Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.S. Bank Account

U.S. Bank Account

Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:05 pm
Irene Ireny

Default U.S. Bank Account

After I enter U.S with a fiancee visa, can I open a bank account right
a way? Or, can my fiancee open an account now for me with his name?

Thanks

Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. Bank Account

Originally Posted by Irene Ireny
After I enter U.S with a fiancee visa, can I open a bank account right a way? Or, can my fiancee open an account now for me with his name Thanks
You need to be here to open a bank account ....
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:00 pm
Martijn

Some banks will require you having a SSN, others won't. I got a Chase
bank account without having a SSN.

Old Jul 8th 2006, 2:14 pm
Lagomorpheus

Hi Irene,
When my husband moved here, he was able to open an account with Wells
Fargo without an SSN. He just had to show his visa I think. It is
something you need to do in person.

I also like Bank of America, but I don't know about their rules for
opening accounts.

Marie

[email protected] wrote:
    > After I enter U.S with a fiancee visa, can I open a bank account right
    > a way? Or, can my fiancee open an account now for me with his name?
    >
    > Thanks

Old Jul 8th 2006, 2:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

After I enter U.S with a fiancee visa, can I open a bank account right
a way? Or, can my fiancee open an account now for me with his name?

Thanks
Once my fiance was in the USA, we had no problem adding his name to my existing checking account, and also opening his own separate checking account, at Wells Fargo. This was before we were married and before he had a SSN.

I know people that have added their spouse to an existing bank account while the spouse was still overseas. Not sure if that applies only to a spouse, or if a fiance is able to do that also. Have your USC fiance ask at his bank if he can add your name to his existing account now.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martijn
Some banks will require you having a SSN, others won't. I got a Chase
bank account without having a SSN.

On a personal note: Please don't recommend Chase to anyone. I have found them to be the most unscrupulous financial institute in the country. Bank of New York comes in a second in New York City.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:04 pm
Irene Ireny

How about in Atlanta, Georgia?? Any good recommendation??

Rete wrote:
    > > Some banks will require you having a SSN, others won't. I got a Chase
    > > bank account without having a SSN.
    > On a personal note: Please don't recommend Chase to anyone. I have
    > found them to be the most unscrupulous financial institute in the
    > country. Bank of New York comes in a second in New York City.
    > --
    > I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 9th 2006, 3:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

How about in Atlanta, Georgia?? Any good recommendation??
WACHOVIA......

http://www.wachovia.com/
Old Jul 9th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

jasonabc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ray
You need to be here to open a bank account ....
Not true. I opened my US bank account whilst still living in the UK - before I got my K1.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 5:07 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by jasonabc
Not true. I opened my US bank account whilst still living in the UK - before I got my K1.
If you did it was a breach of the Patriot Act ...... I am amazed that a US bank would chance it ... was it one of the big boys ..
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:07 pm

The patriot act doesn't require in person presence to open an account.

It does require verifiabe ID.

Most large banks allow one to open an account online, and they have to
supply a US driving license number - but even without a US driving
license, one may still open an account online, and would have to send
copies of passport/visa to the bank by mail

Ray wrote:
    > > Not true. I opened my US bank account whilst still living in the UK -
    > > before I got my K1.
    > If you did it was a breach of the Patriot Act ...... I am amazed that a
    > US bank would chance it ... was it one of the big boys ..
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:43 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by jasonabc
Not quite you didn't ..you already had an account with that bank in the UK .therefore just extended it ..they already had evidence of your ID
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:45 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by [email protected]
The patriot act doesn't require in person presence to open an account.
It does require verifiabe ID.Most large banks allow one to open an account online, and they have tosupply a US driving license number - but even without a US drivinglicense, one may still open an account online, and would have to sendcopies of passport/visa to the bank by mail]
No banks in my state will ... anyway posting passport and details is no great proof of who that person is ..unless they are in front of you ..
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:54 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a bit of advice, over here they print your address on your checks. That is worth bearing in mind if you plan on moving any time soon. I ordered 150 not realizing this fact, a month before we moved to our new house.
I've never had any problems with Bank of America, I only used them as my wife and her father both banked with them. I thought all banks here charged for check books, they don't. Also I since discovered you don't have to use your bank to order your check books, lots of other companies will print them for you, and save you money. Some banks offer free check books. Not all banks require a SSN, but you should update them once you get yours. Most banks allow you to build a credit rating by taking a secured Visa card - this involves paying a sum in to a special account, the amount you pay in forms your credit card spending limit. The money sits in this account until you close it. ie you still pay your monthly credit card bill. As a good rule of thumb for quickly building good credit, try not to exceed half your limit each month and pay the balance in full when you get the bill. I use mine just for gas and meals out. Using my debit card for everything else.

After I enter U.S with a fiancee visa, can I open a bank account right a way? Or, can my fiancee open an account now for me with his name?
Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Pls note they will only print what you tell them to print. If you don't want your address on the checks, it will not be on it. I include our phone number on ours.

There are only three banks in the US that I will never deal with again: Chase, Bank of America and The Bank of New York. I found all three of them to be unscrupulous, greedy and unethical financial institutions. This is my personal opinions and of course, is only of importance to me.

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Just a bit of advice, over here they print your address on your checks. That is worth bearing in mind if you plan on moving any time soon. I ordered 150 not realizing this fact, a month before we moved to our new house.
I've never had any problems with Bank of America, I only used them as my wife and her father both banked with them. I thought all banks here charged for check books, they don't. Also I since discovered you don't have to use your bank to order your check books, lots of other companies will print them for you, and save you money. Some banks offer free check books. Not all banks require a SSN, but you should update them once you get yours. Most banks allow you to build a credit rating by taking a secured Visa card - this involves paying a sum in to a special account, the amount you pay in forms your credit card spending limit. The money sits in this account until you close it. ie you still pay your monthly credit card bill. As a good rule of thumb for quickly building good credit, try not to exceed half your limit each month and pay the balance in full when you get the bill. I use mine just for gas and meals out. Using my debit card for everything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.