Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.S Banks seem like sharks.

U.S Banks seem like sharks.

Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:56 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S Banks seem like sharks.

Originally Posted by Franklin
I can recommend the Credit Unions, if the OP can get an account with a Credit Union he/she will be cooking, imho. I don't know if Credit Unions do business accounts, if they do ... give them a shout. In my experience Credit Unions offer excellent services for personal a/c holders. I have always found them to be very courteous and very up front about everything. Most scrumptious service, imho.

Not sure if they do business accounts or not - we didn't check with ours - we have a Credit Union account (Membersource) from one of my wifes previous jobs, and its OK, but nothing to write home about - no fees, but mediocre telephone service and online facility, and some of THE most confusing statements I've ever seen. But one of the main problems with it is that the closest branch is a long way away - i guess if they had one round the corner it may make a difference. But worth checking out the local ones, particularly if the banks are ripping your face off!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:19 am
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Yorkieabroad]Take a look at Wells Fargo if they are near you - we have our personal and business accounts with them, and they're not bad (nowhere near as good as our UK bank, but by local comparison, pretty decent).

Yorkieabroad - strangely enough I had found the Wells Fartgo account earlier this evening, and it did appear to be a reasonable offer - i.e: basically a straight honest deal - no frills attached. So I'll be seriously considering that. (i.e: rather than a deliberately, and elaborately, designed scam).

Also - Thank you everyone who has contributed so far, - my humblest gratitude for your time.

Also ...- Manc - You're a Twat.

Cheers,

Bumpkin
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin

Also - Thank you everyone who has contributed so far, - my humblest gratitude for your time.

you've obviously missed all the fun with earwig then and the florida greatness...
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:53 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Yet you are the one who cant do research into business accounts before you open one, strange that!

The key to living in the US is research, before you do anything, buy a car, open an account actually do about anything you have to research it or they will screw you into the ground - its all about the mighty buck her and how much they can get out of you!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: U.S Banks seem like sharks.

Imho, the USA is the greatest country to start a successful business in. Yes sure there is lots of bureaucracy to deal with, but I suspect there are just as many business regulations and hurdles in the UK. Also, the UK banks really rip you off on interest rates, the interest rate here on loans is typically far less than UK bank interest rates.

I have news for you:

http://www.thebritishmidlands.com/br...siness--2.html

Hong Kong is the place which has the least bureacracy and regulations for running a business....with just 15% income tax to boot, but the cost of property rental is very high.

Last edited by Englishmum; Apr 17th 2005 at 2:36 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:18 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Patrick]Yet you are the one who cant do research into business accounts before you open one, strange that!
QUOTE]

Never said I hadnt done any research... It just helps to gather as many valid opinions as possible before making a decision. Asking a question on this forum is all part of that research...

Thank you.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:24 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Originally Posted by Bob
you've obviously missed all the fun with earwig then and the florida greatness...

Hey - looks like I did miss something subtle about Mancs comment. Manc - I hereby remove from you the honorary title of 'Twat' .

Thank you.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:48 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I have news for you:

http://www.thebritishmidlands.com/br...siness--2.html

Hong Kong is the place which has the least bureacracy and regulations for running a business....with just 15% income tax to boot, but the cost of property rental is very high.
OK, go to the next post ... anorak time ... don’t say I didn’t warn you … go to the next post.

I didn't know Hong Kong is a country ... isn't it part of China? China, the country that is ripping off intellectual property (IP) at a fair lick? Western hi-tech companies are having their arms twisted to hand over IP to get the nod and wink from the Chinese authorities to set up businesses in China … sorry, but China is acting shamelessly and the only people acting more shamelessly are the idiots who let them get away with it. Don’t you see what is happening? China is offering “deals” to western companies to get their hands on western IP. Recently this came to the public’s attention in the Chinese grab for Rover’s IP assets (re: UK Rover fiasco), so the IP grab broke cover, but it is going on at an alarming rate. China (and now India) sees the importance of IP … and are going for it in a very organized fashion, willing to make “deals” and offer seemingly low taxes on profits … they want the IP. The IP is more important than anything because access to IP means they can leap frog ahead.

