British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Type 2 Diabetic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/type-2-diabetic-770556/)

MrsWaring Sep 4th 2012 3:27 pm

Type 2 Diabetic

Hello all!! I am in the process of obtaining my husbands IR-1 (I'm a USC).. We are aiming to move back to the states from the UK in Jan 2013.

I decided to have a full medical done at my doctors on the NHS while its free... fully expected it to come back all clear as I am only 30, average weight/height, live a very active life.. Don't drink/smoke... really boring actually lol. Anyway, as you can probably guess from the Title, it turns out I have type 2 diabetes. All though it is very mild (if that is even possible) and is going to be controlled by diet for next 3 months (and into the future hopefully if diet controll regulates my sugar levels), I am obviously quite concerned that this recent diagnosis is going to have a serious impact on my medical insurance once we are in the US.

Can anyone make any suggestions to put my already stressed mind (stress from visa application/ preparations to move) at ease??

SanDiegogirl Sep 4th 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Type 2 Diabetic

Sorry to hear of the diagnosis. Can stress bring on type 2 diabetes if no other lifestyle aspects are present?

Are either you or your husband going to be working in the US?

A GROUP insurance policy through an employer will be far less rigorous regarding pre-conditions than an individual one.

If you are going the individual policy route it is very difficult to say what the insurance companies will decide as to taking on someone with a pre-condition. You will, of course, have to declare it on any application form.

If when you arrive in the US it truly is being controlled by diet then you stand a much better chance of cover than if you are on a regime of drugs.

I know several people with quite serious pre-conditions, myself included, who were at first refused insurance but, following an appeal and providing various other documentation, obtained cover.

You can only diet, exercise and keep monitoring the condition and then review your options.

MrsWaring Sep 4th 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 10263465)
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis. Can stress bring on type 2 diabetes if no other lifestyle aspects are present?

I am not sure if stress can trigger diabetes. Unfortunately, mine is inherited and I kind of knew it would show its nasty head eventually. Diabetes is very dominitate in the females in my family. I have always been aware of this and therefore have been very careful to have a healthy diet and excercize regime.

Both my husband and I plan on working once we are in the states. Hubby is the only one with a job lined up so far as I plan on taking the first 6 months off to get children settled in school etc. But I don't think my husband's job with have any kind of medical benefits. He is a tanker driver in the UK and has just taken a temp type job at my moms Garden center to bring in a small income while he gets his CDL arranged.

We are moving to Wisconsin and I know they have a pretty good Medicaid/medicare service. I looked into it and it seems while only my husband is working in the garden center, that myself and our sons (all USC's) will be entitled to cover through that. Once we are both working I will just have to keep my fingers crossed that either of us gets a good Group policy.

Thank you for your advice x

SanDiegogirl Sep 4th 2012 4:09 pm

In you earlier posts you said that your father in law was your sponsor.

With him signing to sponsor you so that you do not have recourse to public funds, how are you going to get onto Medicaid?

nun Sep 4th 2012 4:14 pm

I assume you are worried about "pre-existing conditions". If Obamacare remains in place you won't be refused coverage if you have to buy healthcare yourself. I'm not sure when this goes into full effect.

If you have a job the provides Group Insurance you should be covered for pre-existing conditions and some states (eg MA) also don't allow refusal for pre-existing conditions. So you need to doe research for where you intend to live and work.

jackattack Sep 4th 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 10263517)
In you earlier posts you said that your father in law was your sponsor.

With him signing to sponsor you so that you do not have recourse to public funds, how are you going to get onto Medicaid?

I haven't read any previous posts but in the above, the OP states she is USC, which means she shouldn't need a sponsor - right?

SanDiegogirl Sep 4th 2012 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by jackattack (Post 10263553)
I haven't read any previous posts but in the above, the OP states she is USC, which means she shouldn't need a sponsor - right?

Correct, but her husband is a UK citizen.

However, don't think my original questions regarding Medicaid applies, since she and her sons, as US citizens, probably would not come under the "no recourse to public funds" criteria.

fatbrit Sep 4th 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by MrsWaring (Post 10263444)
Can anyone make any suggestions to put my already stressed mind (stress from visa application/ preparations to move) at ease??

