Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Two Years Ago Today

Two Years Ago Today

Old May 25th 2005, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two Years Ago Today

My wife and I arrived in America two years ago today.

The significance of this anniversary is that prior to leaving England it was decided that if we were not sorted out by May 25th 2005 we would look at moving back to England.

Despite a very hard time from the end of 2003 through to August 2004 (no job, no house, no income, homesick and living with the in-laws) I am now working back in the field which I left to move here and am closing on a house on June 3rd.

We went back to England in April 2004 and one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life is get back on the plane to fly back over here.

I still really miss my family, friends, Lancashire and England... but, I suppose that is to be expected.

My advise to anyone worried about settling in or struggling with the differences is to set a deadline... you always have a light at the end of the tunnel. No matter how dark it seems!

Beers tonight to the next two years.
Old May 25th 2005, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Years Ago Today

Originally Posted by CitySimon

The significance of this anniversary is that prior to leaving England it was decided that if we were not sorted out by May 25th 2005 we would look at moving back to England.

Despite a very hard time from the end of 2003 through to August 2004 (no job, no house, no income, homesick and living with the in-laws) I am now working back in the field which I left to move here and am closing on a house on June 3rd.

We went back to England in April 2004 and one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life is get back on the plane to fly back over here.

I still really miss my family, friends, Lancashire and England... but, I suppose that is to be expected.

My advise to anyone worried about settling in or struggling with the differences is to set a deadline... you always have a light at the end of the tunnel. No matter how dark it seems!

congratulations.......never mind beers to next two.....beers for the rest of your life
Old May 25th 2005, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
congratulations.......never mind beers to next two.....beers for the rest of your life
Yes, well done Simon, good old perseverance will get you everywhere.
Old May 25th 2005, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all

Hi,

I'm glad things are now working out for you. And good luck with the house.

I have been here for 11 months and I'm still in the struggling mode at the moment. I haven't been back home yet. I'm kinda putting it off for the very reasons you state. I feel my family, friends and myself need time to adjust to idea of me living over here.

I know things will get better and this is still an adjustment period.

I'm looking forward to moving on and finding a job and some new friends.

Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers

Sue
Old May 25th 2005, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations to you and yours - that's an inspirational post if ever I saw one !

I shall try to emulate your perseverance and determination.
Old May 25th 2005, 5:54 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Congrats on making it this long. Stick with it!
Cheers!
Old May 25th 2005, 6:11 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations on your two years here, CitySimon! Best of luck with the closing on your house. And a pat on the back for what you've accomplished.
Old May 25th 2005, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

It can take as long as 2 years to get yourself sorted. I think thats what surprises everyone when they first come out here, they think the biggest hurdle is choosing an area to live whereas we all know thats only the tip of the iceberg. Well done to you and congratulations
Old May 25th 2005, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm closing in on two years myself. Congrats on your milestone.
Old May 26th 2005, 10:10 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Many many congratulations! Two years to the day after we moved here (I moved, he returned home), we got approved for our mortgage.