So China is boxing clever, they are engaged in several IP grabs. They broke cover with regard to Rover. See, e.g., Chinese state owned Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp (SAIC) is believed to have paid Rover £67m last year in return for the intellectual property rights to Rover's K series engine and Rover 25 model. It plans to manufacture these in China … so the Chinese government has bought the IP rights to Rover’s technology hence why they don’t need Rover to build Rovers! Hence why Rover’s factories have shut down. Why thousands of Rover employees are without jobs. Rover management failed to understand the tactics of the Chinese government, and the UK government did NOTHING to stop what was happening. The Chinese government is spending hundreds of millions to leap-frog its automobile industry. Once Rover is in liquidation the Chinese could buy the Rover manufacturing plant for a song (given that the plant is geared to produce Rover cars, cars that no one else can make given that Rover IP is now in the hands of SAIC) and SAIC ship it back to China to make Rover type automobiles … they have Rover’s IP locked up.

So it seems that the report you refer to is somewhat out of date or has glossed over the trends in, e.g., the automotive and pharmaceutical sectors. For example, that report stated: "From an industry perspective the UK was competitive across a number of sectors, especially aerospace, automotive, telecommunications and pharmaceuticals." Well … we know for a fact that UK Rover has just gone to the wall. Also, the UK automotive supply industry has just taken a HUGE whack, the UK government is giving the supply industry money ( Rover suppliers receive payouts) to help it get back on its feet, but there are going to be serious layoffs in the UK automotive supply industry.

Meanwhile, the USA has several big things going for it: the spirit to do business, and a dependable legal system. Those that set up businesses in the USA can be confident that, for example, a Federal Judge is unlikely to be persuaded by bribes or threats. The USA has very strong foundations that provide confidence both to home grown businesses, new businesses, about-to-start businesses, inward foreign investment, etc. From my perspective, the USA is the greatest country in the world to start up a business, and I stand by that.

Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:52 pm
Franklin

Hey - looks like I did miss something subtle about Mancs comment. Manc - I hereby remove from you the honorary title of 'Twat' .

Thank you.

Manc might be many things, but yes you are right, he is no twat! Karma to you buddy for recognizing that!

Old Apr 17th 2005, 6:02 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I think what most people who come from England dont realise is that in most states it is still Buyer Beware. Where as in England there is a lot of consumer protection. Banks have Ombudsman and watchdogs in the UK, in the USA they are self governed, try and find a complaints department with your US mortgage lender (aint gonna happen).
Old Apr 17th 2005, 6:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile, the USA has several big things going for it: the spirit to do business, and a dependable legal system. Those that set up businesses in the USA can be confident that, for example, a Federal Judge is unlikely to be persuaded by bribes or threats. The USA has very strong foundations that provide confidence both to home grown businesses, new businesses, about-to-start businesses, inward foreign investment, etc. From my perspective, the USA is the greatest country in the world to start up a business, and I stand by that.
You're a good few years out of date. The US currently really only has a few things going for it currently: a large market, plenty of natural resources and low interest rates. Unless you hadn't noticed, all the smart money is going elsewhere in the world, hence the sinking dollar.

I agree the legal system is reasonably fair; pity that it's so freakin' inefficient, costly and slow. The power of the lobbies for the big corporations is obscene and this kills small business. Try doing business with Wally World as a small business and see who wins. If you really have a death wish, try taking them to court for a contract infringement!

Mix that in with a population that is fast becoming illiterate, an infrastructure that has had little investment for a long, long time, and a society that is unable to accept change but rather seems content to rest on its past won laurels: the outlook ain't rosy!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
no worries, I was only having the crack, and besides I've been called worse.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

The key is to push, push and push some more for free everything. Got a b/account for a new biz venture this week, and they weren't prepared to budge on fees, till we said..fine, we'll go down the road....suddenly, their world was our oyster. (Might have something to do with the fact we have banked there for nearly a decade, but you can always try).

Banks are duking it out for customers (where I live anyway), so do some aggressive shopping around.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:28 pm
Displaced Canadian

Amywen is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is a banker here in the US, so this thread made me smile

He has to explain the US banking system to me a lot. I had some issues with the whole deal of being able to run a bank card as a debit or credit... which are two entirely different things in Canada. I was also used to debit transactions being entirely free, so every transaction I did in the US I put in a PIN number... he explained that one to me once he showed me the usage charges on our joint account. Oops!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:45 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amywen
I was also used to debit transactions being entirely free, so every transaction I did in the US I put in a PIN number... he explained that one to me once he showed me the usage charges on our joint account. Oops!
Who the hell charges for debit transactions? Visa or whoever takes their cut out of the purchase price (except for cash withdrawals).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.