British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK actor wants to move to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-actor-wants-move-us-109488/)

emotionboy Jul 15th 2002 3:44 pm

UK actor wants to move to US

Here's the thing!

I'm an unknown UK actor. I would like to audition in LA. I've heard of instances where if I was what the TV/Movie studio were looking for, they'd find a way for me to work for them.

To survive in LA and be able to spend time there so I can audition, I need a job. To get a job I need the appropriate visa, however I can't find the appropriate job sponsor in my field.

I have a Btec First in Performing Arts, a Btec National in Performing Arts, and a HND in Performing Arts.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Ingo Pakleppa Jul 16th 2002 6:20 am

Re: UK actor wants to move to US

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:20:17 -0700, emotionboy wrote:

> Here's the thing!
    >
    > I'm an unknown UK actor. I would like to audition in LA. I've heard of instances
    > where if I was what the TV/Movie studio were looking for, they'd find a way for me
    > to work for them.
    >
    > To survive in LA and be able to spend time there so I can audition, I need a job.
    > To get a job I need the appropriate visa, however I can't find the appropriate job
    > sponsor in my field.
    >
    > I have a Btec First in Performing Arts, a Btec National in Performing Arts, and a
    > HND in Performing Arts.
    >
    > Does anybody have any suggestions?
    >

I don't know what kind of degree Btec or HND are. The first thing you are going to
need is a four-year degree. This would be different if you were an internationally
renowned actor.

That said, do keep in mind that you won't be the only unknown actor in
LA. Did you ever hear the 1960's song "It never rains in Southern California"? The
next line is, "but man, it pours!" That song actually is about how hard life is
in LA for an unknown actor, even being American.

For every unknown Matthew Perry or Jennifer Aniston, there are thousands of unknown
John and Jane Smith whose acting resume includes ten years of smiling at customers at
Pizza restaurants, or, if they are lucky, they may land radio commercials for the
latest brand of soap.

I don't want to tell you "forget your dreams" because dreams are important in life.
But I do want to tell you that you will face an uphill battle. I had a similar dream
when I was young, younger than you are now. It paid off - but, all in all, it took
close to twenty years to realize
LB. And I am working in a high-demand profession, software engineering. If you are
still willing to follow your dream, by all means do it.

The first challenge you will face is finding an appropriate visa. One option might be
for you to enroll in a university and study acting here, even though you have your
degree already.

That will have two advantages: first, it gives you a status that allows you to be in
the US near the place where you need to be, and even comes with a limited permission
to work. You absolutely must study full-time, though. And second, it will greatly
increase your chances of meeting the right people who can help you. You can use every
advantage you can get, so this may well be a good place to start.

Ingo