Reload this Page >

UK Appliances to the US

UK Appliances to the US

Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

TransnationalElite is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Appliances to the US

Hi Folks,

So, been trying to sell off our big electrical goods like washing machine and air con. But I'm thinking about the kitchen appliances like blender, waffle iron, chopper, coffee machine and things like hair dryer (could work in shaver socket?), power drill, subwoofer, PS3, Amplifier, electric toothbrush (could work in shaver socket?), small home IPL device (could work in shaver socket?), perhaps even vacuum cleaner?

I was on this website: Voltage Converters - Power Inverter / Voltage Transformer Usage Chart and it seems like if you buy the appropriate coverter for the wattage (I think I read either on here or somewhere to go for 2x the consumption expected) I could run the devices without a problem.

My idea:

Get a converter for the kitchen - won't be using all the appliances at the same time so no overloading issue.
Get a converter for media setup
Possibly get an extra converter for misc usage eg drill/vacuum/other??

Couldn't find the thread discussing this topic (I know it exists as found it before)

Thoughts?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Appliances to the US

I suggest that you keep the dual voltage appliances (those with the little switch at the back to flip from 110v to 220) and sell / give away the others.

It's not worth the hassle and risk of running a converter. (Your insurance would probably not cover the usage of electrical appliances through a converter and it increases the risk of fire).

Budget for the replacement of the small electrical goods.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

There are many threads on this.

Basically, if you want to create a real fire risk, introduce a converter! Sell everything and buy new where. Using a converter is dangerous and absolutely not recommended, especially for items that have a high power drain like a vacuum cleaner or drill. Small appliances can be bought very cheaply here, depending on the quality. I've seen a lot of items like toasters, coffee machines, etc., for as low as $5 each on Black Friday at Walmart. As for your sub and amp, they are usually constantly powered, which is definitely a no-no as it's a major fire risk.

Proceed at your peril.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:16 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

As the other poster said, ditch the non dual voltage items. It's not worth the hassle of attempting to run them here. Plus, electrical items are _significantly_ cheaper in the US. It's often a case that their GBP RRP is simply changed to USD.

When I moved over I brought over a hairdryer (why, ihni) and my Miele vacuum (after I realised how expensive they are here). The vacuum was a pain really, as I had to lug a huge converter around with me. In the end, I gave in and paid 3x the cost that I would have done for a vacuum in John Lewis in a local Miele dealer here.

Everything else, just buy again.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:34 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's worth the hassle, we got rid of just about everything with a plug. We took our PS3 but needed a PAL to NTSC converter to use it which was never that great and hubby still has his beloved 'hi-fi' in a cupboard upstairs which will never work here, but he just can't let goooooo...

Look out for Bed, Bath & Beyond 20% off vouchers for your small kitchen appliances. I saved quite a bit on my kitchen aid stand mixer and liquidizer. We get one through the mail at least once a month.

Look at it as an excuse to go buy shiny things
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Would dual voltage items state so on the power information labels?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TransnationalElite
Yes. You would see 110/240v labelled.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, generally laptops, tablets, cell phones, game systems (PS3/4 or XBOX) are compatible. The power adapter usually shows the input voltage range.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I don't think it's worth the hassle, we got rid of just about everything with a plug. We took our PS3 but needed a PAL to NTSC converter to use it which was never that great and hubby still has his beloved 'hi-fi' in a cupboard upstairs which will never work here, but he just can't let goooooo...

Look out for Bed, Bath & Beyond 20% off vouchers for your small kitchen appliances. I saved quite a bit on my kitchen aid stand mixer and liquidizer. We get one through the mail at least once a month.
I think their 20% vouchers are a con.

1. They can't be used for anything of actual quality; check the list of vendors exempted from redemption.
2. Their prices are 20% higher from the start compared to Amazon, so you need the voucher just to ensure you're not getting ripped off.

re the PS3, not sure I understand your comment re the NTSC converter as any TV in the last 10 years has supported both PAL and NTSC signals.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
Yes, generally laptops, tablets, cell phones, game systems (PS3/4 or XBOX) are compatible. The power adapter usually shows the input voltage range.
Check your PS3 here:
http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply

re the Xbox, you will need to purchase a replacement PSU for it in the States. If you attempt to plug in your UK PSU it will die (read: blow up).
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike

Yes, those items have been checked. Our tele will also work on the US power supply. Hubs said the PS3 won't though.

@ChocolateBabz - I do not mind doing some shopping for shiny new things thats for sure Just don't want to be bothered with it I think as will have a lot going on. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:55 pm
Banned

Yes, those items have been checked. Our tele will also work on the US power supply. Hubs said the PS3 won't though.
What makes him say that, given all bar a very few specific models have dual voltage PSU's?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
What makes him say that, given all bar a very few specific models have dual voltage PSU's?
Don't know. Model No> CECH-2503A PS3 Slim

Works 220-240V 50/60HZ
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

From Wikipedia...

Universal power supply[edit]
The power supply can operate on both 60 Hz and 50 Hz power grids. It uses a standard IEC 60320 C14 (IEC 60320 C8 for the PS3 slim) connector and a C13 (C7 for the PS3 slim) power cord appropriate for the region it is being used in. The power supply on the "fat" model is 380 W. This was reduced to 250 W in the 120 GB "Slim" model. PS3 Slim models have labels indicating localized input requirements for power (110 V 60 Hz for North American and Japanese models and 220-240 V 50 Hz for European and Australian models), however teardowns have revealed the power supplies are still universal.[34]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.