British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ughhhh - Lack of credit reporting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ughhhh-lack-credit-reporting-681573/)

Moonshadow_Girl Aug 17th 2010 11:54 am

Ughhhh - Lack of credit reporting

I've done a Search and haven't managed to find a similar issue. Having used this fine forum, the DH (UKC) and I have followed many suggestions regarding building his credit.

We recently met with a lender to see about the state of our finances and credit to get the ball rolling on a pre-approved mortgage. When the lender wasn't able to pull any report on DH, they referred us to a credit counselor, who in turn, referred us to our Credit Union.

When DH first arrived, within 4 months we opened a secured card through our Credit Union in my name and added him as an authorized user (I hadn't had a credit card at that time, good idea for both of us). After almost two years, we applied as joint owners of an unsecured card with our Credit Union and promptly closed the secured card.

Ironically, this is the exact advice that the credit counselor gave us last month. When we explained what we had done already, he suggested we get in touch with our Credit Union and find out why they haven't been reporting his actions to the 3 credit bureaus.

When we talked to the powers that be at the CU, they said that everything should have been reporting. They suggested that the problem was not at their level it could be related to his social security number and that we should contact Social Security.

Arrgghhh... We were playing the rules (in fact, my scores can't get much higher-I benefited from the forum advice!-according to the credit counseling people), yet we still haven't moved from square one for my DH.

Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? Do we really need to make a trip to Social Security? Ughhh We have jointly filed taxes each year DH has been here, even when he wasn't working. Luckily, DH has been gainfully employed 10 months now, but still, I'd hate to think we're going to have to wait another 2 years to build up credit he should have had.

seawaternow Aug 17th 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Ughhhh - Lack of credit reporting

When I first moved to the US (hubby is USC, now me too), we got a new car jointly so that showed up on both our credit reports. Once I got a job 2 months later I opened a Macy's store card and a GAP card and that was reported as well. Then the bank offered me an unsecured credit card which I took. I also got a cell phone plan under my name for my sister - also reported.

Does your husband have any bills, credit cards under his name only - that's what's reported to credit bureaus.

Edited to add: I just pulled my credit report and see a new cc that my husband opened and put me down as authorized user. If the card is showing in your credit report, but not in his, I'd go back to CU and see what can be done about it. Most likely it's a problem at their level and not SSA level if all his other account have been reporting.

Duncan Roberts Aug 17th 2010 2:36 pm

Have you looked at his credit report for all three bureaus? www.annualcreditreport.com

fatbrit Aug 17th 2010 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl (Post 8782809)
I've done a Search and haven't managed to find a similar issue. Having used this fine forum, the DH (UKC) and I have followed many suggestions regarding building his credit.

We recently met with a lender to see about the state of our finances and credit to get the ball rolling on a pre-approved mortgage. When the lender wasn't able to pull any report on DH, they referred us to a credit counselor, who in turn, referred us to our Credit Union.

When DH first arrived, within 4 months we opened a secured card through our Credit Union in my name and added him as an authorized user (I hadn't had a credit card at that time, good idea for both of us). After almost two years, we applied as joint owners of an unsecured card with our Credit Union and promptly closed the secured card.

Ironically, this is the exact advice that the credit counselor gave us last month. When we explained what we had done already, he suggested we get in touch with our Credit Union and find out why they haven't been reporting his actions to the 3 credit bureaus.

When we talked to the powers that be at the CU, they said that everything should have been reporting. They suggested that the problem was not at their level it could be related to his social security number and that we should contact Social Security.

Arrgghhh... We were playing the rules (in fact, my scores can't get much higher-I benefited from the forum advice!-according to the credit counseling people), yet we still haven't moved from square one for my DH.

Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? Do we really need to make a trip to Social Security? Ughhh We have jointly filed taxes each year DH has been here, even when he wasn't working. Luckily, DH has been gainfully employed 10 months now, but still, I'd hate to think we're going to have to wait another 2 years to build up credit he should have had.

The lack of reporting issue is something that's going to take leg and phone work to sort. Somebody in the CU will know how to solve it, but they will be stuck in an admin office miles away from your branch. Your task is to get to that person and get them to help you.

