Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK air passenger duty scandal

UK air passenger duty scandal

Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:15 pm
'mon the cowboys

texas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK air passenger duty scandal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6258327.stm

Seems that there will be an increase in the tax you need to pay when flying out of the UK. All because Gordon's got a bee in his bonnet about emissions from the aviation industry.

Scandalous!

This new tax does nothing to incentivise airlines to renew their fleets to reduce the impact of emissions. All it is is another passthrough charge which we, the paying public, need to pay to prop up UK plc.
Some (most) airlines are passing on the charge, some are absorbing it
(good old BA), and others are undecided.

The galling thing is that if you booked a flight months in advance, you may need to pay the difference created by this new tax at the departure gate.

The fantastic company that is Ryanair says it will not let anyone fly if they have not paid the extra by midnight on the day before they travel! Easyjet says it has emailed its customers asking them to pay before Monday 15 January. That'll make them even more popular!

Just another reason I'm glad I f00ked off from the UK, it's just a pity we've got relatives back there that we need to visit.

C
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:42 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK air passenger duty scandal

Thank god we fly out on the 31st of Jan....

Just looked AT our flight paper work and we have paid £116.00 UK DEPAERTURE TAX... That would be another £116.00 they would be looking for..:scared: less than two weeks before we go....never thought I would say this thank god i`m bloody leaving the leeches....
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Thank you all you morons that voted labour!!!!

"Things....can only get better"
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:07 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can read on the website, we should be OK as we're travelling with BA when we visit Blighty in April. But still....

Nice one Gordon