Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK biker becomes US biker

UK biker becomes US biker

Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Mark_Green is just really niceMark_Green is just really niceMark_Green is just really niceMark_Green is just really niceMark_Green is just really niceMark_Green is just really niceMark_Green is just really niceMark_Green is just really nice
Default UK biker becomes US biker

Hi
I moved from London to Exton, PA in June 2005 and being a bike nut who always had a bike in the UK and rode it all year round, I immediately bought a brand new one the first week in the US. I bought a brand new Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer 1000cc) - lovely bike. I rode that bike every day to work (18 miles away) and also whenever I had a work assignment (i'm an IT trainer) which was in a reasonable distance. The roads out here in the sticks of PA are amazing to ride, twisty, hilly, ultra scenic and on a warm day in spring/fall there is no better feeling. I rode that bike even in the coldest PA weather - I remember I seemed to be the only biker left on the roads after November. I have some pretty good riding clothing (and heated grips!)

But it all went pear shaped on Nov 5th 2006 when I was involved in an accident that wrote off my bike and took me out of work for over 3 months.

Basically, I was riding down Route 3 (a dual carriageway) on my way to Philly airport (ready for my flight to Dallas) when a car driver turned across my path at the traffic lights. The driver was supposed to 'Yield on Green Light To Oncoming Traffic' ie me ! Anyway the driver thought there was a gap between the oncoming traffic and went for it..I had spotted this potential hazard quite early on as I approached the junction BUT my mistake was to ASSUME the car driver could see me !!! I had the green light so I just thought.."oh they wont move...so I'll just keep going at the same speed.." ...but the driver DID move - right across my path. I tried to swerve but it really happened so quickly I just grabbed a handlful of brakes and skid across the junction ...I slammed into the car passenger door I would guess at about 35-40mph. I was catapulted about 40 feet down the road. My bike was still upright, jammed into the car with the back wheel about 2 feet off the ground ! I was taken by chopper to the city hospital and rushed into the trauma unit where they discovered I had shattered my patella (kneecap) into 9 pieces, also I had broken my wrist. Despite these injuries I felt so grateful to not have come off any worse. I had surgery to rebuild my knee cap, and was in a full leg cast for 8 weeks (and an arm cast). It is now the end of Jan 07 and my casts are recently off and Im about the start Physical Therapy to get my leg bending again and to start walking properly. (I am now on crutches) I am told I am likely to suffer athritis in my repaired knee as the cartlige will be torn up...whooppee. My wife has been taking care of me full time now for 3 months and she really has been incredible. I am going to take her on the best holiday ever when I am able to get around, she really deserves it, and much more. I am starting back at work in the next 2 weeks (part time). The doc said it will be a long journey ahead to get back to full strength. By the way, we have a lawyer to help us with the case - the driver was charged with the offence of not yielding to traffic. We had a great witness - the driver behind me saw everything. We are about to start the claim for losses, that will take some time I'm sure. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had to make a significant claim through insurance.

Put me off biking ? No..not really. I will get another bike one day. My leg is still messed up-and to be honest it has really shaken me badly. I'd always put myself down as a careful and pretty experienced and mature rider. This was my only accident on a bike. I just got complacent on a very routine journey (I ride that road almost every day). When I first spotted the car in position ready to make the turn I should have recognised this as a serious hazard, reduced my speed. Oh and one more thing...my helmet, gloves, armour jacket and backpack and boots all did a great job of protecting me - shame I left my leather trousers WITH KNEE ARMOUR at home - I was wearing a pair of jeans !

Dont let this put you off biking in the US - this could have happened anywhere - but I will never ASSUME I know what a driver will/wont do. I also will never leave the house without ALL my riding gear - now that bit, I am quite ashamed of.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK biker becomes US biker

hi mark glad that you survived to tell the tale ...lots of bikers around here and their clothing seems to consist of jeans and t-shirt, occasionally i'll see one wearing a helmet but not very often
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark_Green
Hi
I was taken by chopper to the city hospital
At least that was apt ..........
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you get better soon.

I was an avid biker in the UK and Europe, always had a bike between the ages of 16 and 30.

Here I have no interest at all. In Florida, it's illegal to filter through traffic, so there is no point in having a bike. I'd be locked up because there is no way I'd be able to sit in traffic on a hot day on a bike, how stupid. When I see them dutifully sitting there in the massive traffic jams here in Tampa, I feel like screaming "Get to the front of the queue!". Pathetic, unnessary and if you are going to be sitting about in traffic jams in Florida, I'd rather sit in my car, in my shorts, with the Air Con on.

Plus the roads are not good; there are NO bends around here without going miles out of your way; Lincolnshire countryside it ain't. If you talk to the bikers here about riding at very high speeds on public roads as per the Uk, and getting your knee down, they look at you like you are either a danger to yourself, an idiot, or or making it up. If I ever move to California, where the law is similar to Europe and you can cut through the traffic, and there are bends in the road, maybe I'll get one.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 25th 2007 at 2:08 am.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we do not have Florida humidity but we do have a lot of Bikers, most of them are old farts of my age on Harleys or pseudo Harleys. No helmets or body armour.

Obviously not many out at the momeent, snow and bikes not being a good combination, but as long as you stay out of the high mountains you would be surprised how many days a year are bikable, I have not so fond memories of 100 mile January trips in the freezing rain up the A1.

