Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen, class 3 misdemeanour for speeding will it affect re-entering US?

UK citizen, class 3 misdemeanour for speeding will it affect re-entering US?

Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: UK citizen, class 3 misdemeanour for speeding will it affect re-entering US?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
well don't come and visit me thenwe are obviously too slow for you. I think when we were driving out towards El Paso way on route for New Mexico it was 75mph
Out in the West Texas town of El Paso I fell in love with a Mexican girl. Nightime would find me in Rosie's cantina.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen, class 3 misdemeanour for speeding will it affect re-entering US?

Originally Posted by Rushman
Out in the West Texas town of El Paso I fell in love with a Mexican girl. Nightime would find me in Rosie's cantina.
Well you should fit in well in Texas then - since I see you're already a country music fan
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:00 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I got caught doing 93 in a 65 on the freeway (LA to Vegas) in 1988. Went back to UK before fine was set. Arranged a money order and sent to court. Never heard a dickey bird since.

Never once brought up at immigration (although my 6 week overstay was - LOL - forever)...

I would pay it and ONLY worry about it, if you get stopped. Chances of getting stopped... IMHO. Slim to zero.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:20 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Texas isn't too slow!

"The fastest speeding ticket in the world allegedly occurred in May 2003 in Texas. It was supposedly 242mph in a 75mph zone. The car was a Swedish-built Koenigsegg, which was involved in the San Francisco to Miami Gumball 3000 Rally.[2]"

(from Wikipedia)
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:24 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the one where the Vicar on a push-bike was also caught speeding behind him dinging his bell when his "frock" got caught in the door jam

QUote : "The fastest speeding ticket in the world allegedly occurred in May 2003 in Texas. It was supposedly 242mph in a 75mph zone. The car was a Swedish-built Koenigsegg, which was involved in the San Francisco to Miami Gumball 3000 Rally.[2]"
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:38 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
I got caught doing 93 in a 65 on the freeway (LA to Vegas) in 1988. Went back to UK before fine was set. Arranged a money order and sent to court. Never heard a dickey bird since.

Never once brought up at immigration (although my 6 week overstay was - LOL - forever)...

I would pay it and ONLY worry about it, if you get stopped. Chances of getting stopped... IMHO. Slim to zero.
California has a 70 mph rural speed limit, 65 mph urban speed limit, and a special rule for speeds above 100 mph.

If you're popped for over 100, it's a 30 day license suspension and an extra point on your driving record. (Most violations in California are one point; DUI, reckless, etc. are two.) You probably won't go to jail for it, although the fine is no bargain.

Anyone I know who was pulled over for over 100 was nice enough to the officer and tolerated the stern roadside lecture long enough to get the ticket written at a lesser speed than the magic 100 figure, which reduces it to a normal speeding ticket.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
California has a 70 mph rural speed limit, 65 mph urban speed limit, and a special rule for speeds above 100 mph.

If you're popped for over 100, it's a 30 day license suspension and an extra point on your driving record. (Most violations in California are one point; DUI, reckless, etc. are two.) You probably won't go to jail for it, although the fine is no bargain.

Anyone I know who was pulled over for over 100 was nice enough to the officer and tolerated the stern roadside lecture long enough to get the ticket written at a lesser speed than the magic 100 figure, which reduces it to a normal speeding ticket.
the rumour here was that anything over 100mph was a felony and as such could have severe consequences for people here on a visa (deportation etc.) Officers have often been known to write a ticket for 98mph or 99mph to limit this... however i could be totally wrong.. its just hearsay here in LA
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Only in the land of the free can speeding in your car be classed as a criminal offence. Your living in a nazi state and you dont know it.
One of my kids was 17 and driving after midnight got pulled over car towed and was charged with a criminal offence,we get to court and pleaded not guilty so another court date was in store for him,next time around the DA said if you pay the full fine they will no charge him with a criminal offence.
If he had pleaded guilty the first time around he would have it on his record for life,what a joke
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Oh, Texas isn't too slow!

"The fastest speeding ticket in the world allegedly occurred in May 2003 in Texas. It was supposedly 242mph in a 75mph zone. The car was a Swedish-built Koenigsegg, which was involved in the San Francisco to Miami Gumball 3000 Rally.[2]"

(from Wikipedia)
how do you catch a car doing 240mph?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
how do you catch a car doing 240mph?
In a Veyron.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

this may get you a night or two in jail in the states,and a very sore body

classic youtube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nDlymVWOCDM
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
this may get you a night or two in jail in the states,and a very sore body

classic youtube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nDlymVWOCDM
Reminds me of Taxi, the real one.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:02 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
the rumour here was that anything over 100mph was a felony and as such could have severe consequences for people here on a visa (deportation etc.) Officers have often been known to write a ticket for 98mph or 99mph to limit this... however i could be totally wrong.. its just hearsay here in LA
Don't worry, it's not a felony and it's not even a misdemeanor, but an infraction. Here are the relevant statutes:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc13355.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22348.htm

One note about the $500 fine -- it's actually higher than that, because various "penalty assessments" are added to the fine amount in order to push the amount above the $500 "fine" component. I'm not sure what it is in practice, but I'm going to guess that you could pay $1,000 or so.

In these situations, if you wish to minimize the charge, the best thing to do is to hire a lawyer. Barring some horrible event or a complete lack of legal talent, a decent lawyer should be able to at least plea it down to a normal speeding ticket. The lawyer fees will cost you, of course, but your insurer will be less unhappy with a standard speeding ticket than it would with a conviction at 100+.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by angelman
Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Don't worry, it's not a felony and it's not even a misdemeanor, but an infraction. Here are the relevant statutes:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc13355.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22348.htm

One note about the $500 fine -- it's actually higher than that, because various "penalty assessments" are added to the fine amount in order to push the amount above the $500 "fine" component. I'm not sure what it is in practice, but I'm going to guess that you could pay $1,000 or so.

In these situations, if you wish to minimize the charge, the best thing to do is to hire a lawyer. Barring some horrible event or a complete lack of legal talent, a decent lawyer should be able to at least plea it down to a normal speeding ticket. The lawyer fees will cost you, of course, but your insurer will be less unhappy with a standard speeding ticket than it would with a conviction at 100+.
I got nabbed doing 103 in a 65 on the I-87. The trooper dropped the speed to 93 but I still got six points a $500 fine and $450 "drivers assesment fee" whatever the **** that is supposed to be .
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:08 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I got nabbed doing 103 in a 65 on the I-87. The trooper dropped the speed to 93 but I still got six points a $500 fine and $450 "drivers assesment fee" whatever the **** that is supposed to be .
See, it doesn't pay to pull over. Next time just step on it, if they catch up to you in a heavy a$$ Crown Vic you deserve the fine...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.