Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK cars in the US - anyone imported?

UK cars in the US - anyone imported?

Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK cars in the US - anyone imported?

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm sure I read somewhere that certain BMW and Mercs that are on sale in the US are German build, where as the more popular ones (3 series...) are US build. So if you buy a certain model in the US it will be a German built car anyway.
Emphasis on the word certain

Jim
Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm sure I read somewhere that certain BMW and Mercs that are on sale in the US are German build, where as the more popular ones (3 series...) are US build. So if you buy a certain model in the US it will be a German built car anyway.
Nope. 3 series are built in Germany or South Africa. Many of their SUV variants are built in the US, the rest mostly in Germany.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best examples of car imports is a Land Rover 110 Defender. In 1993 around 510 were imported into the USA. The only Land Rover you can import is 1993 left hand drive with a V8 petrol engine no right hand drives or diesels and it then goes to the Registerd Importer to have the complaince work done. This is public information and posted on the NHSTA web site. To import any other year of Rover less than 25 years old is illegal.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I have imported a US spec car into the US, it was pretty straightforward from a paperwork standpoint, they just want evidence it is a US spec car, which is usually pretty easy as it has the US compliance stickers on it, failing that a letter from the manufacturer, previous US title, etc. Then you have to have an EPA check done which is a joke, to ensure you haven't fiddled with it abroad and it meets the emissions standards.

These are the instructions: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml

The biggest problem I found was with sales tax, a lot of States call it a "use tax" or whatever so any vehicle imported, whether new or used can be subject to it. I'd check before you try it, and also remember there are ways out of it, for example if the vehicle was previously sold in the US and sales tax was paid at that point, but you need evidence, e.g. a State title and old registration for the car, etc.

I wouldn't do it again though, not worth the hassle.

The one thing I just wanted to emphasize is in those CBP instructions - your car is NOT a shipping container. It will be broken into if there is even a hint there is anything of value inside it and figuring out who did it and prosecuting them is very hard indeed, which is why CBP give you that warning. I speak from personal experience!
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:48 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
One of the best examples of car imports is a Land Rover 110 Defender. In 1993 around 510 were imported into the USA. The only Land Rover you can import is 1993 left hand drive with a V8 petrol engine no right hand drives or diesels and it then goes to the Registerd Importer to have the complaince work done. This is public information and posted on the NHSTA web site. To import any other year of Rover less than 25 years old is illegal.
Ofcourse with the D90s and certain D1's you could just throw in a 300tdi engine...
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the value of the (NAS) 110's in 6 years time ... then being 25 years old etc.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Ofcourse with the D90s and certain D1's you could just throw in a 300tdi engine...
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the value of the (NAS) 110's in 6 years time ... then being 25 years old etc.
With an NAS 110 you will always have one of only around 512 ever made as opposed to 25 year ROW 110 of which thousands were made.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

fizzeruk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, 1st post so be gentle. I am moving permenantly to Florida at the end of this year and was keen to export my Mercedes CLS 350 CDI, just because of the novelty value of running a luxury diesel powered car where almost no diesels (cars) exist. I know that Florida are particularly lax in vehicle regulation (I know, I cant believe what I get away with when I'm driving my Dodge R/T Daytona there. Very heavily modded and most definitely illegal in the UK). So if I was to import directly into Jacksonville maybe it would be ok?
As O/P says it doesnt appear that anyone , so far, actually knows, maybe someone could suggest the correct authority to call?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fizzeruk
Hi, 1st post so be gentle. I am moving permenantly to Florida at the end of this year and was keen to export my Mercedes CLS 350 CDI, just because of the novelty value of running a luxury diesel powered car where almost no diesels (cars) exist. I know that Florida are particularly lax in vehicle regulation (I know, I cant believe what I get away with when I'm driving my Dodge R/T Daytona there. Very heavily modded and most definitely illegal in the UK). So if I was to import directly into Jacksonville maybe it would be ok?
As O/P says it doesnt appear that anyone , so far, actually knows, maybe someone could suggest the correct authority to call?
Unless it's a car sold in the US, it's pretty much a no goer getting it into the US.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

As someone mentioned previously, if the car is taken out of the US its not a problem. I wonder, if I shipped it back to the UK for its annual service and then back to Florida, maybe I could have another year, etc.
Do I have to re-register the car or does it retain its UK ID and number plates for the year?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As someone mentioned previously, if the car is taken out of the US its not a problem. I wonder, if I shipped it back to the UK for its annual service and then back to Florida, maybe I could have another year, etc.
Do I have to re-register the car or does it retain its UK ID and number plates for the year?
If it's a temporary import for 12 months....