My sympathy's with your injuries, I learnt to fly following a head on and have an achey knee to show for it.

Anyway the Insurance bit:

1) Are you concerned about the claim against your own insurers, or the other guy, or both?

2) Do you know the other guy has Insurance or adequate Insurance? Has his Insurers contacted you?

3) Remember the State minimums here are nothing compared to the UK, in my State half the drivers have no cover or $25,000, which is not much better.

4) Unless you have some expertise in this area, or the other side make you an acceptable offer, I would seriously consider a lawyer.

5) Do not provide a recorded phone interview to the other side, dog eat dog here.

6) Do you have adequate Uninsured Motorist Cover in case there is not much cover elsewhere? Obviously you can seek to take the other guy to the cleaners but you will be lucky if there are assets to be got.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Put me off biking ? No..not really. I will get another bike one day. My leg is still messed up-and to be honest it has really shaken me badly. I'd always put myself down as a careful and pretty experienced and mature rider. This was my only accident on a bike. I just got complacent on a very routine journey (I ride that road almost every day). When I first spotted the car in position ready to make the turn I should have recognised this as a serious hazard, reduced my speed. Oh and one more thing...my helmet, gloves, armour jacket and backpack and boots all did a great job of protecting me - shame I left my leather trousers WITH KNEE ARMOUR at home - I was wearing a pair of jeans !
Ouch, but least you have gear...I've only ever seen one bloke fully decked in leather gear on a bike, and only people I've seen wear helmets were in NH as it's the law there, but not in Maine...don't know about Mass, but haven't seen anyone on a bike here...I think it's crazy to ride with out that protection....scary seeing people riding in flip flops, t-shirt and shorts...
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Brync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud of

Hi
I moved from London to Exton, PA in June 2005 and being a bike nut who always had a bike in the UK and rode it all year round, I immediately bought a brand new one the first week in the US. I bought a brand new Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer 1000cc) - lovely bike. I rode that bike every day to work (18 miles away) and also whenever I had a work assignment (i'm an IT trainer) which was in a reasonable distance. The roads out here in the sticks of PA are amazing to ride, twisty, hilly, ultra scenic and on a warm day in spring/fall there is no better feeling. I rode that bike even in the coldest PA weather - I remember I seemed to be the only biker left on the roads after November. I have some pretty good riding clothing (and heated grips!)

But it all went pear shaped on Nov 5th 2006 when I was involved in an accident that wrote off my bike and took me out of work for over 3 months.

Basically, I was riding down Route 3 (a dual carriageway) on my way to Philly airport (ready for my flight to Dallas) when a car driver turned across my path at the traffic lights. The driver was supposed to 'Yield on Green Light To Oncoming Traffic' ie me ! Anyway the driver thought there was a gap between the oncoming traffic and went for it..I had spotted this potential hazard quite early on as I approached the junction BUT my mistake was to ASSUME the car driver could see me !!! I had the green light so I just thought.."oh they wont move...so I'll just keep going at the same speed.." ...but the driver DID move - right across my path. I tried to swerve but it really happened so quickly I just grabbed a handlful of brakes and skid across the junction ...I slammed into the car passenger door I would guess at about 35-40mph. I was catapulted about 40 feet down the road. My bike was still upright, jammed into the car with the back wheel about 2 feet off the ground ! I was taken by chopper to the city hospital and rushed into the trauma unit where they discovered I had shattered my patella (kneecap) into 9 pieces, also I had broken my wrist. Despite these injuries I felt so grateful to not have come off any worse. I had surgery to rebuild my knee cap, and was in a full leg cast for 8 weeks (and an arm cast). It is now the end of Jan 07 and my casts are recently off and Im about the start Physical Therapy to get my leg bending again and to start walking properly. (I am now on crutches) I am told I am likely to suffer athritis in my repaired knee as the cartlige will be torn up...whooppee. My wife has been taking care of me full time now for 3 months and she really has been incredible. I am going to take her on the best holiday ever when I am able to get around, she really deserves it, and much more. I am starting back at work in the next 2 weeks (part time). The doc said it will be a long journey ahead to get back to full strength. By the way, we have a lawyer to help us with the case - the driver was charged with the offence of not yielding to traffic. We had a great witness - the driver behind me saw everything. We are about to start the claim for losses, that will take some time I'm sure. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had to make a significant claim through insurance.

Dont let this put you off biking in the US - this could have happened anywhere - but I will never ASSUME I know what a driver will/wont do. I also will never leave the house without ALL my riding gear - now that bit, I am quite ashamed of.
Hi There,

I read your story with great interest, and I'm glad that you're on the mend. I had a very similar accident in the UK about 10 years ago and like you broke amongst other things my right knee cap. It's a long haul back through physio to rebuild the bulk in your leg muscles etc, but you just have to be patient. The only thing I remember was lying in road semi consious and a bus driver leaning over me and saying out loud "Christ, I think he's dead"...I remember being extremely unimpressed at that point!!

Like you it didn't put me off bikes and in due time I made a full recovery, in fact I used part of the compensation to buy a ZZR 1100. That was the first time I learnt that my wife had a temper and that basically I was just born to be bollocked....

Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:23 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck mate - keep us posted on how you're getting on.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear that youve had an accident and glad that you are on the mend
as the wife of a biker posts like yours make me nervous my hubby was riding an R1 until last year when we sold it to help finance this immigration lark.