Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK - Bozeman Montana - Have I missed anything????

UK - Bozeman Montana - Have I missed anything????

Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - Bozeman Montana - Have I missed anything????

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's interesting how things change. Until about 50 years ago almost nobody who emigrated made a rece visit first. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I wouldn't say a rece visit is essential either. It depends on your nature and flexibility as to whether moving "sight unseen" is a good idea.
That is very true, but it is also probable that it is only in the last fifty years that educated people have started to emigrate "because there's a big world out there," and not because they are escaping famine, dictators, poverty, all kinds of oppression. In the past there was nothing to return to, people arrived with their lives in one suitcase and just had to make it work. (Something we have discussed before in terms of clinging nowadays to everyday Skype sessions with folks back in the U.K., rather than going all-in on the new life in the US.). Sadly, it is the undocumented people who are in that position these days--they desperately want life in the US to work out as there's nothing to go back to. We are more fortunate, whatever some naysayers may indicate, there's still a decent life to be had in the UK.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
.... there's still a decent life to be had in the UK.
And a future that is undoubtedly going to get even better.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
Yes you have a very good point, we haven't actually been to Bozeman. We have the option to go and visit before I sign on the dotted line. I believe this is a definite to do before we make such a big decision.
Do this ..........
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I drove through Bozeman last summer, on the way to South Dakota from Seattle. I don't remember it that clearly, but I'm thinking 'industrial'.

I'd definitely take a trip first. I really like Montana, but cosmopolitan, it isn't. Although the university will liven things up a bit.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Salary wise i'm being offered 70k which I thought was good but others are saying that's about average. What do you think in your opinion?.
It sounds low to me. I was in a similar situation to you (employer struggled to fill a role in the US and offered me a transfer). I was also on the same salary, and I started in the US on $90k. The formula my company seem to use is take the UK figure, double it and stick a dollar sign on the front. It's not just the dollar-pound exchange rate to be considered, but the difference in pay scales. In my industry US salaries are a lot higher than in the UK, even taking currency differences into account. You need to do some digging to find out what your equivalent role is worth in the USA, particularly if it's a promotion compared to your current job.

It's not a very British thing to do, but you may want to consider bargaining a bit harder on your other T&C too, particularly if you are considering whether it is worthwhile making this huge change in your life. It's perfectly normal to do so in the US, and your US HR department won't think less of you for doing it. Things I got which you may want to consider asking about:
  • A paid trip for you and your family to your proposed new area to explore and decide whether it is for you
  • A written agreement that the company will pay your repatriation costs in the event they terminate your employment for anything other than gross misconduct (this is an important safety net - US employment rights are minimal compared to the UK and you don't want to be suddenly having to get yourselves out of rental agreements, car leases etc at short notice and high expense if the company does lay-offs. If you are on L1/L2, your right to stay in the USA ends with the L1 holder's job.)
  • 3 months paid accommodation in a furnished flat at new destination
  • 3 months paid car rental
  • Paid removal of belongings from UK to USA
  • A "keep in touch" flight back home to the UK once a year for you and your family (paid by company)
  • An extra 5 days PTO for "keep in touch"
  • A relocation agent to help navigate settling into a new country/area
  • A realtor to navigate through getting a new home

The main reasons to go are

1. Promotion into a new higher role.
2. A great life experience in an exciting location.
3. Gain knowledge of a different plant.
I had a similar decision process - mine was easier as I was single at the time with no dependents. I went by "don't regret the opportunities you take, only the opportunities you don't take." What's the worst that could happen? You don't like it and you come back to the UK, with a whole load of new experiences under your belt.

Last edited by yellowroom; Feb 27th 2017 at 10:32 am.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Idaho and Oregon for most of the last 20 years, so have had the "Montana experience" without living there. If you're not into the outdoor lifestyle then you'll find it difficult to fit in in Montana. Outdoors can mean hiking, backpacking, fishing, skiing etc in trendy North Face gear. Or it could mean hunting deer, grouse, bear, ducks etc in camo gear. Whichever, you'll come across both types and not much else. I'm sure you'll find some decent restaurants and a move theater there, but don't expect big city comforts and experiences. You'll have to fly for those to Seattle, for example. Yellowstone is close, but again, if you're not into nature (and that means grizzly bears on the loose!) then you will have little to keep you interested in Bozeman. FWIW a friend of mine worked there and lived in Livingstone which is 25 miles away and a much nicer town apparently.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Yes, I'd say 70K was pretty average depending on what industry you are in and where in the country. Is your company an IT/Software company or in the manufacturing arena?

