British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Which tyres? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tyres-796347/)

Bob May 7th 2013 11:55 pm

Re: Which tyres?

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10697159)
Funnily enough I am sitting here taking a break from tire shopping and making calls, some of them are thieving bastards ie the well known folk, Costco came out the most expensive which was a shocker, I have been quoted anything from $400 to $781 for 4 tires, yes I am aware that a known brand is more expensive but I care not the cheaper the better lol....so shop around and ask them if they will beat price match other quotes ;)

$100 a tyre? The cheapest, lowest rated tyres I could find for my car was $120 a piece and that was a discount deal.

There is something to slightly better tyre over a complete no brand.

Stopping distance can be quite a different, tyre noise too is the big one and the quality of the warranty. Our old Michelin tyres, well the ones that came with the car that didn't blow out did 40K miles, the Cooper tyres did 11.5K before they were on the metal rims and most of the others did about 25-30K. They're 17" low profile all season tyres, picked for slightly better rain and snow than dry performance though.

You drive a posh motor though don't you? So anything less than $200-300 a tyre has to be a deal.

Poppy girl May 7th 2013 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10697186)
$100 a tyre? The cheapest, lowest rated tyres I could find for my car was $120 a piece and that was a discount deal.

There is something to slightly better tyre over a complete no brand.

Stopping distance can be quite a different, tyre noise too is the big one and the quality of the warranty. Our old Michelin tyres, well the ones that came with the car that didn't blow out did 40K miles, the Cooper tyres did 11.5K before they were on the metal rims and most of the others did about 25-30K. They're 17" low profile all season tyres, picked for slightly better rain and snow than dry performance though.

You drive a posh motor though don't you? So anything less than $200-300 a tyre has to be a deal.

To be honest Bob I have no idea whats on there, will take a peek in the morning, but they have done getting on for 30,000 and yes its a Merc.

Edit I lied 20,000

Michael May 8th 2013 12:05 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10697082)
But one can buy expensive stuff that doesn't last and cheap stuff that does last!

Thanks for the tips, everybody.

Z speed rated tires are the most expensive but generally have the shortest life span even if you don't drive fast. Most of the time you want to stay with the same speed rated tire that was originally on the car since the car's suspension was built for that rated tire. Normally you can switch between tire brands with the same rating but they may have stiffer walls or have a different tread so they can be louder and possibly be poorer handling but they could also possibly last longer even if significantly cheaper. However dropping a Z rating by one or two ratings will generally produce significantly longer lasting tires. For example, dropping a ZRW rated tire to an H rated tire will likely last at least double the life span.

http://tires.about.com/od/understand...-Explained.htm

If you're looking to put inexpensive shoes on a minivan, you probably don't need V-rated tires, even if the manufacturer put them on as the OEM choice.

It's hard to understate how important knowing what the speed ratings really mean can be. If, for example, the manufacturer did put V-rated tires on that minivan, it can be difficult to convince many tire places to put an H-rated on as a replacement. This is less about selling more expensive tires, although that ends up being the functional consequence, and more about fears of liability. The “official line” that tire sellers generally get is “Don't ever put on a lower speed rating than what was already on the car.”

RICH May 8th 2013 12:06 am

I've got Firestone FR710's on my Maxima. No clue what that means -I just had to go and look, but they were a brand I recognized and about the second cheapest available at Tires Plus, 2 years ago. About $500 for the set.

I like Tires Plus as they gave me a store credit card when I was a newbie!

GeoffM May 8th 2013 12:10 am

We went for Futura which seemed not too cheap, average all-rounder. Maybe. :fingerscrossed:

No idea what was on the car originally; we bought it used. And yes, we've gone through three tyres in a year. At least one was due to the wife testing the interference factor between wheel and right kerb. The kerb won.

Do CA road surfaces count as off-road? :blink:

SultanOfSwing May 8th 2013 1:21 pm

I've got Hankooks on mine, got them at Pep Boys (except one mismatched one I got at the dealer when they replaced a wheel for me). Usually I replace them two at a time, about $270.00 for a pair.

They do the job rightly, for my needs.

Sheepdip May 8th 2013 4:09 pm

Got a set of four for SWMBO's car from Sears as they were running a rebate program with Goodyear. Good tyre and very reasonably priced after the rebate.

DavidLemon May 8th 2013 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10696994)
:o I have no clue. The tread on all four tyres of our Dodge Grand Caravan (people carrier) is nearly down to the indicator in the grooves so the tyres need replacing. I've never bought a whole set of new tyres before, usually just make and mend a couple at a time. Must be either crap roads or crap tyres or both!

So, at the risk of sounding asking a highly subjective question, what kind of tyre should I be looking for? At the lower end of the budget. No snow, very little rain, no off-roading (!), erm what else?

I'm also wondering about going for a national chain like Pepboys or a mom'n'pop kind of place...

I went to town fair tyres and purchased a complete set for my t&c which is the same model as yours, and it cost me about $800. They were not the expensive ones but warranty of life for 50000 miles

Poppy girl May 8th 2013 8:25 pm

:frown: The BF checked my tires and they are fine plenty of life left, I was going to have the new ones fitted today, so Les Schwab :wave: never gonna use you guys again, they were the ones that told me I needed a new set, I wasn't gonna buy from them anyways...

SiKee May 8th 2013 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10697176)
the same tires your vehicle was fitted with are likely the best

Not necessarily. Vehicle manufacturers often have trade agreements in place at the time a car is made, which are reflected in the tire choices recommended in the owner's manual.

As the car ages and tyre technology improves, newer models of those tires (and those from the OEM's competitors) supersede the originals and are, consequently, worth looking at.

Personally, I would make sure that the tires fit the rims, are fit for purpose and the fitters offer a good service and a decent guarantee.

scrubbedexpat099 May 9th 2013 3:16 am

I have just got Kumho ECSTA 4X for my summer tyres, I have the snow tires on now and will wait for it to stop snowing before trying them out.

I have separate wheels and use a small diameter wheel for the snow tires.

Yorkieabroad May 9th 2013 3:18 am

We used to have a Durango - the tires it came with were abysmal. They either came with Pirellis and I switched to Michelin, or vice versa - can't remember. The originals would only last 10k miles or so and the shoulders would develop a saw tooth wear pattern so it felt like you were driving over cobbles. When the first pair went, the dealer said they were defective and replaced them for free. 2nd pair, they said it was my tracking, and I had to pay 50% of the replacement, but they fixed the tracking under warranty. 3rd pair (at less than 30k miles!) were about to be replaced when I bumped into a guy on a campsite who I caught checking out my tires (ooeerr missus). He also had a Durango and was checking to see if my tires were as bad as his used to be (they were) then told me he'd solved the problem by switching brands (see above) - I did the same and never had another problem.

GeoffM May 9th 2013 3:42 am

First proper spin on the new tyres (remember we're talking a practical family car, not a fancy motor!) and I'm amazed at how different they feel. Even the wife came in and said "it's really smooth!" so I knew it wasn't just my imagination. Or maybe the tracking was so bad previously: could also have caused bad wear I guess.

Pulaski May 9th 2013 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10699419)
We used to have a Durango - the tires it came with were abysmal. They either came with Pirellis and I switched to Michelin, or vice versa - can't remember. ......

Sounds like they might have been Pirelli's, they are notoriously soft, and often good for performance and sports cars, but I have no idea why they'd make sense on an SUV. :confused:

S Folinsky May 9th 2013 10:03 pm

I've used Discount Tire Centers, if they have a location near you. Also, once you are in their computer, they can really advise you.