But the real reason for my reply is that you seem to suggest you only have one revolving credit line on your score. If so, this is going to be another hurdle to your mortgage approval. It's really best to have a few under-utilized and mixed lines under your name.

Moonshadow_Girl Aug 17th 2010 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8783142)
Have you looked at his credit report for all three bureaus? www.annualcreditreport.com

Thanks, but the finance guy attempted to get reports for DH, but nothing, nothing at all was linked to his ssn, so no reports were available.

Moonshadow_Girl Aug 17th 2010 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 8783160)
The lack of reporting issue is something that's going to take leg and phone work to sort. Somebody in the CU will know how to solve it, but they will be stuck in an admin office miles away from your branch. Your task is to get to that person and get them to help you.

Unfortunately, it was the CU Credit Manager who said that the problem was "greater" than them. That we needed to talk to Social Security, which is why I'm at a loss, what can Social Security do for DH's credit reporting?

But the real reason for my reply is that you seem to suggest you only have one revolving credit line on your score. If so, this is going to be another hurdle to your mortgage approval. It's really best to have a few under-utilized and mixed lines under your name.
Thanks, we'll take that under advisement. We may just have to have him open his own secured card. I hate doing that again, because it means we'll have to tie up money again and we'll have to do the waiting game all over again. *sigh*

AdobePinon Aug 18th 2010 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl (Post 8784005)
Thanks, but the finance guy attempted to get reports for DH, but nothing, nothing at all was linked to his ssn, so no reports were available.

Check anyway. It's free. If you can't get anything, then go back to the CU and demand to know who's SSN they've been filing under, as it's probably their screwup at that point.

Michael Aug 18th 2010 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl (Post 8784012)
Unfortunately, it was the CU Credit Manager who said that the problem was "greater" than them. That we needed to talk to Social Security, which is why I'm at a loss, what can Social Security do for DH's credit reporting?

Social security can't do anything. They aren't even involved. It doesn't even matter if the social security number is made up since that will be the number that the credit bureaus use to report information about you.

It appears that the CU screwed up by reporting the information on the wrong social security number or forgot to report the information but don't want to be bothered to fix the problem. If your social security number doesn't show up in the credit bureau (usually creates a record when the first credit is reported using that social security number), you can request the credit bureau to search by your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, etc. to see which social security number it is attached to. Credit bureaus often get credit reporting information about a person without a social security number included and they add it to the correct social security record by matching the name and address. This usually happens when they search public records monthly looking for judgments against individuals which seldom has the social security number included in the judgment. Even when I added my sons as authorized users of my credit card, I don't believe I give the credit card company their social security numbers but the credit history for that card showed up on their credit report. It is also one of the reasons why information can be reported against the wrong person.

Duncan Roberts Aug 18th 2010 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl (Post 8784005)

But have YOU tried to do it? Are you 100% sure the finance guy typed in the right number?

Moonshadow_Girl Aug 18th 2010 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8784786)
Social security can't do anything. They aren't even involved. It doesn't even matter if the social security number is made up since that will be the number that the credit bureaus use to report information about you.

It appears that the CU screwed up by reporting the information on the wrong social security number or forgot to report the information but don't want to be bothered to fix the problem. If your social security number doesn't show up in the credit bureau (usually creates a record when the first credit is reported using that social security number), you can request the credit bureau to search by your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, etc. to see which social security number it is attached to. Credit bureaus often get credit reporting information about a person without a social security number included and they add it to the correct social security record by matching the name and address. This usually happens when they search public records monthly looking for judgments against individuals which seldom has the social security number included in the judgment. Even when I added my sons as authorized users of my credit card, I don't believe I give the credit card company their social security numbers but the credit history for that card showed up on their credit report. It is also one of the reasons why information can be reported against the wrong person.

Yeah, when the Credit Manager told me to check with Social Security, I know that just didn't sound right. I'll have the finance guy resubmit the info for DH's report.

Moonshadow_Girl Aug 18th 2010 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8785216)
But have YOU tried to do it? Are you 100% sure the finance guy typed in the right number?

You're right, I don't know what the finance guy typed in, and we haven't tried it ourselves. One guess as to what I'll be doing the rest of the week.

Thanks to everyone. I'll update what I learn for future searches. :)