Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

uk citizen application

uk citizen application

Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

pawtuckaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk citizen application

I am a british citizen living in the states for 33yrs and married to a us citizen for the same time and now want to get my wife a british passport. I have gone online and cannot find official info and forms to do this. We are getting ready to retire and live in a house we own in northumberland for part of the year and do not want to jump through hoops every time my wife is asked length of stay by immigration. Your help and advice would be great.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: uk citizen application

you cannot just get your wife a british passport , unless she is entitled to 1 on her own merits....what you will need to do is apply for a settlement visa for your spouse to live(and work) in the UK , once that has been gotten then you are able to enter the UK with your wife to live...if it is gonna be before april or so , you can get them to mark your wifes visa as settlement visa with KOL required , this will enable your wife to enter and immediately take the KOL test and apply for ILR (permanent residency) , as apposed to having to wait for 2years to get ILR
then after 3years she will be able to apply for naturalisation as a british citizen
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'll bite....

She's not a citizen of the UK, so she's not entitled to a British passport.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

pawtuckaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Thats the info i needed.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pawtuckaway View Post
Thanks. Thats the info i needed.
If you're applying for settlement, it can be cheaper for your wife to fly to UK (or perhaps when you're there anyway), take the KOL test, fly back to US and then apply for indefinite leave to enter visa. It saves you paying the ILR fees and for immigration purposes is the same thing. You can do it this way if you've been married more than 4 years which you clearly have!!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson View Post
If you're applying for settlement, it can be cheaper for your wife to fly to UK (or perhaps when you're there anyway), take the KOL test, fly back to US and then apply for indefinite leave to enter visa. It saves you paying the ILR fees and for immigration purposes is the same thing. You can do it this way if you've been married more than 4 years which you clearly have!!
the only thing about that is that these days they are asking for a bill or letter or something with a UK postcode on it so unless you have a residence there with your partner (who is taking the test) having mail being delivered there you cannot do that now....i think the postcode thing only started a few months ago
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by paulpur View Post
the only thing about that is that these days they are asking for a bill or letter or something with a UK postcode on it so unless you have a residence there with your partner (who is taking the test) having mail being delivered there you cannot do that now....i think the postcode thing only started a few months ago
Aaah, so they closed that little loophole did they?! Any excuse for more ££££!