Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Boston

UK to Boston

Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

DexterBerkeley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Boston

Also, as it's a start-up and therefore I guess a small employer, check that they use a co-employer. I don't know all the ins and outs myself but it makes like much easier when it comes to benefits like healthcare and these co-employers manage it centrally for multiple companies and not only look after the admin, but can also secure better rates as well.

Last edited by DexterBerkeley; Jul 13th 2012 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I think people are being overly pessimistic about the cost of living in Boston.

Full price of family health insurance will be between $1k and $2k a month. But I would expect a company (even a startup) to pay at least half that so expect to pay between $500 and $1k.

For housing you can find lots of 2 bedroom flats in places like Watertown for $1500/month. It's easy to get to Cambridge/Boston form Watertown on the bus and the underground and the Mass Pike is also close if you need to commute out West.

http://boston.craigslist.org/search/...&sort=priceasc
Couple of teenaged kids sharing a room?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:17 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DexterBerkeley
Also, as it's a start-up and therefore I guess a small employer, check that they use a co-employer. I don't know all the ins and outs myself but it makes like much easier when it comes to benefits like healthcare and these co-employers manage it centrally for multiple companies and not only look after the admin, but can also secure better rates as well.
Yes. We are a small company and use a payroll/admin company which secures us much better group rates on medical and means we actually have a decent plan.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:42 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Boston and absolutely love it. I have been in the US for 16 years now and MA is my 6th state I've lived in - I much prefer it to anywhere else I have lived here.

There are great restaurants, bars, theatres, sports. It's a very walkable city and easy to navigate subway (the T).

I also appreciate the short flight time back to the UK.

It is one of the more expensive cities, but I think the pros far outweigh the cons. A one bedroom apartment can be had for $1200-$1500 and it isn't that much of a jump to a 2 or 3 bed. As everyone else has said, it depends on where you want to live and the price goes down as the commute goes up.

I lived for a year in the North End (touristy Italian neighbourhood) and loved the fact that I could walk out of my door and go to excellent (if overpriced) restaurants. You don't get much space for your $ there though. I recently moved to Jefferies Point, and while the neighbourhood is a little dodgier, the rent is less and the apartment is bigger. Great ethnic (Central/South American) restaurants nearby.

Good luck!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

guitarman001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick reply before I pop home - the job would actually be in Cambridge, MA..
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarman001
Quick reply before I pop home - the job would actually be in Cambridge, MA..
Splitting hairs really....that whole Davis/Porter Square, MIT/Kendall area are minutes from each other and a stop or so away from Boston on the T.

Bonus if it is Porter Square, that's on the commuter rail, so you could head way out and have a easy, if some what boring and slow commute on the rail and then not need to take the T anywhere.

Kendall area though at a guess if it's MIT related, cool campus, cool area. The Cambridge Brewing Company, across the street, really nice little pub for lunches and snacks and the Brit consulate is just around the corner and they host quite a lot of fun meet up events, especially for science/tech related people.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:35 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Couple of teenaged kids sharing a room?
I didn't realize there'd be 2 kids......so maybe $1800 to $2000 for a 3 bedroom.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by nun
I didn't realize there'd be 2 kids......so maybe $1800 to $2000 for a 3 bedroom.
Aye, second post by the OP, 18 and 16 I think it was as the third kid was aged out.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

MiT related yeah.. I'll be lucky to get the job with all those smart bods around! ;D

I think only only her autistic daughter would be coming - the other would stay to go to University or similar - I don't think I could afford to support them all. 2-bed flat... Yes, still at work - better get used to long hours if I'm working at a startup!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

MiT related yeah.. I'll be lucky to get the job with all those smart bods around! ;D

I think only only her autistic daughter would be coming - the other would stay to go to University or similar - I don't think I could afford to support them all. 2-bed flat... Yes, still at work - better get used to long hours if I'm working at a startup!
So $1500 a month for a two bed flat then.

Don't be intimidated by MIT, they're just a bunch of engineers....the real intellectual stuff goes on a couple of miles up Mass Ave.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Actually, that is what I've heard! The guy who interviewed me (nice guy, real smart) said they had to hire design engineers from the smaller universities as the MIT grads weren't so hot when it came to the bare bones design - they're more into the system-level side of things. At my work now the most applications we get are from the Indians and Chinese - some of their unis seem to be the size of towns here!

I was speaking to a financial consultant today and mentioned this opportunity. He said Boston is lovely and even if the start-up doesn't take off, it would look like dynamite on the CV lol. That or Munich, both look attractive.

My girlfriend is the legal guardian for her daughter, so it wouldn't look good if she ditched her here with her birth father. However perhaps a year here, a year there!? I don't think it would be fair on my girlfriend not having any relation in the vicinity seeing as I'll be at work practically all the time and she'd be stuck wherever we are not able to get a job and perhaps not much to do - emotional support as well etc..

I need to get home soon (7:45pm!) as I've got a Chinese waiting!!

Cheers!

Last edited by guitarman001; Jul 13th 2012 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Guys,

My girlfriend was looking online and she says she can't come across even if married unless I was a resident? Surely that can't be right - I thought it would be ok if I had a working VISA (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...3.html#members). I've been invited over for interview and it's made it so much more real. A bit scary!

Was I correct in saying $85k per year is around $5k per month.. and is that ok to live on, really? I'm still guessing with finger in the air at a figure of $1k per month healthcare for myself and girlfriend combined..

Last edited by guitarman001; Jul 17th 2012 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

If you're married, she'd get a derivative visa.

L1 gets L2, allows work. H1 gets H4, does not allow work.

The salary is doable, but it depends on if you want to rent a house in Boston or live in the burbs. In Boston itself, with a family, it'll be tight, but much more doable in the burbs.

The thing to consider, especially with the 16 year old, university.

You need 3 years residence in the EU to get home fees if she wanted to study in the UK, more importantly than the home rates is the student loans, which are much more favourable than private loans. Studying in the US would be much more expensive, especially at any of the decent colleges in Boston.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

She wouldn't be going to University as she's autistic. At age 21 she would have to go back to the UK so we would probably get her over with a tourist VISA (you can stay up to 6 months at a time year after year?).
Same thing with my girlfriend, actually... tourist VISA is for 90 days uninterrupted?

If I were single and care-free I'd jump at this chance but I must admit, seeing the cost of living in Boston and knowing I might not see my girlfriend for months - it is putting a dampener on things.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend was looking online and she says she can't come across even if married unless I was a resident? Surely that can't be right - I thought it would be ok if I had a working VISA (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...3.html#members).
After marriage, your girlfriend will be your wife, and she can get a derivative visa based on your own visa. You do not have to be a US Permanent Resident.

Regarding her autistic daughter...is she your daughter? If she's not your daughter, then your girlfriend/wife might need a letter from the child's father giving permission for her to travel to the USA.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.