Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK-based investments for USA tax resident?

UK-based investments for USA tax resident?

Old Sep 10th 2018, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK-based investments for USA tax resident?

Originally Posted by mrken30
Then using dollars I buy EWU ETF in my Merrill Edge account. The iShares MSCI United Kingdom ETF seeks to track the investment results of an index composed of U.K. equities. .
EWU is a real dog of a fund. Try looking at MTUM.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
EWU is a real dog of a fund. Try looking at MTUM.
MTUM looks like a USD based fund
Old Sep 10th 2018, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

MTUM looks like a USD based fund
It is, why stick with the UK?
Old Sep 10th 2018, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
It is, why stick with the UK?
Because I want to hedge against the pound going up. But there is a lot to be said for just investing in a good fund and not necessarily invest in UK funds.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Because I want to hedge against the pound going up. But there is a lot to be said for just investing in a good fund and not necessarily invest in UK funds.
Understood, and I agree with the theory that investing right is more probably a higher probability bet than speculating on the pound rallying. Nothing against the Pound but quality shares are very tough to beat.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

trailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the interesting discussion. I have been in a similar situation over the last few years, watching the pound sliding into the abyss and feeling powerless to do much about it!

I have little to add, but one thing to bear in mind is that if you transfer pounds into a US account to be invested in pounds, all of the reporting from the US company to the IRS will be in dollars, so you will be taxed not only on the appreciation of any shareholding, but also any appreciation of the currency. Sorry if that seems obvious, but it hadn’t occurred to me at the time I started looking at what to do with my UK lumpsum. At least, that is what I have been told by my CPA, Vanguard and Fidelity, all of whom I trust 99%, but not quite 100%. If anyone can categorically refute that, I would be most pleased!
Old Sep 16th 2018, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am not being taxes on my UK investments due to the fact I invested in UK equities via my IRA. This probably more than covers any exchange fees I incurred.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trailerdude
Thank you all for the interesting discussion. I have been in a similar situation over the last few years, watching the pound sliding into the abyss and feeling powerless to do much about it!

I have little to add, but one thing to bear in mind is that if you transfer pounds into a US account to be invested in pounds, all of the reporting from the US company to the IRS will be in dollars, so you will be taxed not only on the appreciation of any shareholding, but also any appreciation of the currency. Sorry if that seems obvious, but it hadn’t occurred to me at the time I started looking at what to do with my UK lumpsum. At least, that is what I have been told by my CPA, Vanguard and Fidelity, all of whom I trust 99%, but not quite 100%. If anyone can categorically refute that, I would be most pleased!
It wasn’t until I did my first year of HMRC taxes that I really understood how the exchange rate movement could impact taxes on capital gains. I put all the proceeds of our house sale in the USA into a short term bond fund in 2015 then sold it all towards the end of 2016 to buy our house in England. The gain in $’s was very small but the gain in £’s was huge due the high value of the £ against the $ when I bought the shares and the very low value of the £ when I sold them.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by durham_lad

It wasn’t until I did my first year of HMRC taxes that I really understood how the exchange rate movement could impact taxes on capital gains. I put all the proceeds of our house sale in the USA into a short term bond fund in 2015 then sold it all towards the end of 2016 to buy our house in England. The gain in $’s was very small but the gain in £’s was huge due the high value of the £ against the $ when I bought the shares and the very low value of the £ when I sold them.
Was that a USD or a GBP bond fund?
Old Sep 16th 2018, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Was that a USD or a GBP bond fund?
USD.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Walp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mrken30 what did you end up doing?

im in the same boat. A large chunk of change in the UK and I can’t find a savings account in the UK with decent interest that will allow me to open it as I’m now based in the US. The US ETF investing in sterling stock is a good option except for the punitive tax rate we will face when sterling rallies (is paying tax on increase in stock price due to sterling appreciation). Would be so valuable to hear if you found any good options (here or via message). Thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am using tax efficient vehicles IRA, 401k for my UK investments.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, keep your life as streamlined as possible.
Transfer the funds to the US and get them working for you.

You have a 401K? Are you maximising it?
Roth/Traditional IRA?

Also check this...if you want to play with the calculator.
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual...aged-payout/#/

This is a fun one too...
Compound Interest Calculator
Old Jan 15th 2019, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Walp is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: UK-based investments for USA tax resident?

Thank you!
Old Jan 15th 2019, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Exactly, that's what I have done. Bought UK funds via US investment companies. Merrill Lynch and Fidelity. The UK is historically very cheap at the moment. However that is not where all my money is. I am not decided where I will end up and I may not want all US based equities

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.