Whereas Bozeman's rentals and property purchase may be reasonably inexpensive, I should imagine heating costs are very high due to the long winter.

You have to forget about the a health system similar to the NHS - medical costs are a factor of living in the US. Just be very sure that your company's insurance coverage is comprehensive and know what the deductibles, and co-pay are (these are in addition to your monthly premium).

Your anxiety is probably due to Bozeman being a complete unknown to you - hence my question as to whether the company would be willing to fly you over for you and your wife to take a look at the place.

This is not an unusual request - they are recruiting you you to move, not the other way around, and you have not even seen the town yet. They also have had difficulty recruiting into this job for some time, so they may well be open to giving you a trip out there in order for them to "sell you the virtues of the place" What have you go to lose by asking them?

One other thing to ask the immigration lawyers about - when would you obtain the Green card based on the fact that you would move on an L-1B?

With your daughter aged 18 you want that Green Card sooner than later and, if, I'm not mistaken getting the card takes longer from the L-1B than an L-1A due to the fact one has to go through Labour Certification.

Good luck to you.
Our company is in the manufacturing sector, I had looked into the housing market in Bozeman and thought is was quite high but the further out from the city you go the better the price - as is it in most countries.

I have check the company medical package and it looks good to me - around $500 per month for family cover.

I have asked the company for a pre visit and they can see no problem in doing so but I am awaiting confirmation on this.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I have check the company medical package and it looks good to me - around $500 per month for family cover.
But do you know just what that coverage is? The premium is only the beginning. After that there is usually a maze that can include a deductible (for all on the policy, or per person?), a per-visit fee, out-of-network fees -- all manner of things alien to us as Brits! You really need to see the fine print to understand just how you might be out of pocket after a doctor or hospital visit.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
It sounds low to me. I was in a similar situation to you (employer struggled to fill a role in the US and offered me a transfer). I was also on the same salary, and I started in the US on $90k. The formula my company seem to use is take the UK figure, double it and stick a dollar sign on the front. It's not just the dollar-pound exchange rate to be considered, but the difference in pay scales. In my industry US salaries are a lot higher than in the UK, even taking currency differences into account. You need to do some digging to find out what your equivalent role is worth in the USA, particularly if it's a promotion compared to your current job.

It's not a very British thing to do, but you may want to consider bargaining a bit harder on your other T&C too, particularly if you are considering whether it is worthwhile making this huge change in your life. It's perfectly normal to do so in the US, and your US HR department won't think less of you for doing it. Things I got which you may want to consider asking about:
  • A paid trip for you and your family to your proposed new area to explore and decide whether it is for you
  • A written agreement that the company will pay your repatriation costs in the event they terminate your employment for anything other than gross misconduct (this is an important safety net - US employment rights are minimal compared to the UK and you don't want to be suddenly having to get yourselves out of rental agreements, car leases etc at short notice and high expense if the company does lay-offs. If you are on L1/L2, your right to stay in the USA ends with the L1 holder's job.)
  • 3 months paid accommodation in a furnished flat at new destination
  • 3 months paid car rental
  • Paid removal of belongings from UK to USA
  • A "keep in touch" flight back home to the UK once a year for you and your family (paid by company)
  • An extra 5 days PTO for "keep in touch"
  • A relocation agent to help navigate settling into a new country/area
  • A realtor to navigate through getting a new home

I had a similar decision process - mine was easier as I was single at the time with no dependents. I went by "don't regret the opportunities you take, only the opportunities you don't take." What's the worst that could happen? You don't like it and you come back to the UK, with a whole load of new experiences under your belt.
Thankyou for your post -

I have done some digging since posting and the wage for that role is coming in at 68k.

I hear you on negotiation

Some of the elements you mention are covered - not quite to the same degree but they are covered. The list has given me ideas to be looking into for negotiation.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Psyman
I've lived in Idaho and Oregon for most of the last 20 years, so have had the "Montana experience" without living there. If you're not into the outdoor lifestyle then you'll find it difficult to fit in in Montana. Outdoors can mean hiking, backpacking, fishing, skiing etc in trendy North Face gear. Or it could mean hunting deer, grouse, bear, ducks etc in camo gear. Whichever, you'll come across both types and not much else. I'm sure you'll find some decent restaurants and a move theater there, but don't expect big city comforts and experiences. You'll have to fly for those to Seattle, for example. Yellowstone is close, but again, if you're not into nature (and that means grizzly bears on the loose!) then you will have little to keep you interested in Bozeman. FWIW a friend of mine worked there and lived in Livingstone which is 25 miles away and a much nicer town apparently.
I am big into fly fishing int he UK so things to do won't be a problem for me lol it's the Mrs & daughter I need to consider.