Ensure your ability to return easily to the UK if necessary by taking UK citizenship.

MrsWaring Sep 4th 2012 7:39 pm

Yes my husband is the UKC and my Dad is my hubby's joint sponsor. With me being a USC I am still entitled to Medicaid for myself and my children I believe?!? Perhaps I'm not if I am sponsoring my husband as well... now I am confused lol

SanDiegogirl Sep 4th 2012 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by MrsWaring (Post 10263950)
Yes my husband is the UKC and my Dad is my hubby's joint sponsor. With me being a USC I am still entitled to Medicaid for myself and my children I believe?!? Perhaps I'm not if I am sponsoring my husband as well... now I am confused lol

Each State has a different take on Medicaid.

Where are you intending to return to? You could then do a Google search for Medicaid details.

Rete Sep 5th 2012 12:31 am

Originally Posted by MrsWaring (Post 10263950)

If you are on welfare you would be entitled to Medicaid. You would only be eligible for Medicare if you were unable to work because of health issues and if you had paid in 10 years of social security payments.

Medicaid are for those without funds and Medicare is for those who have a disability and have 40 quarters/10 years of social security contributions. This is my take on it from seeing what happened with my dad and two of my friends.

Also why does the new primary physician have to know that you have been told you have borderline type 2 diabetes? You are not on meds and they don't check foreign medical records.

Vimto Sep 5th 2012 1:00 am

As a type 2 diabetic myself many of the drugs I take now are generic and hence are available at your local Walmart or Target at $10 for a 90 day supply (Metformin or Pioglitazone which is now available formally sold as Actos) so if diet alone doesnt work out will not break the bank.
I was diagnosed more than 8 years ago and watching my diet and taking my meds has kept me off insulin despite all the stresses which moving to the US and work have thrown at me.

Stay strong and heathly, get as much excercise as you can without having to nuts, watch what you consume food and drink wise and you will be OK, don't let it get the better of you, you can keep it under control.:thumbsup:

MrsWaring Sep 5th 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 10264332)
Stay strong and heathly, get as much excercise as you can without having to nuts, watch what you consume food and drink wise and you will be OK, don't let it get the better of you, you can keep it under control.:thumbsup:

Thank you Vimto for your encouraging experience and advice! I have already decided that I am not going to let it take over my life! I am the most stressed I have ever been with the visa process for hubby and the move with young children to another country, one that I have not lived in since the age of 16... eeek!!

I am moving to Wisconsin. I have already done alot of research into what is available there for low income (we will be for about the first 6 months until hubby has cdl and I go back to work) and it appears that myself and my children are entitled to help through Badgercare (not sure if this is quite the same thing as Medicaid). It also says that my hubby is entitled to it without any effect on his immigration status. But, it is not complete free. We would pay about $130 to be covered for all 4 of us.

Bob Sep 5th 2012 2:57 pm

Without a group plan, personal plans will be expensive, but you'd want to suck that up and get cover without having a break of 62 days, that way pre-existing can't be excluded. If you do have that break, insurance can and will find a lot of things related to diabetes that will be excluded from cover.

SanDiegogirl Sep 5th 2012 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by MrsWaring (Post 10264664)
Thank you Vimto for your encouraging experience and advice! I have already decided that I am not going to let it take over my life! I am the most stressed I have ever been with the visa process for hubby and the move with young children to another country, one that I have not lived in since the age of 16... eeek!!

I am moving to Wisconsin. I have already done alot of research into what is available there for low income (we will be for about the first 6 months until hubby has cdl and I go back to work) and it appears that myself and my children are entitled to help through Badgercare (not sure if this is quite the same thing as Medicaid). It also says that my hubby is entitled to it without any effect on his immigration status. But, it is not complete free. We would pay about $130 to be covered for all 4 of us.

I don't see how your husband is eligible (certainly not entitled) for BadgerCare since he is not a US citizen and this, being a state and federal welfare program is 'usually' for low income/no income US citizens.

In addition your father is sponsoring him and part of the agreement for sponsorship is that there is no recourse to public funds.