Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Type of Visa

Type of Visa

Old Jul 13th 2002, 4:27 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Type of Visa

Hi all,

I have been married to a USC for 7 years and are planning to move to us sometime soon and as fate would have it the company I work for has an opening (very soon) in the us. If (and its a big if) I get the job in the us which visa would be better - get a green card via my wife or get a company sponsored visa and then at a later date get the green card via marriage.
Old Jul 13th 2002, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

pezeke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Type of Visa

A L1 visa would be better. The company is just doing a transfer and your kids can come on a L2 visa. Since your wife is the US citizen once you are ready you can file AOS. A L1 varies in length from 6 months to 5 or 7 years. So you just need to do AOS before you know it runs out. Also once you file AOS you do need advance parole. But all that time in between you do not since you are on L1 then you have permission to come and go without advance parole. So check and see if your employer will do it. It costs close to 1000$. My fiance is coming in on a L1 and it takes about 30 to 60 days depending on the service center. Also once you do file AOS you do not need to apply for EAD as long as you stay working for same employer. And if you do not then there could be problems if your AOS gets denied since you are in violation of your L1. My suggestion is stay working for employer that does L1 and work for them and not get the EAD since you would also save 100$ during AOS by not applying for EAD. I hope I did not confuse you.
Old Jul 13th 2002, 11:20 pm
Northspoon

Patrick <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been married to a USC for 7 years and are planning to move to us sometime
    > soon and as fate would have it the company I work for has an opening (very soon) in
    > the us. If (and its a big if) I get the job in the us which visa would be better -
    > get a green card via my wife or get a company sponsored visa and then at a later
    > date get the green card via marriage.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
I think that may depend on where your living now?? If you both live in the UK u can
get a spousal visa through the american embassy in London in around about three and a
half months.

Old Jul 14th 2002, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

pezeke is an unknown quantity at this point

But L1 quicker and no need to show income for support til later. So it also gives them a chance to get here get a job and show they can support themselves.
Old Jul 15th 2002, 1:20 pm
Andy Platt

Quickest to get an immigrant visa and get it all over with.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Patrick"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been married to a USC for 7 years and are planning to move to us sometime
    > soon and as fate would have it the company I work for has an opening (very soon) in
    > the us. If (and its a big if) I get the job in the us which visa would be better -
    > get a green card via my wife or get a company sponsored visa and then at a later
    > date get the green card via marriage.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 16th 2002, 12:20 am
Paul Helpdesk

If you apply for the Green Card you will have so much flexiblity to travel and change
jobs compared to work visas such as H-1B and L-1.

If you decide to go back, you could always go back.

You may find the following links helpful:

http://www.isso.cornell.edu/immigration/marryusc.html
http://www.visapro.com/Green-Card-Fa...US-Citizen.asp
http://www.visapro.com/Consular-Proc...grant-Visa.asp

Paul @ HelpDesk