British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Adult Nursing Student wanting to work as RN in NY eventually (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-adult-nursing-student-wanting-work-rn-ny-eventually-936054/)

Kelv Dec 10th 2020 6:59 pm

UK Adult Nursing Student wanting to work as RN in NY eventually

I am starting adult nursing here in the UK and wanted to know if I could become an RN in NY. I am a dual citizen both British & American, I have family living In NY. I came to UK to study nursing and be with my family here. I know I'm going to live in NY eventually. I've seen other posts saying different things about requirements, so just for my own clarification it would help to get some if possible. Thanks in advance.

ddsrph Dec 10th 2020 7:25 pm

Re: UK Adult Nursing Student wanting to work as RN in NY eventually

Originally Posted by Kelv (Post 12944884)
I am starting adult nursing here in the UK and wanted to know if I could become an RN in NY. I am a dual citizen both British & American, I have family living In NY. I came to UK to study nursing and be with my family here. I know I'm going to live in NY eventually. I've seen other posts saying different things about requirements, so just for my own clarification it would help to get some if possible. Thanks in advance.

There are many threads on this subject but in general nurse training in UK is limited to one area such as adult with no pediatric for example. In US more generalized requiring UK nurses coming here to get more training. I would recommend just taking basic science college classes in UK then transferring to NY for the nursing portion. I have wondered if the training structure in UK is designed to prevent UK nurses from leaving to other countries.

Kelv Dec 10th 2020 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 12944893)
There are many threads on this subject but in general nurse training in UK is limited to one area such as adult with no pediatric for example. In US more generalized requiring UK nurses coming here to get more training. I would recommend just taking basic science college classes in UK then transferring to NY for the nursing portion. I have wondered if the training structure in UK is designed to prevent UK nurses from leaving to other countries.

I actually was accepted to a nursing program at farmingdale uni for this year September but moved here for personal reasons. can I not work as a nurse in any fashion in NY? LPN anything like that?

SanDiegogirl Dec 10th 2020 8:03 pm

As a US citizen nothing at all to stop you working in NY as a nurse - as long as you have t he necessary qualifications the State/county/City requires.
Based on what it is you want to do in NY you should research the qualifications needed.

Kelv Dec 10th 2020 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12944907)
As a US citizen nothing at all to stop you working in NY as a nurse - as long as you have t he necessary qualifications the State/county/City requires.
Based on what it is you want to do in NY you should research the qualifications needed.

I want to be an RN in NY and currently studying adult nursing in the UK right now

SanDiegogirl Dec 10th 2020 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kelv (Post 12944909)
I want to be an RN in NY and currently studying adult nursing in the UK right now

So research what qualifications you need to become an RN in NY.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nursingrn.htm#

Silverdragon102 Dec 10th 2020 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kelv (Post 12944909)

To work as a LPN or RN in NY you have to meet the state requirements and only they can decide once they review your transcripts once you have graduated. Some UK nurses have been given permission to sit NCLEX when short of certain hours however it will not guarantee that you meet requirements in another state if you should decide to move.

civilservant Dec 11th 2020 11:53 am

Your UK qualifications will have no direct bearing on your ability to work in the US (no matter the state, really)

You will need to see what further study or practical experience you need to receive a State certification based on the state in question. The changes of you having to do significant retraining are high, but it's the price you pay. You may want to consider waiting to begin schooling until you return to the US.

Scott33 Dec 11th 2020 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kelv (Post 12944899)
I actually was accepted to a nursing program at farmingdale uni for this year September but moved here for personal reasons. can I not work as a nurse in any fashion in NY? LPN anything like that?

No. Not yet at least.

Your UK qualifications are not transferable for the reasons already given. The US don't have separate RN degrees for adult / paeds / MH / learning disabilities. It's all packed (arguably, summarized) into one "RN". Learning the meat and potatoes of the particular role you wish to pursue is generally done on-the-job. There is no reason to think that you couldn't get a job as a nurse's aid / PCA / tech etc, but ultimately, if you are unwilling or unable to attend a US university, the top-up hours (theory and clinical) for the non-adult areas of your UK degree may take some time.

Also be aware that NY is increasingly mandating the BSN as an entry-level degree.

Lanyu Dec 17th 2020 9:53 pm

Once you have obtained your UK RN licence then you would need to apply to NY BON, they will more than likely require you to go through CGFNS to evaluate your course syllabus to see how it compares to US RN if all is good you will need to sit the NCLEX if not education top up.

Kelv Dec 17th 2020 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Scott33 (Post 12945324)
No. Not yet at least.

Your UK qualifications are not transferable for the reasons already given. The US don't have separate RN degrees for adult / paeds / MH / learning disabilities. It's all packed (arguably, summarized) into one "RN". Learning the meat and potatoes of the particular role you wish to pursue is generally done on-the-job. There is no reason to think that you couldn't get a job as a nurse's aid / PCA / tech etc, but ultimately, if you are unwilling or unable to attend a US university, the top-up hours (theory and clinical) for the non-adult areas of your UK degree may take some time.

Also be aware that NY is increasingly mandating the BSN as an entry-level degree.

Thanks for letting me know, i am going to do the adult nursing course here and take specific modules in the child and mental health courses so that i have theory and clinical experience in those too. Though i will just assume that i will be doing additional hours once i come back to NY. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Kelv Dec 17th 2020 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lanyu (Post 12947393)
Once you have obtained your UK RN licence then you would need to apply to NY BON, they will more than likely require you to go through CGFNS to evaluate your course syllabus to see how it compares to US RN if all is good you will need to sit the NCLEX if not education top up.

Thank you for replying, i am going to look up what BON and CGFNS is. But i appreciate it, it gives me some insight in what to expect.

Silverdragon102 Dec 18th 2020 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kelv (Post 12947398)
Thank you for replying, i am going to look up what BON and CGFNS is. But i appreciate it, it gives me some insight in what to expect.

BON =Board of Nursing. CGFNS is a company that mists states use to evaluate your nursing transcripts. If your university allows you to do clinical and theory hours in Paeds and mental health then you are lucky. You still have obstetrics to cover. I believe New York have 2 ways a international nurse can go through but you would need to check out the BON website

penguinsix Dec 20th 2020 10:27 pm

Slight spin off—have things like nursing qualification recognition been part of US/UK trade talks (I.e. chlorinated chicken talks)? Was wondering is some harmonized recognition standards are on the table.