Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK BBQ to US Convertor

UK BBQ to US Convertor

Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Gu2Me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK BBQ to US Convertor

Hi - we bought our BBQ over from the UK. Went to Home Depot and bought a replacement US connector that fits on the top of the bottle. CUT the old one off the UK BBQ and jubilee clipped the new one on! Took 5 minutes - I even sold the UK one on CL to a US couple moving to the UK!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gu2Me
Hi - we bought our BBQ over from the UK. Went to Home Depot and bought a replacement US connector that fits on the top of the bottle. CUT the old one off the UK BBQ and jubilee clipped the new one on! Took 5 minutes - I even sold the UK one on CL to a US couple moving to the UK!
exactly what I did. The blokes at the local hardware store thought it was all a little dodgy and didn't want anything to do with it.

Its still working so far (3 years)
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both!!!

Sounds like a great idea and for sure I will give it a go!!!

Cyrus

Originally Posted by goatherder
exactly what I did. The blokes at the local hardware store thought it was all a little dodgy and didn't want anything to do with it.

Its still working so far (3 years)
Old May 20th 2012, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

TeamG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have just done above and have a 6 burner UK BBQ, the pressure from the gas is pretty low so it takes a long time to get hot, with 6 burners going it is almost unusable. Anyone else had this issue?
Old May 21st 2012, 12:50 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should ask that - I've just emailed the manufacturers about a grill I bought last year. I've never really been happy with the heat - its a 36" 3+1 burner model, and with 3 burners on full for 20 minutes I can only get it to 400F, maybe a touch over. I get a nice blue flame at start up, but within about 30 seconds it is burning yellow, and I can't "tune it out" with the standard aperture adjustments on the burners. I ordered the propane model, they delivered the Natgas model then sent a tech to convert it to propane. I'm wondering if the conversion wasn't done correctly, although I've no idea whether that could causethe problems I am having.
Old May 21st 2012, 12:53 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamG
Hi

I have just done above and have a 6 burner UK BBQ, the pressure from the gas is pretty low so it takes a long time to get hot, with 6 burners going it is almost unusable. Anyone else had this issue?
People with 6 burners are just showing off. Ours has 2.
Old May 21st 2012, 1:25 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I've 4 + 1, but no issues following conversion. Hacksaw, soap solution, pliers and some jubilee clips were all essential. The wife's gentle derision was optional, but seems that made it here too...
Old May 21st 2012, 10:56 am
Just Joined

TeamG is an unknown quantity at this point

I've checked for leaks with soapy water and nothing there. Looks like we'll be running it on 2 burners for a while. My Dad is over from the UK next month and he's done a conversion US to UK, so may have some input.

On the upside the Pittsburgh weather is glorious at the moment, perfect for bbqs!
Old May 21st 2012, 2:23 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

Yep, we did the jubilee clip job too like Gu2Me, it works, hurray to lots of bbqs.