Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Building Society Accounts

UK Building Society Accounts

Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:30 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Building Society Accounts

A friend of mine living in the US is planning on going back ito the UK in the next fews years. In order to start getting things in line he contacted the Halifax Building Society in the UK to see about setting up an account there so he could start sending money over for when he makes the final move. The Halifax told him that it was illegal for someone to open a savings account in the UK unless you have a UK resident address.

I find this hard to understand because I know of a lot of people who had UK Bank and building society accounts when they lived there and just changed the address to their US one when they moved. I asked my friend if maybe this was just something the Halifax do and he said when he asked this, they told him it covered any type of financial account. I also wonder whether it is o.k. if you opened the account when you lived there but can't open a new one without a UK address.

Has anyone come across this, and if so, is it a new thing?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Building Society Accounts

Originally Posted by Lynne
A friend of mine living in the US is planning on going back ito the UK in the next fews years. In order to start getting things in line he contacted the Halifax Building Society in the UK to see about setting up an account there so he could start sending money over for when he makes the final move. The Halifax told him that it was illegal for someone to open a savings account in the UK unless you have a UK resident address.

I find this hard to understand because I know of a lot of people who had UK Bank and building society accounts when they lived there and just changed the address to their US one when they moved. I asked my friend if maybe this was just something the Halifax do and he said when he asked this, they told him it covered any type of financial account. I also wonder whether it is o.k. if you opened the account when you lived there but can't open a new one without a UK address.

Most UK banks and BSs do not allow non-residents to open accounts.

I've heard that First Direct allow it, though I'm not sure.

Also possibly HSBC, if you already have an account with them in the US.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a new thing...it is clearly stated in the Halifax Terms and Conditions. I have had accounts with the Halifax and Nat West for years...they send all correspondence to my US address. Please note I was resident in the UK when the accounts where opened.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 1st 2007 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Most UK banks and BSs do not allow non-residents to open accounts.

I've heard that First Direct allow it, though I'm not sure.

Also possibly HSBC, if you already have an account with them in the US.
I don't think it is a case of 'not allowing' ...I think it's because legally it is not allowed for a non-UK resident to open an account.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons we always tell people to keep their account open over there ..if you leave ..just change your addrss to a friend or relatives house
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
One of the reasons we always tell people to keep their account open over there ..if you leave ..just change your addrss to a friend or relatives house
You don't have to use a relatives address...as long as the account was open when you are a UK resident they will accept your overseas address when you move.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You don't have to use a relatives address...as long as the account was open when you are a UK resident they will accept your overseas address when you move.
true ..but the address can be useful for so many other thing ....
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
true ..but the address can be useful for so many other thing ....
I use my in-laws address...the same surname is useful.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:16 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an account in a Bulding Society in Bournemouth about 4 years ago, long after I was resident in the US. I have a friend, who is a lawyer there, who knew one of the assistant managers. He vouched for me and she pushed it through. So it can be done.

However, my Mother's Co-Op Bank would not add me to her account on the grounds you mention. I made the mistake of showing them my FL driver's licence instead of my UK one. I could have told them that I had been living abroad and was moving back but I was honest.

I believe that the UK money laundering laws take the blame all the way back even to the employee who opened the account for you if you do end up laundering money. That's why they are all so reluctant to cooperate.

Last edited by TRPardoe; Jul 1st 2007 at 6:12 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think it is a case of 'not allowing' ...I think it's because legally it is not allowed for a non-UK resident to open an account.
Legally it is allowed. Or more precisely there is no prohibition in the banking legislation.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Legally it is allowed. Or more precisely there is no prohibition in the banking legislation.
Try Lloyds TSB off shore. Their current accounts work just like any "on" shore bank account.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in the US and tried to open a current account with Smile (with whom I already had an ISA and savings account), they explained that they couldn't run a credit check on me because I wasn't registered as a UK resident (i.e., the credit companies use your registration to vote as the basis for you "existing").

Because a current account is a greater credit risk than a savings account, they therefore told me I was out of luck. So, even though I had a mortgage, a longstanding current account with Barclays, a gold Barclaycard, and two savings account with Smlie, I wasn't "allowed" to open a new current account by Smile.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:33 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Try Lloyds TSB off shore. Their current accounts work just like any "on" shore bank account.
At a stiff price, sure.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
At a stiff price, sure.

Nope, I think their annual fee is in the region of GBP 50.00.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Wildhaggis is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.halifax-international.com/home/home.asp is the halifax offshore website. You can get sorted out there.

but come to me for a mortgage....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.