Reload this Page >

UK to Australia and now US?

UK to Australia and now US?

Old Jan 6th 2020, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Rhysdavies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Australia and now US?

Hi

Looking for advice from UK expats or local Charlotte NC residents.

I am 34 years old and I am from Manchester, England Married, no children (yet) and I have two dogs.

4 years ago I moved to Sydney, Australia seeking a desired lifestyle and a really good job offer helped. Weather, beaches, outdoor living all felt like new priorities for me. Australia is a magical place but it’s very far away from the UK and Sydney is very expensive to purchase property and settle down (I.e start a family) within close proximity to the City.

My wife and I have been torn for a while on whether we apply for permanent residency in Australia, return to the UK or try out a lifestyle experience we have “eyed” up for many years.. Charlotte, NC

We have spent sometime in NC, SC and GA and love the area... as a tourist and not as a resident however. There is a job offer there in NC subject to visa approval (how hard is it for a Uk citizen to move to the US, that’s a seperate discussion)

I am not seeking advice about Australia.

The advice I am seeking, if out there, is advice from any UK expats who may have originated from the North of the UK (ok if elsewhere) settling down in NC and have views on pro and cons.

The Lake Norman area appeals to me based on research. If the commute is less than 1 hour I can live with that if I get a good home, nice suburban area where we can meet people, golf, boat riding, sport, walking dogs etc.

Thanks for any advice
Old Jan 6th 2020, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Australia and now US?

What is the visa being obtained for the job offer? What is the likelyhood that the visa is going to be approved?

Forum folks are more likely to give you lots of info regarding the Lake Norman area and its benefits/drawbacks if they know you are definitely going to be moving there.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What is the visa being obtained for the job offer? What is the likelyhood that the visa is going to be approved?

Forum folks are more likely to give you lots of info regarding the Lake Norman area and its benefits/drawbacks if they know you are definitely going to be moving there.
Reasonable point to make.

H1-B which of course is subject to lottery procedures effective 1 April 2020. The UK doesn’t have any maximum threshold being exceeded which helps. I have obtained advice from an immigration lawyer in the US through the employer and there are other possibilities if H1-B is not successful. Based on conversations I have held, it feels likely to occur should I take the next steps.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 1:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhysdavies
Hi

Looking for advice from UK expats or local Charlotte NC residents.

I am 34 years old and I am from Manchester, England Married, no children (yet) and I have two dogs.

4 years ago I moved to Sydney, Australia seeking a desired lifestyle and a really good job offer helped. Weather, beaches, outdoor living all felt like new priorities for me. Australia is a magical place but it’s very far away from the UK and Sydney is very expensive to purchase property and settle down (I.e start a family) within close proximity to the City.

My wife and I have been torn for a while on whether we apply for permanent residency in Australia, return to the UK or try out a lifestyle experience we have “eyed” up for many years.. Charlotte, NC

We have spent sometime in NC, SC and GA and love the area... as a tourist and not as a resident however. There is a job offer there in NC subject to visa approval (how hard is it for a Uk citizen to move to the US, that’s a seperate discussion)

I am not seeking advice about Australia.

The advice I am seeking, if out there, is advice from any UK expats who may have originated from the North of the UK (ok if elsewhere) settling down in NC and have views on pro and cons.

The Lake Norman area appeals to me based on research. If the commute is less than 1 hour I can live with that if I get a good home, nice suburban area where we can meet people, golf, boat riding, sport, walking dogs etc.

Thanks for any advice
It would be a good idea to apply for Australian permanent residency and citizenship if possible, always good to keep future options open.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It would be a good idea to apply for Australian permanent residency and citizenship if possible, always good to keep future options open.
Agree keeping options open is desirable. The downside to PR here is you lock in SUPER. Whereas it I don’t apply for PR I can receive a large lump of cash which will be helpful to invest in locations I see myself residing long term
Old Jan 6th 2020, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well NC has a very good rep from those who post or have posted on here.

So you are looking to start in October, wonder what the back up plan and why it is not the other way around. It is about a 30% ish chance so I would be inclined to have a go and worry about it if you get lucky.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well NC has a very good rep from those who post or have posted on here.

So you are looking to start in October, wonder what the back up plan and why it is not the other way around. It is about a 30% ish chance so I would be inclined to have a go and worry about it if you get lucky.
Thanks for the message.
I agree completely on the mindset of giving it a go and then worry! Expats aiming to enter the UK don’t have it easy..

The back up plan is to return to the North of the UK. Probably not live in Manchester but surrounding countryside. Job and quality of living won’t be an issue, live very comfortably but it’s not where my heart is at. No distinct seasons, cold rainy and windy most of the time and I guess been there done it for the 25 year t shirt. Wanting new life experience only live once. Living in the UK, Oz and US - that’s one for the memory book!

Is there a way to pinpoint expats living in NC on this app, only joined today and very new to me.

thanks
Old Jan 6th 2020, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you get a trip out there to do a recce? Some times we get people moving to places and you think hmmmm, but nothing here seems illogical.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do you get a trip out there to do a recce? Some times we get people moving to places and you think hmmmm, but nothing here seems illogical.
I have spent sometime in Charlotte, Wilmington and Charleston for leisure purposes. I got married in Savannah, Georgia and overall it felt like a wonderful place. Sydney is very far away so it’s difficult to jump on a plane and see more. Plus as previous BE member said, all subject to Visa approval anyway.

