Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Boston

UK to Boston

Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Boston

Originally Posted by guitarman001
She wouldn't be going to University as she's autistic. At age 21 she would have to go back to the UK so we would probably get her over with a tourist VISA (you can stay up to 6 months at a time year after year?).
A B-2 visa allows one to stay as a visitor in the USA for up to 6 months at a time, if the POE officer grants it. If one is eligible to use the VWP, it is difficult to get a B-2 (I imagine her being autistic might make it even more difficult). Even with a B-2, one cannot make back-to-back trips to the USA. General rule of thumb is to spend more time outside the USA than inside. So, if one comes to the USA on a B-2 visa and stays 6 months, they should spend 6+ months outside the USA before attempting another visit.

Same thing with my girlfriend, actually... tourist VISA is for 90 days uninterrupted?
For your girlfriend, if she's using the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), that allows a 90-day visit to the USA (it's not a tourist visa). She should not make back-to-back trips on the VWP. If she comes to the USA on the VWP, stays 90 days, then she should remain outside the USA for 90+ days before attempting another VWP visit.

If I were single and care-free I'd jump at this chance but I must admit, seeing the cost of living in Boston and knowing I might not see my girlfriend for months - it is putting a dampener on things.
I can't really tell from your posts if you are planning to marry your girlfriend or not. If you get married, there won't be months apart as you state here. But yes, if you don't get married, then you guys will most likely be having a long-distance relationship while you're in the USA, since she would have no visa allowing her and the child to stay for the duration of your time in the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

She wouldn't be going to University as she's autistic. At age 21 she would have to go back to the UK so we would probably get her over with a tourist VISA (you can stay up to 6 months at a time year after year?).
Same thing with my girlfriend, actually... tourist VISA is for 90 days uninterrupted?

If I were single and care-free I'd jump at this chance but I must admit, seeing the cost of living in Boston and knowing I might not see my girlfriend for months - it is putting a dampener on things.
Don't do the VWP thing, it's not viable. The B2 isn't a great option, best just get married.

The thing with the visa, for the kid, while doable now is a much better option, if you decide to stay and get greencards on the go, and able to get those before she hits 21, she's good to stay.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I can't really tell from your posts if you are planning to marry your girlfriend or not. If you get married, there won't be months apart as you state here. But yes, if you don't get married, then you guys will most likely be having a long-distance relationship while you're in the USA, since she would have no visa allowing her and the child to stay for the duration of your time in the USA.

Rene
Well she could get a co-habiting B2 and likely get that stamped for a year. Don't think the kid would be able to get one and wouldn't help much with schooling etc. Plus if the OP isn't married to the mother, they have the added hassle of medical insurance because the OH and kid wouldn't be covered and be very unlikely to be able to get any cover and considering the length of stay in the state would probably be considered residences of the state, so would need medical insurance or face $1200 a person fine come tax filing time to the state of MA.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:16 am
Just Joined

guitarman001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some great replies of late - very much appreciated.

I think that basically, marriage looks like the best option. I'm 27, she's 19 years older (you'd have guessed due to the grown-up kids) - I had always planned something like this for a little later in life but let's see what happens.

If I got a green card, does that mean I'd have to revoke citizenship of the UK?

I let the company know about my doubts regarding girlfriend and VISA options but they still want me to come over - so I'll be there next week! I have one full day and a half day to myself - any tips on the MUST DO's as it *may* be the only time I'm ever in Boston if I don't take the job (or get offered it!).
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Some great replies of late - very much appreciated.

I think that basically, marriage looks like the best option. I'm 27, she's 19 years older (you'd have guessed due to the grown-up kids) - I had always planned something like this for a little later in life but let's see what happens.

I let the company know about my doubts regarding girlfriend and VISA options but they still want me to come over - so I'll be there next week! I have one full day and a half day to myself - any tips on the MUST DO's as it *may* be the only time I'm ever in Boston if I don't take the job (or get offered it!).
If you get a green card, or even eventually US citizenship you do not have to revoke your UK citizenship.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

guitarman001 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, that's good to know... and if I get a greencard and pay into the US system, will I be eligible for any form of pension, no matter how small?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

OK, that's good to know... and if I get a greencard and pay into the US system, will I be eligible for any form of pension, no matter how small?

Thanks!
If you work in the US on a green card you'll pay into US social security. You need 10 years of payments to qualify for a pension.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

the wiki has some suggestions on places to go and see in Boston, but a lot of it will depend on what you fancy tbh.

Might be worth seeing if you can catch a Red Sox game as that's about the only thing going at the moment.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that having a green card (Permanent Resident status) is not the same as having US Citizenship.

But as said, even if you become a USC in the future, you still wouldn't lose UK citizenship.

Rene