Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.S. appreciation thread

U.S. appreciation thread

Old Jun 14th 2003, 9:41 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Romania
Posts: 27
Cocolina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U.S. appreciation thread

Hello ! Well ..I visited U.S twice , both times on a J1 visa ..and boy, I so like it..it's the place where you can really be yourself...Where I am now people will judge you for the smalest things ( not that I care anymore ) , they'll judge you for the way you look ...if you put a little weight on you , they won't call you fat ...they won't tell you you are short and how you changed since they last saw you ...people there will accept you for what you are ...I worked as a hostess in a casino ( I'm a student in Romania ) ..here , in my country if you don't have a job in the bank , as a doctor or if you don't study Law ( bad luck coz I always liked Psychology ) you aren't good enough...there they won't care you are a weitress ( here it's just ashame to have that job ) or a dishwasher , they'll just like you for what you are ...Honestly , people are more open-minded and will accept you for what you are and that it's your brain you think with and not the 2 kilos you have more on you ( not my case , just a point )I used to not really like my look ..but my experience there made my stronger and gave me the confidence . Does this make sense to you at all ?
Then ..they'll say there is nothing to visit in U.S. ..that's another big bs ...there are so many beautiful places ( I like CA the best ) . Maybe they are blind or something...
Even the food is good ..it's true you have to look at what you eat ..and it's not always healthy ...but that's everywhere .
Another thing I like...man , the country is huge...in New York is the greatest ...you walk on the street, so many people ..no matter how depressed you are after a walk you'll feel much better for sure ...large spaces ...big malls..u don't even have time to get bored . I really like it there ... I hope I'll be able to return .

This is how I feel ...I don't know how things are when you stay there all the time ...but for me it was a great experience .
Cocolina is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2003, 12:46 pm
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,933
Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: U.S. appreciation thread

Originally posted by Cocolina
Hello ! Well ..I visited U.S twice , both times on a J1 visa ..and boy, I so like it..it's the place where you can really be yourself...Where I am now people will judge you for the smalest things ( not that I care anymore ) , they'll judge you for the way you look ...if you put a little weight on you , they won't call you fat ...they won't tell you you are short and how you changed since they last saw you ...people there will accept you for what you are ...I worked as a hostess in a casino ( I'm a student in Romania ) ..here , in my country if you don't have a job in the bank , as a doctor or if you don't study Law ( bad luck coz I always liked Psychology ) you aren't good enough...there they won't care you are a weitress ( here it's just ashame to have that job ) or a dishwasher , they'll just like you for what you are ...Honestly , people are more open-minded and will accept you for what you are and that it's your brain you think with and not the 2 kilos you have more on you ( not my case , just a point )I used to not really like my look ..but my experience there made my stronger and gave me the confidence . Does this make sense to you at all ?
It's exactly the same when you live here. People just accept you. You always measure up. How much better can that get??

Last edited by Ranjini; Jun 14th 2003 at 2:54 pm.
Ranjini is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2003, 3:11 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Romania
Posts: 27
Cocolina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Hi...What do you mean by that ? The measure up thing ? I'm alright with my weight , if that's what you meant . That was just an example .
And yes, people there are cool . I'm glad you are with me with this one .
Cocolina is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2003, 3:52 pm
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,933
Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally posted by Cocolina
Hi...What do you mean by that ? The measure up thing ? I'm alright with my weight , if that's what you meant . That was just an example .
And yes, people there are cool . I'm glad you are with me with this one .
Lol Good to know you're alright with your weight Because that's something you really need to watch over here, I think it's the food I was just kidding.
Measure up -- according to my Concise Oxford Dictionary, "have the necessary qualifications for". I was kind of using it in a colloquial sense. You "don't have to measure up" -- you don't have to feel you have to keep up with anyone. You can just be yourself etc. Get it? I hope so Nothing to do with your weight. Lol.
Yes, I'm with you on your post. You are absolutely right IMHO

Last edited by Ranjini; Jun 14th 2003 at 4:03 pm.
Ranjini is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2003, 5:15 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Jabba1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 808
Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Well, I appreciate the US. Of course, I was born here, so I guess that makes my opinion a bit jaded.
Jabba1 is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2003, 7:21 pm
  #6  
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,933
Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally posted by Jabba1
Well, I appreciate the US. Of course, I was born here, so I guess that makes my opinion a bit jaded.
Not in the least. You have every right to appreciate the country you were born in. There's no place like home, no matter where
Ranjini is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.