Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK-based investments for USA tax resident?

UK-based investments for USA tax resident?

Old Sep 21st 2017, 11:56 am
Just Joined

warren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK-based investments for USA tax resident?

Thanks guys, clearly there are not good option for investing GBP in U.K. As a USA tax payer.
A little frustrating as it applies only to US tax payers but giant corperations like apple , google and who knows who else get away with some weird tax avoidance.....sort of legally!

As an aside I see that U.K. Is now has a tax free for savings interest some sort of sliding scale but in the £500-1000 range. A good deal. The US taxes your very first dollar of savings interest income....... Regan took away the $400 exemption...... and they complain about low savings in the USA!
Cheers Warren
Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:49 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

A few other options, in the uk, bullion held for investment attracts no vat and can be freely imported and exported with no taxation issues. In addition, bullion bought from the uk mint [uk minted 1oz bullion coins for example] attract no capital gains tax over time, and of course can be kept anywhere globally if the holding country has no issues.

You can also buy other unusual investments but be careful that they really are proper investments. Wine for example has seen plenty of scams/dubious schemes, but if you choose wisely antiques and other fine art can be an excellent investment. Eg wedgewood fairyland lustre ware is portable, has done very well, and shows no sign of slowing, as its a global favourite, not limited to american or japanese lovers. I know of a collection of antique [victorian and post] firearms that has made a mint. Antique cars, motorbikes, postage stanps...

If you have a personal understanding of a marketplace, use it... Of course you choose WHERE when and how to sell or even pass on as inheritance investments like that...

Last edited by uk_grenada; Sep 21st 2017 at 12:55 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:53 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warren505
Thanks guys, clearly there are not good option for investing GBP in U.K. As a USA tax payer.
A little frustrating as it applies only to US tax payers but giant corperations like apple , google and who knows who else get away with some weird tax avoidance.....sort of legally!

As an aside I see that U.K. Is now has a tax free for savings interest some sort of sliding scale but in the £500-1000 range. A good deal. The US taxes your very first dollar of savings interest income....... Regan took away the $400 exemption...... and they complain about low savings in the USA!
Cheers Warren
I think, like isa's, the tax free first x on savings is for residents only, it replaces the old exemptions on ones first investment profits.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I think, like isa's, the tax free first x on savings is for residents only, it replaces the old exemptions on ones first investment profits.
As a non resident I never paid HMRC any tax on my UK bank interest anyway, but did pay IRS tax on it.

As a UK resident I have ISA and a little regular interest but although they are exempt from HMRC I still pay IRS tax on it as the IRS taxes all interest including that from ISA's regardless of where I live.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

A few other options, in the uk, bullion held for investment attracts no vat and can be freely imported and exported with no taxation issues. In addition, bullion bought from the uk mint [uk minted 1oz bullion coins for example] attract no capital gains tax over time, and of course can be kept anywhere globally if the holding country has no issues.

You can also buy other unusual investments but be careful that they really are proper investments. Wine for example has seen plenty of scams/dubious schemes, but if you choose wisely antiques and other fine art can be an excellent investment. Eg wedgewood fairyland lustre ware is portable, has done very well, and shows no sign of slowing, as its a global favourite, not limited to american or japanese lovers. I know of a collection of antique [victorian and post] firearms that has made a mint. Antique cars, motorbikes, postage stanps...

If you have a personal understanding of a marketplace, use it... Of course you choose WHERE when and how to sell or even pass on as inheritance investments like that...
Collectibles - including gold - are taxed at the collectible tax rate; which is higher than regular US income tax rates on capital gains.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

UK CGT is not paid on any UK currency including gold sovereigns in the UK, not the US.

In WA state, no sales tax is due on US gold currency such as Eagles. However the US has been known to steal/confiscate gold from it's citizens.

Bullion , not coins, are taxed the same as any other asset.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Collectibles - including gold - are taxed at the collectible tax rate; which is higher than regular US income tax rates on capital gains.
Well that would depend on when such a capital gain was realised, where you are taxed at that time, if a gain is actually realised by you, and whether that regime recognised monetary inflation too. E.g. There is no capital gains or inheritance tax here.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there is some caution to be made against investing in peer to peer lending.

Peer-to-peer defaults in focus as UK consumer credit conditions worsen - Business Insider
Old Nov 1st 2017, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

warren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond reputewarren505 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
As a non resident I never paid HMRC any tax on my UK bank interest anyway, but did pay IRS tax on it.

As a UK resident I have ISA and a little regular interest but although they are exempt from HMRC I still pay IRS tax on it as the IRS taxes all interest including that from ISA's regardless of where I live.
Hi well that's ugly! Taxing ISA. I tried to open an ISA but could not as I am resident in USA with a U.K. Dual. They were just reporting on radio re tax laws they think they can change that Income under $100000.00 is exempt but still had to be reported. I guess it does not apply to investement type income?
Anybody know how to find out the current limited etc?and what it applies to?
As the OP I'm trying to find a way to invest money from Inheritance in the U.K. Until exchange rates improve .
Thanks
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi well that's ugly! Taxing ISA. I tried to open an ISA but could not as I am resident in USA with a U.K. Dual. They were just reporting on radio re tax laws they think they can change that Income under $100000.00 is exempt but still had to be reported. I guess it does not apply to investement type income?
Anybody know how to find out the current limited etc?and what it applies to?
As the OP I'm trying to find a way to invest money from Inheritance in the U.K. Until exchange rates improve .
Thanks
The exemption you refer to is the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and does only apply to earned income. For about 10 years while living in the USA I paid US taxes on a UK pension as well as UK bank interest.

The FEIE is indexed linked and is about $101k
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...n-requirements
Old Nov 6th 2017, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
I'll read carefully but it looks like there are no good options.....
Warren
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you!
I'll read carefully but it looks like there are no good options.....
Warren
There are no easy option, but if you really want UK fund, invest in a tax efficient account in the US and buy non hedged and hedged UK ETFs. You will lose a tiny bit on currency exchange but you money can be protected to some extent against currency fluctuations and you should make some gains.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Hi ARMacD. As you can see your message got removed as it was advertising ....but you can’t accept PM so I’m screwed as you are the only person who suggested you had possible solution to the issue .
If you can repost in a not advertising way that would be great or send me a PM.
thanks it’s an unusual situation but not uncommon I think
Warren
Old Sep 9th 2018, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrken30
There are no easy option, but if you really want UK fund, invest in a tax efficient account in the US and buy non hedged and hedged UK ETFs. You will lose a tiny bit on currency exchange but you money can be protected to some extent against currency fluctuations and you should make some gains.
hi,you are missing the point. Living in the USA you cannot invest GBP in the U.K. from outside BECAUSE the eu agreed to report all personal earning to the USA irs. BUT the banks or investement houses have to do and they don’t want to get qualified to do that so you cant find anyone to accept you investement Pounds. For example Vanguard U.K. is not qualified! Cheers Warren
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hi,you are missing the point. Living in the USA you cannot invest GBP in the U.K. from outside BECAUSE the eu agreed to report all personal earning to the USA irs. BUT the banks or investement houses have to do and they don’t want to get qualified to do that so you cant find anyone to accept you investement Pounds. For example Vanguard U.K. is not qualified! Cheers Warren
I think you may be missing the point here. I transfer my GBP earnings into my US bank account. Then using dollars I buy EWU ETF in my Merrill Edge account. The iShares MSCI United Kingdom ETF seeks to track the investment results of an index composed of U.K. equities. So yes I am not directly investing British Pounds, but I am still investing British Pounds in UK equities indirectly. To be fair the expense ratio on the US fund is lower than I used to pay in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.