And no, you can't ping pong it back and worth, it'll get junked.

The insurance will also be horrid....and how feasible will it be to drive in diesel in the area you'll be living in? Some areas it's no problem, in others it's next to impossible.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

If you do a temporary import I think it has to stay out of the USA for around six months after your year is up. Do not bother wading through the NHSTA and DOT regs looking for loopholes you can not bring it in. If you try and sneak it in the minumum fine is around $5000 and they will make you take the car back out or they will crush it.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:53 am
Just Joined

A lot of very dramatic answers!! I'll try to answer some of them..Diesel availability not a problem in Florida. I'm not attempting to circumvent any regulations, Including "ping ponging" my car btween the UK and US. Insurance cost is irrelevant, I currently pay around $2000 a year for the Dodge and doubling that is not a problem. I have, following a simple email to the NHSTA, received a reply with a phone number to "discuss the possibilities" of permenantly importing my vehicle. I'm afraid I dont generally do "sneaking" or "looking for loopholes". As far as "they will crush it" I think you will find that this is a last resort after exploring every other possibility. I must admit, being new to the forum I was looking for a little more knowledge and less heresay reportage. A simple email to the relevant authority reveals that, whilst there is some sketchy truth in what some have said, (in a "OOhhh!! its too scary to contemplate!!! kind of way). It is far better to speak to those who are actually going to rubber stamp the certificate.
The fact is there are so many late model European cars for sale in the US now, that even if the FMVSS sticker is not present, it may only take a letter to obtain permission to import. The CLS Mercedes is available, although not in Diesel form.
If anyone is genuinely interested I will continue to report my progress. I am more determined than ever (following such negative feedback) to get my Merc into Florida.
Not a very auspicious start I have to say!!

Last edited by fizzeruk; Mar 9th 2012 at 1:02 am.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by powerflower
Has anyone imported a UK car into the US?

Reasons - we have more diesels eg. Mercedes ,BMWs etc, and our cars hqndle better

So, anyone looked into this and done this?

Would like to do this.
Did something similar last year. Canadian car (built in the US) that had spent most of it's life in the UK.

The answer is that you need a certificate of conformity (letter on headed paper from the manufacturer) that the vehicle complies with the US standards for engine and crash stuff (so EPA and NTHSA respectively).

Some companies are very good about it eg Ford, some are absolutely rubbish (here's looking at you VAG!).

If you can't get the conformity certificate, then forget it, you'll be on the 12 month thing. Having said that, no one chases you after 12 months, but you would be unable to sell the vehicle in the US at that point - becomes a bit of an orphan with ZERO value (apart from spares).

If you can get the certificate, book it on a boat and collect from the port 4 weeks later. I would suggest you pay the extra $300 for the handler to deal with customs, that way all the paperwork is done when you come to collect.

It really is very easy if you have the letter of conformity.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Would you recommend the shipping company that you used? I have contacted Mercedes UK who do not see there being a problem but have advised me to contact Mercedes USA to see if they can provide the certificate. I am waiting for their email.
Thanks for your post It is useful to hear positive information from someone with actual experience.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Would you recommend the shipping company that you used? I have contacted Mercedes UK who do not see there being a problem but have advised me to contact Mercedes USA to see if they can provide the certificate. I am waiting for their email.
Thanks for your post It is useful to hear positive information from someone with actual experience.
Shipping was a breeze. Track down a chap called Ian Jeffreys at Schumacher Cargo - quality guy and good prices. I'd go for a standard commercial ferry rather than containers etc, as it's just so much easier. The big commercial ferries carry hundreds of cars at a time and are just as good.

If you can get the certificate of conformity on the VIN of your vehicle then it's just a tick box exercise on the import form. I went through Brunswick GA and it took US Customs not even 48 hours to clear the car.

I do remember seeing plenty of German cars at Brunswick (personal imports) so you're not the first to do this. It's all about the certificate though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.