From what I have seen Huntervsille, Davidson or Cornelius appeal to me. Near the lakes, suburban area with lovely homes, right side to head to mountains (realised I prefer hiking and mountains than beach!). Do you have any knowledge or North Charlotte?
Old Jan 6th 2020, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm not in NC, but Georgia seems similar in many ways. I'm trying not to offend - it is my choice to live in someone elses back yard after all, but for me there are at least two very distinct cultures in Georgia, maybe three. Big City way of life - not that much different to elsewhere in the world, it feels very different to outside a big city. On a personal level, being too far from one would be a problem for me. Once you get beyond the Burbs, it starts to get a bit, um, "different". The rural areas of the South East seem pretty unique to me, and not in a good way by and large. Yes you get the space, and yes, in the street everyone and their dogs are very nice, sickly nice. But it covers some very real differences in approach to life that I would have. I very rarely talk politics or religion around here and, as a visitor, bite my tongue a lot.

I chose to live in a smallish City near Atlanta, I get all the benefits I wanted - the weather, the freedom to explore the USA, facilities on my doorstep, easy access to the UK when I need it and so on. 10 miles more to the South of me and I'd have run back home by now I think.

What does all that tell you? Visit and judge the area against what you want out of life. Accept you are here as part of an experience, knowing you'll scratch your head some days. West Coast/NY it is not. That's half the fun though.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Rural GA and SC are great, very easy and laid back living.
On the H-1B front, you have about a yearly 1 in 4 chance of getting the visa through the lottery system, all else being good.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rhysdavies

Agree keeping options open is desirable. The downside to PR here is you lock in SUPER. Whereas it I don’t apply for PR I can receive a large lump of cash which will be helpful to invest in locations I see myself residing long term
I don't know just how large this lump sum would be, but to some extent you seem to be optimizing for the short term, but giving up a big long term benefit ... i.e. Australian citizenship.

I went through the whole process of applying for Oz citizenship before I moved to the USA. Unfortunately things were a bit delayed, and by the time I was called for the final interview I was already in the USA. I could have flown back, but the cost of the flight put me off. Looking back, this was one of my biggest mistakes. 40 years ago, now, but I still have regrets.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 6:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ex-Sheffield (a long time ago), now in NC - been here almost 17 years, and don't plan to leave, ever.

IMO Lake Norman is expensive, over-rated, and is party central in the summer.

Depending on where you need to commute to (is it actually up-town Charlotte? (Charlotte doesn't have a downtown )) there are better lakes to live near than LKN, if lakes are your thing.
Originally Posted by robtuck
I know I'm not in NC, but Georgia seems similar in many ways. I'm trying not to offend - it is my choice to live in someone elses back yard after all, but for me there are at least two very distinct cultures in Georgia, maybe three. Big City way of life - not that much different to elsewhere in the world, it feels very different to outside a big city. On a personal level, being too far from one would be a problem for me. Once you get beyond the Burbs, it starts to get a bit, um, "different". The rural areas of the South East seem pretty unique to me, and not in a good way by and large. Yes you get the space, and yes, in the street everyone and their dogs are very nice, sickly nice. But it covers some very real differences in approach to life that I would have. I very rarely talk politics or religion around here and, as a visitor, bite my tongue a lot. ....
I agree with the factual observations in this post, but not the conclusions. I live in a semi-rural area "the county", not a city, and I do so out of choice. I find everyone here to be friendly, and it is no more my business what they think than it is their business what I think. My neighbors include both ends of the political spectrum but I will admit that I filter my conversation to fit whoever I am talking to. In short, living in a rural area in NC has significant benefits for me, and few downsides, which is why I love it here.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 6th 2020 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try stew upon the questions and answer this evening. Very content with life in Charlotte (originally from South yorks).
Old Jan 6th 2020, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck
I know I'm not in NC, but Georgia seems similar in many ways. I'm trying not to offend - it is my choice to live in someone elses back yard after all, but for me there are at least two very distinct cultures in Georgia, maybe three. Big City way of life - not that much different to elsewhere in the world, it feels very different to outside a big city. On a personal level, being too far from one would be a problem for me. Once you get beyond the Burbs, it starts to get a bit, um, "different". The rural areas of the South East seem pretty unique to me, and not in a good way by and large. Yes you get the space, and yes, in the street everyone and their dogs are very nice, sickly nice. But it covers some very real differences in approach to life that I would have. I very rarely talk politics or religion around here and, as a visitor, bite my tongue a lot.

I chose to live in a smallish City near Atlanta, I get all the benefits I wanted - the weather, the freedom to explore the USA, facilities on my doorstep, easy access to the UK when I need it and so on. 10 miles more to the South of me and I'd have run back home by now I think.

What does all that tell you? Visit and judge the area against what you want out of life. Accept you are here as part of an experience, knowing you'll scratch your head some days. West Coast/NY it is not. That's half the fun though.
Thanks for the note re Georgia. The job offer is not here. I really liked Atlanta and especially the northern areas when I visited, watched falcons last game in the old Mercedes Benz stadium, I got married in Georgia so know what a great place it is. Interesting comments regarding proximity to a city. I really need that balance and don’t want to be too close to the city. Trams, buses, construction its been present for 4 years here in Sydney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.