Reload this Page >

UK to Australia and now US?

UK to Australia and now US?

Old Jan 6th 2020, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Rhysdavies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Australia and now US?

Originally Posted by neill
Rural GA and SC are great, very easy and laid back living.
On the H-1B front, you have about a yearly 1 in 4 chance of getting the visa through the lottery system, all else being good.
That’s the probability factor indeed - Shame really as the UK and US do have a strong bond and our values are identical. Maybe post brexit it might change!
Old Jan 6th 2020, 9:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhysdavies
.... That’s the probability factor indeed - Shame really as the UK and US do have a strong bond and our values are identical. ....
I'm fairly certain that I am more likely to agree with you on that point than most BE'ers, but even I think that it is a bit of an overstatement - they are similar, and for some groups, very similar, but I see increasingly (British) people coming to BE are "disturbed" by the idea that healthcare in the US isn't run by the government, whereas the opposite would often be a concern in the US! Similarly, there is concern that the US operates "hire and fire" employment law (little job security) and doesn't offer open-ended unemployment pay, whereas US citizens often express surprise that the UK (and other countries) allow open-ended leaching off the state!
... Maybe post brexit it might change!
I'm expecting an E-4 to be created as part of the US-UK trade deal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 6th 2020 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter124
I don't know just how large this lump sum would be, but to some extent you seem to be optimizing for the short term, but giving up a big long term benefit ... i.e. Australian citizenship.

I went through the whole process of applying for Oz citizenship before I moved to the USA. Unfortunately things were a bit delayed, and by the time I was called for the final interview I was already in the USA. I could have flown back, but the cost of the flight put me off. Looking back, this was one of my biggest mistakes. 40 years ago, now, but I still have regrets.
Hi Peter,
I understand your views, Australia is a wonderful place. Many expats come here and never leave.
You can’t look at it as a mistake or have any regrets though. You have to embrace the life you selected. Maybe come here and visit for leisure purposes and explore australia in that way.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm ex-Sheffield (a long time ago), now in NC - been here almost 17 years, and don't plan to leave, ever.

IMO Lake Norman is expensive, over-rated, and is party central in the summer.

Depending on where you need to commute to (is it actually up-town Charlotte? (Charlotte doesn't have a downtown )) there are better lakes to live near than LKN, if lakes are your thing.

I agree with the factual observations in this post, but not the conclusions. I live in a semi-rural area "the county", not a city, and I do so out of choice. I find everyone here to be friendly, and it is no more my business what they think than it is their business what I think. My neighbors include both ends of the political spectrum but I will admit that I filter my conversation to fit whoever I am talking to. In short, living in a rural area in NC has significant benefits for me, and few downsides, which is why I love it here.
Ok very interesting, thanks

Rural NC living is one of the primary reasons why I want to move here. The homes are fantastic.

What are the top 3 reasons you like it there so much?

its “Second Ward” area in Charlotte where the offer could be, or in Greenville, SC (option but I wish to pursue Charlotte).

Having a boat is important as it will keep the connection of being near water close to me. That’s the bit of Oz I don’t want to lose. In your view, which Lake is better?

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2020, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm fairly certain that I am more likely to agree with you on that point than most BE'ers, but even I think that it is a bit of an overstatement - they are similar, and for some groups, very similar, but I see increasingly (British) people coming to BE are "disturbed" by the idea that healthcare in the US isn't run by the government, whereas the opposite would often be a concern in the US! Similarly, there is concern that the US operates "hire and fire" employment law (little job security) and doesn't offer open-ended unemployment pay, whereas US citizens often express surprise that the UK (and other countries) allow open-ended leaching off the state!

I'm expecting an E-4 to be created as part of the US-UK trade deal.
Very good points you make and I had researched the lack of employment protection in NC. I guess you give it your best go and back yourself, worked so far in my career.

I have personally always preferred to invest in my health privately so maybe not a big shock to me. I have no doubt if the UK had 300 million people the “free” model would not be sustainable.

Thanks for the insight, appreciated

Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK very interesting, thanks

Rural NC living is one of the primary reasons why I want to move here. The homes are fantastic.

What are the top 3 reasons you like it there so much? ....

Cost of living, availability of land and houses that aren't shoe boxes, and weather.

