Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK bank accounts and US residents

UK bank accounts and US residents

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

davenay67 will become famous soon enough
Default UK bank accounts and US residents

I still have my NatWest checking and savings accounts from when I lived in the UK. When I first moved over here I wasn't sure if I was going to stay or not, so simply changed my address to my parents address. There isn't really much money in either account, and I probably should have closed then down when I knew I was going to be permanent in the US.

However, my mother will be moving out of the house and into a care home in the very near future, and I am trying to decide what best to do with the accounts. I would like to keep them because it will allow me to receive money from UK sources and pay some UK bills.

Do I need to change the accounts to a special type of account for overseas residents, or can I simply update the bank and use my US address?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK bank accounts and US residents

Simply update your address.

If your bank is a pain in the a** like Santander, prepare to send over a mound of documentation and the process last for a while.

If you can, get a third party mandate setup. My two banks never told me about this but it is a life saver to have someone you trust being able to change this stuff on your behalf later.

**Edit**
Speaking from experience. I wish I had a third party mandate on my account. I still have 2 accounts in the UK - closing Santander as soon as possible. HSBC has been great to me. No special account change needed other than address and contact info.

Last edited by Smartyy; Jun 23rd 2017 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I have a standard NatWest checking and savings account and they send everything to my US address. Well worth keeping open as it would be impossible to open a UK account if you only have an overseas address.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

davenay67 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the quick replies....much appreciated.

I will work with my local NatWest branch when I take my next trip back to the UK in the next few weeks. I would like to sort out the address details before my mum's house is sold and the address is no longer valid.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you really need a UK address you may be able to use something like https://www.myukpost.com/
However I also would +1 for giving the bank your US address. Though the recent FATCA paperwork issue has made it harder to keep some accounts in the UK

Last edited by mrken30; Jun 23rd 2017 at 9:34 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:24 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for giving the bank your US address.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our UK bank had our US address as soon as we moved in 1987 and were perfectly happy to deal with us while we were overseas. It was the Midland back and eventually was taken over by HSBC, but we still had the same account number and branch.

During our 29 years in the US it was really useful having a UK bank.