Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Boise baby 😊

UK to Boise baby 😊

Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cynnaminrye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Boise baby 😊

So we're hoping to be heading to Boise Idaho in Aug 2017 from Newcastle. We have a house full of furniture to ship over and a small beagle cross who we very much intend to take with us. So two questions (for the moment, ha):

What are the best shipping options for the furniture and house stuff? Any guesses how long it would take to arrive? Cost expectations?

Does anyone have any experience with shipping their pets? I heard somewhere that they can't be flown during the summer month but I don't know if that's true. Has anyone had a good experience using a pet courier service? Again, we're wondering about what to expect price wise.

Thank you ahead of time and of course we'll be checking all of this our with companies but it really helps to have some advice ahead of time. Cheers!
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Boise baby 😊

I will ask the obvious so that everyone is aware of the answer. I assume that you and your partner/spouse are US Citizens or have valid visas to move to the USA. If so, can you enlighten us so that it doesn't become a sticking point later in the thread?

As for your original question regarding shipping belongings, when I moved to the USA, my company paid for shipment of goods via Cartus. Cartus contracted Abels Moving Services to handle everything from the UK side (inventory, customs declarations, packing, delivery to the air and ship cargo ports). When the goods arrived in the USA, Cartus contracted Sullivan United to handle the storage and delivery of my goods. It wasn't a cheap option (cost the company over $4,000), but I wasn't paying for it so... I am sure that others will have cheaper suggestions.

Last edited by cautiousjon; Sep 14th 2016 at 8:19 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Oh yes sorry. I'm American and he's English. Sorry, I meant to mention that before.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynnaminrye
Does anyone have any experience with shipping their pets? I heard somewhere that they can't be flown during the summer month but I don't know if that's true. Has anyone had a good experience using a pet courier service? Again, we're wondering about what to expect price wise.
there are many recent threads concerning transporting pets. The summer month issue comes down to the route and the temperatures that are likely on that route. The pets are sometimes left on the tarmac for a period of time and hence they dont want excessive temperature. I think winter transportation probably has the same issues.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:11 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Some airlines don't fly pets at all in the summer, while others will fly them on some or even most routes. It all boils down to how long the plane spends on the tarmac. Find out which airlines fly direct to Boise and then check each airline's pet policy.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

mgmidget is an unknown quantity at this point

From my investigations, they don't like to fly the pets out to the hotter areas of the USA because of the time spent on the tarmac before the flight but they're happy to fly them into the USA as they're meant to be the first cargo off the plane.

You could of course travel with the dog in the cabin...but I wouldn't think it a great idea!!!
Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I wish I could fly her in the cabin! She's too tall by the airlines standards but it would be a lot less stressful for her and me!
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I wish I could fly her in the cabin! She's too tall by the airlines standards but it would be a lot less stressful for her and me!
Flying your pet in the cabin isn't allowed from the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Air France and Air Canada say on their websiyes that pets of certain sizes can be flown internationally in the cabin. Whether or not this doesn't count for UK flights I don't know but Rye is too tall by a distance though she could meet the weight requirements.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:04 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So we're hoping to be heading to Boise Idaho in Aug 2017 from Newcastle. We have a house full of furniture to ship over and a small beagle cross who we very much intend to take with us. So two questions (for the moment, ha):

What are the best shipping options for the furniture and house stuff? Any guesses how long it would take to arrive? Cost expectations?
Allied (they own Pickford's in the UK). Boise is pretty out of the way and inland so the exotic and/or cheap options don't make much sense. How long depends on the port but assuming they dock on the east coast and then stick it on a truck or train then I would assume around 6-7 weeks. As for dogs and cats, you just need proof of the rabies shot to show CBP. Imx people with small dogs and cats bring them in the cabin in a carrier, which is specified by the airline from what I've seen of them so the dog has to fit.