I believe that the weather in the NC piedmont is second to none in the US - winters are pretty negligible compared to even 100 miles to the north or west - people don't clear their driveway of overnight snow because usually the sun comes out and melts it by lunchtime, and overnight lows of -5ºC are usually replaced by 10ºC+ by mid afternoon. Then summers aren't as oppressively hot and humid even compared to 100 miles to the east or south - sure, its hot and humid in July and August, but to eliminate winter entirely you've got to be prepared for oppressive summer heat and a significantly greater risk of -> Hurricanes are extremely rare here - the last time hurricane force winds reached this area was 1989, before that? Who knows? decades? The land is too hilly for floods, unless you are stupid enough to buy a home in a flood zone, which is highly localized to certain water courses. Tornadoes are almost a joke in this area too, though not to the south in Georgia, SC or 100+ miles to the east of Charlotte in NC (a large DIY warehouse store in Raleigh was flattened a few years ago), or in Tennessee. Media have reported "tornadoes" within 50-75 miles of me which caused damage such as tearing the limbs off a tree, the guttering off a grocery, and some roofing shingles off a few houses, so entirely different from the monster tornadoes that can form in Oklahoma or Nebraska, or even the ones to the west, south and east of Charlotte. I mean you would take shelter if there was a tornado warning, but you wouldn't be in fear of losing your home and family to a tornado.

And before anyone from California pipes up - there is no history at all of wild fires, mud slides, or earthquakes in this area - there have been wild fires a couple of hours away in the mountains to the west, and there was one earthquake about ten years ago that hit the news. In my office it felt like a heavy truck driving past. I don't think anyone so much as fell over, or even suffered broken crockery!
....its “Second Ward” area in Charlotte where the offer could be, or in Greenville, SC (option but I wish to pursue Charlotte). ...
OK, so "up town". Which limits your choices unless you want to push the limits of the one hour commute.
Having a boat is important as it will keep the connection of being near water close to me. That’s the bit of Oz I don’t want to lose. In your view, which Lake is better? ....

If I had to live on a lake, and wanted a commute that was certainly less than an hour, I'd pick Lake Wylie, which while smaller than Lake Norman is still over 15 miles from end to end and has several major branches. It is also partly in NC and partly in SC. Mountain Island Lake is entirely in NC, between Lake Norman and Lake Wylie, but is smaller still. You will find that property prices on all lakes is lower on the west bank, but the commute to Charlotte is longer. If you lived on Lake Wylie you would only be around 10 miles +/-, from the terminus of the commuter rail line ("blue line") that would take you to within a couple of blocks of your office.

If you're interesting in pushing the limits of the one hour commute time into downtown Charlotte, there are a number of lakes in different directions which should be both quieter and more affordable - Fishing Creek Lake and Lake Wateree in SC, Lake Tillery and Blewett Falls Lake to the east of Charlotte, and Badin Lake and High Rock Lake to the north east. Rodhiss Lake and Lake Hickory to the north west are probably well beyond the one hour commute zone - probably a good hour-and-a-half in the rush hour, and there is no commuter rail service in that direction either.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 6th 2020 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:13 pm

..... Very good points you make and I had researched the lack of employment protection in NC. I guess you give it your best go and back yourself, worked so far in my career.

I have personally always preferred to invest in my health privately so maybe not a big shock to me. ....

You'll love it here in NC then! .... but prepare to be tarred and feathered by the liberal arm of BE.
... Thanks for the insight, appreciated.
You're welcome.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Wow!
Honestly thank you for taking your time out to post such a detailed response!

cost of living, houses and land availability is exactly why I am very keen to explore NC. If you stick in a golf club at a reasonable price, water access nearby and less than an hour commute to work in uptown that’s the jackpot!

i will digest the post and do research based on this thanks. I know I am investing a lot of energy for what is around 30% chance of success under H1-B but it’s what I want!
Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:18 pm

Wow!

cost of living, houses and land availability is exactly why I am very keen to explore NC. If you stick in a golf club at a reasonable price, water access nearby and less than an hour commute to work in uptown that’s the jackpot!

i will digest the post and do research based on this thanks. I know I am investing a lot of energy for what is around 30% chance of success under H1-B but it’s what I want!
Golf clubs are two-a-penny here - the market is over-saturated, and some people have found themselves and their home tied to a defunct golf course, which is a bit awkward.

I am not a golfer, but do you want to tie yourself to one course when there are literally dozens to choose from within an easy drive? Personally I would focus on the right property on a lake and then play golf as a visitor - and the HOA/ club fees on a home on a golf course can be pretty insane, probably more than paying the fees for frequent games on other courses.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!

Pulaski has served you up some good information. I don't really have much to add. If you get the visa and decide this is actually happening then I would recommend renting a little while before purchasing a home - at least until you have a green card nailed down.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I spent most of my growing-up time in Florida and now I am in Australia.

