British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Car Hire (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-car-hire-302257/)

Tone May 11th 2005 4:02 pm

Re: UK Car Hire

Memorable 20,000th post

Lizzi May 12th 2005 3:02 am

I've been looking for car hire recently too as I'm back in the Uk in June. I have found this fantastic website, www.auto-international.com
I don't think you can better those rates.

candy wy. May 12th 2005 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Lizzi
I've been looking for car hire recently too as I'm back in the Uk in June. I have found this fantastic website, www.auto-international.com
I don't think you can better those rates.

1car1 seems to beat those rates, although they do seem quite good. also a fuel deposit is required and you have to pay for the car 7 days before pick up.:)

Lizzi May 12th 2005 12:53 pm

Maybe it's down to what type of car you want to hire? I can get a Vectra/Mondeo 27 June -25 July for 588 pounds, compared to 693 pounds at 1car1..

candy wy. May 12th 2005 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Maybe it's down to what type of car you want to hire? I can get a Vectra/Mondeo 27 June -25 July for 588 pounds, compared to 693 pounds at 1car1..

looks like it could be down to which car you choose.:)

tony126 May 12th 2005 1:46 pm

Reading these messages has just made me check with 1car1. I have booked an Astra automatic from 18th May-13th June for £555. They tell me their rates do vary with the season and they do not have limited mileage like some other car hire firms do so it may be woth checking on that. I am happy with what I have got and will let BE know about their service hopefully to endorse Candywys' comments.

candy wy. May 12th 2005 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Reading these messages has just made me check with 1car1. I have booked an Astra automatic from 18th May-13th June for £555. They tell me their rates do vary with the season and they do not have limited mileage like some other car hire firms do so it may be woth checking on that. I am happy with what I have got and will let BE know about their service hopefully to endorse Candywys' comments.

automatic:D you lazy or forgot how to drive a stick;)
hope you have as good experience as i did with them. will look forward to hearing your comments:)

tony126 May 12th 2005 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy.
automatic:D you lazy or forgot how to drive a stick;)
hope you have as good experience as i did with them. will look forward to hearing your comments:)

Probably gear shift next time. Hips will not allow it at the moment. Had one done, due for the other op in August.
:)

HoosierDaddy May 12th 2005 11:44 pm

Check out www.rentacar-europe.com
Their price includes taxes, fees and CDW.
Normally they go thru EuropCar or Alamo.
I've rented twice through them when I'm home. Completely satisfied (I'm an ex-Enterprise employee).

Bob May 13th 2005 12:19 am

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
.... (I'm an ex-Enterprise employee).

There terrible....no offence :D but they were shite when I was thinking of using them, and a mate had a night mare of a time with them..

Elvira May 13th 2005 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Bob
There terrible....no offence :D but they were shite when I was thinking of using them, and a mate had a night mare of a time with them..

Strange - best car hire service we ever had was from Enterprise... :D

Probably just goes to show that it's the individuals you are dealing with that are the key - you can find @$$holes in any organisation ;)

Eskimo May 13th 2005 1:51 am

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Strange - best car hire service we ever had was from Enterprise... :D

Probably just goes to show that it's the individuals you are dealing with that are the key - you can find @$$holes in any organisation ;)

agreed used them here and in the UK - superb service every time - I have to use hertz for business and have a gold club membership and they are total crap !

Bob May 13th 2005 2:42 am

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

Aye, that's true...but my mate rented a car, returned in perfect order, handed the keys over to the guy, he shunted the car when moving it from the drop off location and a €500 charge appeared on my mates card for repairs, never got a refund either...

Elvira May 13th 2005 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I have to use hertz for business and have a gold club membership and they are total crap !

Just to illustrate my previous point - when I was back in Blighty recently, I thought I'd lost my Herz keys. They delivered another set to me in a little over an hour. Told me I would be charged GBP75 for the pleasure (which I thought was quite reasonable, considering that I was 45 minutes away from their location AND it was a remote...).

Found the 1st set eventually, brought both sets back when I returned the car. Thought I'd haggle to try and get the GBP 75 charge reduced. Turns out they'd never actually charged me!

But again, it was down to individuals: the nice chap who didn't charge me in the first instance, and the nice lady who didn't bother to rectify her colleague's "mistake"... :D

I guess I've used up all my car hire luck for this year - can't wait to see what horrors await me on my next trip :scared:

candy wy. May 13th 2005 3:31 am

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Check out www.rentacar-europe.com
Their price includes taxes, fees and CDW.
Normally they go thru EuropCar or Alamo.
I've rented twice through them when I'm home. Completely satisfied (I'm an ex-Enterprise employee).

they also take an authorization for 550GBP from your credit card unless you get extended liability coverage and for fuel deposit.:(