanabahn, with some drivers having been acquitted by juries for speeds above 100 mph because the speeds were found to be reasonable and prudent.

Before the era of the 55 mph limit, Montana and Nevada had both had reasonable and prudent limits, so it's hard to imagine that a law that Montana had had for many years had suddenly become problematic.

In any case, the daytime limit in Montana is now 75 mph, and the highest limit in the US is in Texas (80 mph.) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...7-01-11.jpgFor the nostalgic among you, here's a pic of the old Montana speed limit sign: http://www.us-highways.com/montana/mtspeedsign.jpg
Thats it then...Im moving to Texas ASAP.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

But that is not all over Texas...in the counties around my way it's only 65mph
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
But that is not all over Texas...in the counties around my way it's only 65mph
Then I want to know EXACTLY where the 80 mph limit is.

I should've moved to the Isle of Man or Germany.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

well don't come and visit me thenwe are obviously too slow for you. I think when we were driving out towards El Paso way on route for New Mexico it was 75mph
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:03 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

it's on I-10 east of El Paso in and around the area where the I-10 / I-20 split is.

I've been down that neck of the woods, it's empty.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:17 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The governor of Texas is promoting the creation of a NAFTA trade corridor that would include an interstate with an 85 mph speed limit. You might want to send a letter expressing your support...

Until recently, the Northern Territory of Australia had many rural stretches of highway without speed limits (there are no motorways there, these are only two-lane highways), but now there is a limit of 130 km/h. So you won't being seeing any more of these down undah: http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images...8/8SignM_m.jpg

Not that it was ever such a great idea to go much over that, anyway. Kangaroos are not exactly the most clever of animals when it comes to avoiding traffic, and cars don't tend to fare all that well after a roo encounter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.