Charlotte is a business city, kind of like an Atlanta Jr. It has a lot of millennial and Gen X professionals because of that, a lot of people from the northeast moved there with the downturn in manufacturing and the upturn in banking. It used to be back in the day the Americans had laws in place to prevent superbanks from forming as that was seen as a threat to the economy, it used to be a really big deal to open up a bank account in another state and often showing that you had done so was proof enough that you were resident in that state. That was all lifted in the 80s or 90s and a bank called NationsBank out of North Carolina led the early charge on acquiring other banks and became huge. They ended up merging with Bank of America (which was in San Francisco) but kept the Bank of America name and BoA left California and took up the Charlotte headquarters.

The Carolinas and Georgia are on an extended growth curve, the Raleigh-Durham area is a major university and technology area, Atlanta is a massive business city. Charlotte is not a place Americans tend to seek out but more they wind up there for employment. Nothing wrong with it so many stay.

Considering the relatively low odds of getting pulled out of the lottery, I would continue on a dual track and apply for Australian PR unless you are sure that an Australian future is not for you. I wouldn't just stay in a holding pattern pending whatever happens with the US.

The PR is taking a while now (about a year) and that's not counting a month or two or more of getting all your documents etc together so that you can apply in the first place. There has to be some way for people to pull their Super out if they are not PR anymore (ie their travel facility has expired), I used to see links on the ATOs web site all the time for that, saying "Don't leave your Super in Australia?"

I live regionally in Australia, my doctor is British and loves it. How would you do if you pulled out of Sydney and set up in a place like Orange, Katoomba, Warrnambool, Byron Bay or Toowoomba?

I am thinking, with the seeming low odds offered better to make back-up plans for Australia.

As you have seen plenty of expert advice on offer here if you follow through on Charlotte.

Last edited by carcajou; Jan 7th 2020 at 2:42 am.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:30 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I spent most of my growing-up time in Florida and now I am in Australia.

Charlotte is a business city, kind of like an Atlanta Jr. It has a lot of millennial and Gen X professionals because of that, a lot of people from the northeast moved there with the downturn in manufacturing and the upturn in banking. It used to be back in the day the Americans had laws in place to prevent superbanks from forming as that was seen as a threat to the economy, it used to be a really big deal to open up a bank account in another state and often showing that you had done so was proof enough that you were resident in that state. That was all lifted in the 80s or 90s and a bank called NationsBank out of North Carolina led the early charge on acquiring other banks and became huge. They ended up merging with Bank of America (which was in San Francisco) but kept the Bank of America name and BoA left California and took up the Charlotte headquarters.

The Carolinas and Georgia are on an extended growth curve, the Raleigh-Durham area is a major university and technology area, Atlanta is a massive business city. Charlotte is not a place Americans tend to seek out but more they wind up there for employment. Nothing wrong with it so many stay.

Considering the relatively low odds of getting pulled out of the lottery, I would continue on a dual track and apply for Australian PR unless you are sure that an Australian future is not for you. I wouldn't just stay in a holding pattern pending whatever happens with the US.

The PR is taking a while now (about a year) and that's not counting a month or two or more of getting all your documents etc together so that you can apply in the first place. There has to be some way for people to pull their Super out if they are not PR anymore (ie their travel facility has expired), I used to see links on the ATOs web site all the time for that, saying "Don't leave your Super in Australia?"

I live regionally in Australia, my doctor is British and loves it. How would you do if you pulled out of Sydney and set up a practise in a place like Orange, Katoomba, Warrnambool, Byron Bay or Toowoomba?

I am thinking, with the seeming low odds offered better to make back-up plans for Australia.

However, the upside financially for a doctor leaving here and going to the US is massive.

As you have seen plenty of expert advice on offer here if you follow through on Charlotte.
Where did the OP say he was a doctor?
Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

There was no 'old Mercedes Benz Stadium'. The Falcons played in the Georgia Dome before moving to the Mercedes Benz stadium as it is now!
Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Where did the OP say he was a doctor?
Yes you are right, I must have had another post in my head when I wrote that. I have edited my other post though it doesn't change the message in any substantial way.

Thanks for the catch.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 4:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
There has to be some way for people to pull their Super out if they are not PR anymore (ie their travel facility has expired), I used to see links on the ATOs web site all the time for that, saying "Don't leave your Super in Australia?"

There isn't.
You can withdraw it if you are a temporary resident, but one you are PR it stays in Australia, regardless of whether your travel rights have run out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.