I'll take a look at Livingstone thanks for the heads up.

In the Uk we live in a small village in the countryside so we are quite used to that. But the town is only 15 miles away and we all drive so there would be that to also look at
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But do you know just what that coverage is? The premium is only the beginning. After that there is usually a maze that can include a deductible (for all on the policy, or per person?), a per-visit fee, out-of-network fees -- all manner of things alien to us as Brits! You really need to see the fine print to understand just how you might be out of pocket after a doctor or hospital visit.
Yes I have been given the full policey which is about 60 pages long - i'm working my way through it so i'm stating to understand the terms of is.

Just a couple of over view points - $25 copay doctors visit - $1500 calender year deductible. $6000 out of pocket deductible max PCY -
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I have check the company medical package and it looks good to me - around $500 per month for family cover. ... .
Not sure what you mean by that, and how much you understand about US health insurance?

There have been whole threads on the topic, and until you grasp the three different ways* you have to pay for health insurance and treatment, you really won't appreciate the implications of US-style health insurance and the out of pocket costs of US healthcare.

* Insurance premiums (partially paid by your employer in most cases)
Deductibles - the bit you pay before insurance pays anything, can be set at individual and family level. E.g. in my case my personal deductible is about $3k/yr, but the family deductible is about $8k, so Mrs P and I could each have $2,900 of expenses, and our daughter another $2,200, and we get nothing paid by our insurance!
Copays - the share of the cost you pay, may be a fixed fee, say $25 to see a GP, or be a percentage, say 10% of hospital care.

There are also copays and deductibles on prescriptions, not to mention the issue of branded v generic drugs, when the difference in cost to you could be hundreds of dollars.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 27th 2017 at 5:50 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have been given the full policey which is about 60 pages long - i'm working my way through it so i'm stating to understand the terms of is.

Just a couple of over view points - $25 copay doctors visit - $1500 calender year deductible. $6000 out of pocket deductible max PCY -
Ok this means:

- You pay 25 bucks per doctor visit each time.
- 1500 calendar year deductible - your insurance won't kick in until YOU have paid for 1500 bucks of medical treatment
- 6000 out of pocket - your medical insurance does not pay for all of your treatments/procedures (usually a good policy will pay 80% to 90% of costs). So in any one year, depending on how much medical treatment you need you could pay up to 6000 bucks for this shortfall.

Pretty normal cover ......
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Ok this means:

- You pay 25 bucks per doctor visit each time.
- 1500 calendar year deductible - your insurance won't kick in until YOU have paid for 1500 bucks of medical treatment
- 6000 out of pocket - your medical insurance does not pay for all of your treatments/procedures (usually a good policy will pay 80% to 90% of costs). So in any one year, depending on how much medical treatment you need you could pay up to 6000 bucks for this shortfall.

Pretty normal cover ......
Yes, that is pretty normal, and most people in most years don't pay anywhere near that much. After five years of paying whopping insurance premiums and never having anything to claim that was covered because of the deductibles, we realized that we would likely never have anything that would be reimbursed, and so went over to High Deductible insurance which slashed our premiums by about 80% and allowed us to salt away the cost savings tax free in a Health Savings Account (HSA - works like a private pension, but you can draw on the funds immediately for permissible health expenses).

To TeaMontana: ask if there is a high deductible insurance alternative - more and more Americans are switching over to HD health insurance.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I've visited Bozeman. It's getting quite trendy.....it's hippster Montana. It's different from the rest of the state which tends to be quite conservative.

The winters are brutal.....a good choice of vehicle would be something like an F-150 4x4.

$70k sounds like a good salary for MT, but Bozeman is getting more expensive.

Be prepared for some casual racism towards the Native American population.....although you could easily never realize they exist as they are not integrated into MT and get very little coverage in the media and their culture is either vilified or just ignored.

FYI if you have a stocks and shares ISA you should consider selling it before you move to the US to avoid complex tax issues.

Last edited by nun; Feb 27th 2017 at 7:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.